“Beautiful beach, nice rooms but bad customer service!”

Royal Decameron Salinitas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at Royal Decameron March 15 and 16, 2014. This is my second time staying at this resort, the first time I didn't care for the food. This second time, the food was a lot better, not exceptionally good but whatever you can expect from an all-inclusive resort.
if you must go and spend some time at the beach in El Salvador, Decameron is probably the nicest place to stay. All rooms have AC and are clean. Some improvements could be done to the bathroom. our shower head was so dirty that the water came out at all different ways!
My biggest complaint is the lack of customer service by the staff. My dad has a bad knee and he cannot go up any stairs, the main lunch area doesn't have an elevator. The 3 times we went to eat, We asked the lady who greeted us (same lady, she was very very pregnant) if we could sit on the ground floor, she reacted like if we were bothering her, she said "what do you want me to do? there's no tables downstairs! I could see that there were some tables that needed to be cleaned and I just headed out to the tables ready to clean them for our group. This happened 3 times! she showed no compassion whatsoever for an elderly handicapped man. Management at this chain of resorts really need to train their staff on "Hospitality"!
A "let me see what I can do" or "we could accommodate your party but might have to wait for a little" anything but "what do you want me to do"!
Expensive, getting better but the staff sucks.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are a must.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Densonioslady
There are newer reviews for Royal Decameron Salinitas

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We decided at the very last minute to go somewhere warm, and this resort was the only one left in our price range. We had heard that El Salvador was dangerous, so we were hesitant. We were quite pleasantly surprised. The resort was lovely, and very comfortable. The grounds are gorgeous and very clean. The pool in the ocean is great. I couldn't believe how warm the water was. The service was very friendly. Not everyone spoke English, but if that's what you're looking for, don't go to a Spanish speaking country! Tourism is still quite new there, so it will take a while.The staff tried their best to communicate and it wasn't a problem. The food was fine. The a la carte restaurants were quite good .Some of the entertainment was very well done. The water sports are skimpy. They could definitely improve there. The spa was a treat-so relaxing! We took one excursion which was riding buggies in the mountains. A total blast! We loved it. Our guide, Veronica was amazing.. All in all, we had a very relaxing time and couldn't believe the value for the money.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TorontoGizmo
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I recently enjoyed a week in El Salvador, staying at the Royal Decameron Salinitas. I will do my best to explain the positive and the negative. Overall, I would like to say that we had a great vacation, and really enjoyed ourselves in El Salvador.

POSITIVES

Resort was very well maintained and looked good... picture perfect

Rooms were large and spacious with efficient HVAC to keep your room cool and we had a nice balcony. Make sure you are in the 3000's or 4000's Room numbers. They are the newest and much nicer, and larger, with good size balcony's. I think we only paid an additional $50 for the entire trip, so well worth it. The lower rooms get blasted with a lot of the party music at the main bar.

Plenty of Tour options. We did the Volcano, Cascades and Guatemala Trip (All worth seeing)

Felt safe, even though the country is not a safe country. We always had Tourism Police and Military Police with us which was good and they came with us on every tour for added protection. I wouldn't really venture off the resort far without them. They were friendly and did their best to make you feel welcomed with their limited English.

Go in the Dry Season.... which extends from Sept till about April. It was 30 - 40 C every day. We had a couple of cloudy days but no rain. Try and climb the Volcano on a 100% clear day as you don't get the same views if it is humid and cloudy. We didn't experience a great deal of humidity, more just straight heat which was nice.

NEGATIVES

The Resort is 2 hrs from the Airport! The Roads are Brutal and the drive was not particularly pleasant. It was worse on the way back to the airport as they decided to take the windy coastal drive. I think there must have been 300 corners and in a large bus, it's not particularly fun, although the views were nice. At the end of the trip, I would rather a direct route.

No matter what the restaurant theme, the food was all very similar (Would like a little more creativity). I would give the Food a 5/10

The Pools were very warm. I am not sure of the temperature, but it felt like soup and not that refreshing. The Cascades waterfall was the only place I could have a cold swim.

Over crowded with Kids! It seems that it becomes a day camp on the weekends with many local tourists coming for the day. We found it hard to find a nice quite location to relax by the pool. Most South American's take a nap after lunch, so between 1-3pm, the pools are quieter, but in the morning, it's madness. I would prefer an Adults Only End and a Family End.

There was one tour guide who pushed her personal political views which I didn't care for. Seemed very 'Pro' the newly elected president who was a Guerrilla in the Civil War. She tended to talk at you, rather than to/with you so it was a bit much. She never stopped talking, so we basically had to switch her off and look out the window.

I would prefer they separate the tours between English and French. It's tough having to listen to both explanations if you don't understand French. You should have the option to take and All English Tour, or All French Tour. There is no quiet on the buses as you have to listen to everything repeated which is a little frustrating.

