Surf Maroc Taghazout Villa
  • Pool
Dar Banana(Agadir)
Sahara Hotel(Agadir)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssurf marocother guestsfood was amazingpacked lunchfeel at homeyoga classestravelled sologreat funlaid backperfect waveslong tableequipment hireairport pickupawesome staffgreen wavesevery eveningoverlooking the sea
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A friend and I booked onto the Surf Maroc Surf and Yoga Camp for one week in July 2014. I'll break things down so you can look at what is most important for you.

Location:
About 30 minutes outside Agadir which is easy to get to from anywhere. The villa kinda had it's own little beach which was lovely as you could go swimming any time. It's very quiet in the area, we never heard any noise from the surrounding buildings. Depending on where you're surfing that day, the drive to the beach can be anywhere from 5-30minutes, so it's all pretty local.

Villa and Rooms:
We had (as far as I can tell) one of the more basic rooms, despite that it was great, plenty big enough for two of us and the bathroom was right next door. Also we were able to get wifi in our room as it was directly under where the router was, which was great as most rooms couldn't get it. The villa itself really reflects the ownership of the company I find, it definitely feels western but has touches of Moroccan culture everywhere, and lots of surf related art and magazines etc. It was very spacious, with several seating areas where you can read or enjoy the view. We did yoga on the terrace overlooking the sea which was really wonderful, very calming to hear nothing but the waves!

Surf Instruction:
We were taught by Fatima and Ema, both of who were absolutely fantastic! They were really patient with the absolute beginners who were really struggling to get to grips with surfing and always made us feel that we were improving (even if we felt like we weren't). Everyday we had 2 hours of surf instruction in the morning then we would either head out for an activity, stay on the beach (continue to surf or sunbathe) or head back to the villa if people wanted to. It was great that there was so much freedom, that you weren't obligated to go back into the sea if the morning's lesson has knackered you out. Over the course of the week I felt myself improve, mostly in my balance and their encouraging teaching would definitely make me want to surf again!

Staff:
All the staff that we met were really professional, friendly and relaxed. Often we ate together but mostly we would be separate from those who were fasting which made sense. There was the sense that everyone at the villa were genuinely friends and very equal.

Food:
The food was awesome! It struck the perfect balance of international and Moroccan cuisines so not as to over saturate people with Moroccan staples. The breakfasts were huge and perfect for heading out to surf. They usually included: bread, spreads, cereal, tea & coffee, fresh smoothies (which are DELICIOUS) yoghurts, nuts, fruit and something that changed every day (pancakes, omelette etc). The lunches were packed and alternated between a rice/pasta salad and a sandwich. Any dietary requirements were very carefully noted and prepared for which was great for those with specific allergies etc. The lunches were more basic but still very filling and tasty considering we ate them on the beach, they also included some biscuits and a piece of fruit. Supper was spectacular! It starts off with nibbles and dips which were my favourite part without a doubt! Usually crisps, homemade dips (from tapenade to guacamole to babaganoush), nuts, bread and veggie sticks. We were usually quite ravenous by 7.30pm so would gorge on the nibbles before supper even came! The mains were really varied and there was always at least 4 options so no one would left with nothing! Followed by desert which was usually homemade and delicious (think fruit tarts, cake, fruit salad etc). The chefs were really lovely too and took such care to ensure that the food was really tasty and varied!

Other Activities:
As part of the package, we had 2 excursions included which we went to in the afternoon after surfing. One was a trip to Paradise Valley which was really wonderful! A series of freshwater pools and waterfalls which were lovely to spash around in and sunbathe around. On the way we visited an Argan Co-op where we were showed how the nuts are pressed and then the chance to buy some. Another day we visited the souks in Agadir which was great. On both occasions we were left to our devices which was nice, as too much organised fun can be a bit boring. One afternoon there was the opportunity to have a local hammam and/or massage which I did not choose to do so can't comment on it but the other said it was great. It was good that Surf Maroc organised it, as I would imagine most people on a short trip to Morocco wouldn't know where to look for a hammam. We went for a meal at another of Surf Maroc's villas which was really nice, it wasn't included in the price but at 120Dh for 3 courses, it was very good value! It was also a chance to meet other guests of Surf Maroc who were staying elsewhere.

