“Good village pub”
Review of The George at Wath

The George at Wath
Ranked #1 of 1 Wath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2014

After speaking with the locals (including the shoot party that where at the bar) we felt right at home food was good enough and the bar was a plesent place to be, if a little loud. I would put this down to all the hardwood in the place rather than local banter, although the landlady felt compelled to apologise for them. ( a large rug or something to deaden the sound would, in my opinion solve this ). However a recommended place to visit.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank JasonThornton

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Little to fault this establishment. I stayed two nights whilst visiting Ripon Cathedral with a choir.

The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. Excellent breakfast - and I am a fussy vegetarian!

As it is a pub, I was prepared for some noise as I was staying from Friday through to Sunday, but I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't disturbed at all on either night.

The only thing that I think I feel they could improve would be to make the wifi available in the rooms and not just the common areas, but that is a minor point.

I would definitely stay there again if I was visiting the area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed a couple of nights with friends at a weekend. It is a pleasant, friendly venue. Food is nice (no evening meals on Sunday evenings but plenty of places in Ripon). Menu perhaps is a little limiting but not if only staying a couple of nights. Excellent breakfast. Staff very friendly, helpful and welcoming. Room adequate, clean and good shower.

It would be nice to have a better more comfortable seating area for residents and have some softer furnishings in the bar/lounge areas as the hard surfaces reflect lots of noise. Its a hard wooden floor, wooden tables and chairs, a few cushioned upright seats but no soft furnishings. The result is the high frequency sounds of people chattering bounce around and take away the relaxing factor that should be there.

Excellent extras in my bedside drawer - two lady's bras and two pairs of lady's knickers! Clean I hasten to say. I did not try them on! Think mine host had a potential problem as if she rings the previous guest to arrange for same to be sent on the owner may not have been that person's wife! Perhaps the lady concerned may read this and can make contact for the return of her over shoulder boulder holsters and other requisites!

A nice area and lovely countryside. Very friendly pub.

Room Tip: Only saw the one room. Not large but adequate. Nice en suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We loved our stay at The George at Wath. A very friendly welcome, a clean and comfortable room, a great atmosphere in the bar and a delicious breakfast! The village is very pretty and only 4 miles to the centre of Ripon, which made a very pleasant walk on a lovely day. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the George for one night recently and we enjoyed the experience very much. The room was lovely and the evening meal we had was superb. The breakfast was also excellent. The owners are very personable and helpful. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Looking around for wedding venues are hard enough but when we came to the George and met Caroline and Scott we knew this was the place we wanted to spend out special day. Throughout the year of organising, on which I contacted them on numerous occasions, there was nothing they wouldn't help us with. The great thing was being able to customise the menu unlike other hotels that didn't give a choice. When it came to the day, everything was taken care with such care and attention, even down to ordering jn our favourite tipple. All we heard all day from our guests was how lovely everything was especially the food. Would highly recommend the George for any event. Rooms were all lovely and the staff were ever so friendly. Looking forward to returning next year.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight, what a lovely place, rooms very comfortable and beautifully decorated. The owners couldn't do enough for you and were very friendly. Plenty of choice in the bar. We also ate in restaurant, food was beautiful and very well presented. Breakfast was also delicious. Would definitely return!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joanne_romany
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wath
The Ripon Spa Hotel
#5 of 5 in Ripon
The Old Coach House
The Old Coach House
#1 of 1 in North Stainley

Been to The George at Wath? Share your experiences!