OTHER

You don't have to wear long pants in any of the Restaurants despite what others have said. While most of the Canadian's would dine in a tidy attire, the South & Central Americans (Most of the people on the Resort) would dine in tank-tops, and shorts, or swimming shorts. They wore hats at the tables and looked very much as if they came straight from the pool or the beach.

Overall, Would I go again? mmmm.... probably not, however, I am glad I did go. Would I recommend someone else to go... yes! Many go multiple times, which I don't get...but it was definitely worth the visit and the safest way to visit Central America.

Room Tip: 3000 Building and 4000 Building
7  Thank Travel_Taniwha
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My experience at this hotel had its ups and downs. Let me start by saying that we had a high expectation for this resort due to the good reviews, but I have been to other resorts in the USA, Mexico and South American, and this hotel has a lot of things to work on. My husband (Salvadorian born) and I stayed here for 4 night and here are some of the highlights of our stay:

Firs of all: We had a morning flight to El Salvador and we ended up getting to the hotel at around noon. Since check in is not allowed until 3 pm, we were told by the security guy at the gate that we were going to be charged an extra $15 fee per person for early check in.

The shuttle service the hotel offers from the airport to the hotel and vice-verse costs $34 per person each way. A taxi will charge you $60 in a car for 4 people.

The check in was fast and easy. However, they do not offer any information unless you ask. I knew more about the resort from what I had read online than from what the guy told us during the check in process. He just gave us the room key, towel cards, and a resort map with the room number written at the corner.

The resort is beautiful and huge, so we were lost the first day. They did not explain where our room was located, so it was even worse.

The room was good, clean and we liked our location. It was on the first floor and we were close to the bar from the balcony.

Reservations: Yes you are on vacation, but you are expected to wake up at 6 am (EVERY SINGLE DAY) so you can be in line at the lobby before 7 am to get a chance of getting a table for one of the restaurants. Same thing to go to the beach.

We tried all the restaurants and the lunch and dinner buffets and they were all OK. There was not one thing that I would say was excellent. Everything was ok.

Drinks are horrible!!!!! They do not know what margaritas or piña colada should taste like, and they only have the cheapest beer you can find in El Salvador.

Service at the restaurants is good. They work very hard to try to make you happy, but I do have to say the employees there discriminate Hispanics or their own people. They worked really hard to please all the Canadians, but I heard a lot of complains from Latino looking people visiting from the USA. I just have complains about people at the front desk. They do not offer any information and are rude.

They will not give you information about the activities. You have to go check the board in the swimming pool area.

The shows were very good. The dancers are amazing and the activities are pretty funny.

Things to do: I do recommend you rent a car at the airport. There is nothing to do around the hotel and the tours are really expensive. The cheapest tour costs $40 per person and takes you to see the "ruta de las Flores" which you can drive yourself if you had a car. If you want to see the Juayua falls, you have to add $40 per person to that and again you could do this yourself if you had a car. They also charge $80 per person to go to the Santa Ana Volcano and my husband cousin booked us on an outside tour for $25 per person for the same tour.

We could not sleep well during any night of our stay. On our first night, the guest in the room right above ours was drunk and left the water running and his room and our room flooded. We had to call and ask for someone to come clean our room. We were offered another room but we had already unpacked everything and it was 2 am so we did not move to the new room. We asked if they could reserve a table for us at one of the restaurants since we did not want to wake up at 6 am due to the incident and they said they could not help us with that. However, another family that complained about the service at the restaurant, got all the reservations done.

On the following day we woke up to the surprise that there was no running water in our tower. They did not inform us in advance that they were shutting down the water system.

The following 2 nights were horrible because all the Canadians leave and arrive on Wednesday, so they start picking up luggage at 4 am on Wednesday and deliver the new luggage on Wednesday night. They make so much noise with their luggage carts.

Phone calls: They charge $3 per minute and you have to leave a cash deposit of $50 if you want to use the service.

Wi-Fi: They only have free wi-fi in the lobby area and it is verrrryyyy slow.

In general: The hotel is average. I do not recommend it, and if you really want to go, I would not stay there for more than 2 nights. You should rent a car and be prepare to be begging all the time for everything: information, help, and everything!!

Room Tip: Rent a car and do not stay there for more than 2 nights! It's boring!!!!!!!
2  Thank Karen P
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Hi

We stayed at The Royal Decameron March 6 -13 2014 in room 2345 in building 2
-- The staff needs to learn more English they all nod & smile but don't have a clue what your saying .all the shows are in Spanish huge disappointment to Canadians & Americans .

--- we spent $450 us dollars on excursions that were not worth the money , The tour guides just sat on the bus or slept to and from , didn't speak or tell us about the country or any history , We went to the Copan ruins in Honrduras and were with an English tour guide while another group was with a French tour guide and they paid the extra $15 to go inside the ruins which wasn't offered to us we ( the group of 8) were very upset that we didn't get to go and when we asked we were told no , I will defiantly not recommend the trips
------no pool activities or swim up bar or beach party or bbqs outside
Most important

We both are being treated for enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC). Ecoli !!!!, We only drank bottled water & didn't eat off the resort as our tummys were already up set and keeping it calm by drinking pepto.