Value:
For £519 for the week including everything except the hammam/massage and the meal out, I think Surf Maroc is a BARGAIN! Considering what was included and the quality of it all, I would definitely come back!

Overall I think this place is great, the only reason I may not come back is I wouldn't want to try to top my first time! The teaching, the staff, the location and the food are all so great and they have the whole surf girls package thing down! Although I am a terrible surfer, I enjoyed my week so much I want to take up surfing more (not really possible in London)! I would DEFINITELY recommend this place!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Victoria D
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We took our 3 children (10,13,15) back to Surf Maroc and yet again had the best time - last time at Villa Mandela, this time at Taghazout Villa. Both beautiful places to stay. Yet again, brilliant surf instruction (v patient with neurotic Mum) and great fun for the kids. It was so well organised but low key and unstressy. Food was delicious, great bunch of people all mixing together. Yoga looking out to sea is awesome...laughed and relaxed for 5 straight days. Brilliant.

Room Tip: Was a bit worried about sharing a bathroom but it was not stress Views out to sea are a great start to the day
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got back from a wonderful week at Taghazout Villa. Originally wanted to stay at the Mandala villa but it was fully booked, but now I'm very glad for it! The staff are so friendly and everything is really well organised. Meals are delicious, with a very nice communal atmosphere. surf lessons, wetsuit and board hire etc was so easy - everything sorted for you. If you want to do anything like an excursion or a trip to the hammam the staff are on hand to help. Loved the yoga on the terrace every day. Only small criticism would be that the quality of the surf instructors seemed to be a bit variable, but that's to be expected anywhere.
The accommodation was also very nice - clean and comfortable. Definitely a great place to go, either by yourself or in a group, if you want to surf. That said, if you aren't into the surfing, there might not be that much to entertain for more than a few days.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Surfcarrot
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 days at the end of our 3 week trip to morocco and this place was great, really friendly and really fun!

The villa: lovely, you have great views from all the balconies, the rooms were clean as were the bathrooms. You have free wifi in most areas but they purposefully don't in others which is actually really nice.

The food: amazing! The food was good every night. The evening meals are like a family occasion where all the guests get together and eat (a lot) of great Moroccan food. The breakfast is also good and the packed lunches for those who go out surfing are once again great!

The activities: make the most of your guides if you have a full day surfing! You have a two hour surf lesson in the morning which is good, the instructors group you together based on your abilities and help you through learning or improving on techniques. For the rest of the day you are free to practice what you've learnt and I would advise you ask plenty of questions or help to feel like you are getting your money's worth! The sunset yoga on the balcony is good fun and a nice way to stretch after a days surfing.

The staff: so friendly, every single member of staff we met was lovely, welcoming, and felt like friends by the end of it!

I can't really fault this place and will definitely go back

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've now been back in the UK for just over a week and the post Surf Maroc blues are yet to pass. Without doubt, one of the best holidays I've been on. The team at Surf Maroc create a great atmosphere that is casual and relaxed, but where everything you need is catered for.

The surfing was brilliant and that is thanks to the surf guides that showed us the Moroccan coast. Red and Fatima did everything to make sure that we learnt and had a lot of fun. I wish I could have had a few more days to hone the tips and advice I was given. A perfect excuse to get back out there and I'm hoping to return in Sep/Oct.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
BenSurfMaroc, Manager at Surf Maroc Taghazout Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hey Si,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a rad review for us. Stoked you had a sweet as time.....we did too! Will be rad to see you in the autumn! Stay in touch.
Tom and all the team :)