We have travel to many resorts and we have been very disappointed from start to finish as when we were picked up at the air pourt out guide only spoke French so the drive for 2 hrs all the way to the resort he spoke in French and when we asked him to repeat it in English he said Oh no no English !!!!

Then it was mass confusion in the morning for breakfast at 530am for excursions , which we didn't eat at because we couldn't find it & when we tried to ask the staff they had no idea what we said because they don't understand English .

When it was time to head for the airport for home it was confusion yet again as to where the busses where and the tour guides just stood around and didn't instruct anyone as to what was going on , only once we followed other lost Canadians and asked what was going on did they tell us. We have stayed in Mexico & Costa Rica both Spanish Speaking countries & had no language issues
There is No flight out of Ottawa. Ont Canada for El Salvador .. We did not receive a wake up call nor did over half of the people on the tour & yes I asked them ! , We did not know that the breakfast was upstairs no one mentioned that at any of the meeting or when we booked the tours , The employees were standing around, but because they cant speak English or understand when they where asked about the breakfast , We asked & we watched other people ask as well , It was fine we didn't want to eat anyway incase we had issues on the bus !!!
Yes we did get a note under our door & guess what it was in FRENCH !!! I seen the nolitours rep twice once at the meeting & once when I complained .

The beach entertainment was non existent & I was there on 2 wed as well as other Canadians we met & there was no party on the beach with a d.j. , The a la cart portions were small and they weren't that great we ate all of them except the steak house which we were told to avoid , but I will say the cheese cake was good at 2 of them. The food was cold and tasteless .
.I have nothing to gain by telling you that I have an infection due to the food or ice or whatever, No the pepto didn't work with the nausea or the cramping but it did help with the diarrhea, As well as keeping an empty stomach, My wife has it worse than me ,We were already out the money and she didn't want to cancel the trips because we were sick, as it was charged on her mastercard and it said no refunds Nor the fight to get it the charges reversed off the card and there again a language issue, I tried to convince her to go to the doctor there but we both agreed we would have to pay money to see the doctor and there would be a language issue , as soon as we we back to Canada we headed to the hospital & we are both on antibiotics and were told that we could be for up to a month

The bus drivers need more training on how to drive in the fog and rain . It was a very scary bus ride back from Honduras , the weather changed and the driver was pumping the breaks like crazy and swerving , it was obvious he couldn't see ( we sat in the front seats (WonCarlos was the tour guide ask him !!!) I offered some suggestions as I am a professional driver to our tour guide who then translated it to the bus driver , I operate a bus that holds 150 people and drive day & night in snow , sleet, fog, rain & freezing rain

The ocean was beautiful, and the grounds were clean , the pool areas and bars were clean , rooms and hallways clean

7  Thank bluefire65
Reviewed 19 March 2014

If you absolutely have to go to El Salvador, this is probably the best option. That said, you're getting what you pay for. Which is NOT always a good thing. I think most people who are rating this hotel a 4/5 have clearly never traveled . Good idea in theory, but not nearly a world standard. Where should I start? No WIFI in the room , No inside locks, silly card system to get a towel, beds are horrible, bad beach location (good luck with the tide) , pools are all small and shallow, employees are extorted and nobody tips them, rooms have a poor design, food is OK at dinner time, lunch and breakfast are bit cheesy, shower heads are in poor condition, check in lobby is super tacky. All in all, the place is poorly organize . In order to improve the experience , the company will need to invest significant capital.Starting with decent human salaries.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank alicant310
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was our fourth visit (third January 2014). As expected everything was great!!!(food, weather, pools, etc. Staff very very friendly and helpful!. We were there for 2 weeks.

We were on holidays with my step-daughter, her husband and 2 children (We live 10 hours from them; it was bonding time with the kids). We all got sick (on and off during the 2 weeks). Our 5-year old grand-daughter needed medical attention. Medical staff was great with follow-up calls and with services from the kitchen.

There were no problem exchanging money for tips at the reception area.

I lost my passport on the bus from the airport (hotel about 2 hours from airport). JEAN-FRANCOIS RIEL, the representative from Nolitours, was very helpful in calming me and contacting the bus personnel and the consulate in Sal Salvador. Finally, the bus driver found my passport 15 hours after my arrival. I was able to enjoy the rest of our stay.

The play area for the children was quiet and not very busy so our grand-daughters had all the swings, etc. for themselves.

We had a problem with the bathroom; it was looked after almost right after our call.
I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Abuelita1952
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
HOTEL JUAYUA
#1 of 3 in Sonsonate
Santa Leticia
Santa Leticia
#1 of 4 in Apaneca

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!