“Great Budget Vacation!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Toronto, Canada
“Great Budget Vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

A friend of mine and I went from March 20-27th. First I want to say that we paid $940 from Toronto for the all inclusive. I think a lot of these reviews on here are hard to gauge because we don't know how much someone paid. If I paid $650 for this resort I would be ecstatic (and some people did) for $1500 I would be a bit disappointed.

Food:
The food was better than I expected. The variety at the buffet isn't great, but you're not going to starve. There were only a couple meals that I was really disappointing in. This resort actually did beef better than any other AI I have been to. Fusion was the best A la Carte, and Bambu was the worst. I would skip Bambu and do Fusion twice (If you like seafood). For reservations we were able to make them for the whole week the day we arrived. I think people who struggle with reservations are people who come in for a couple days mid week. They're probably all booked up by the people that come in from Toronto and Montreal on AI's, so for them it's easy to get reservations.

Rooms:
The rooms are basic, clean and have comfy beds. There's not much more you could ask for. Most rooms have an ocean view.

Chairs:
The chairs around the pool are a plenty, but they're sooo freaking uncomfortable. We brought dollar store chair cushions for our butts and backs, they helped, but I wish I had a blow up raft.

Spanish:
Yes, most people at the resort speak Spanish, you are in Central America. Do your best to speak Spanish, it's not tough to pick up the basics. The only time it was sort of tough was in the restaurants, the people who take your order don't speak English. However most of the people serving wine seemed to speak English, I thought that was a bit backwards, but we made it through.

Day Trips:
lots of day trip options. Anywhere from $50 - $100

Spa:
You can reserve the tamascalli (steam hut) the day before. It's a great experience, you should go, it's included. Also, you can reserve the jacuzzi for a half hour at a time and it's also included, and there are some comfy chairs there. I got a massage for $35 for a 50 minute massage. It was great and really relaxing.

Pools:
There are 5 pools to choose from. The one by fusion is always very quiet. You're also able to get free wifi at a lot of the pools.

Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alicia V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Czech first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Travelled with my husband February 6 spend 2-weeks in this wonderful country. We loved everything about this resort. It was wonderful to receive our room keys and resort bracelets on the bus from the airport. All staff we wonderful and friendly. The only issue I would say would be the service at the buffet restaurant. It was not great service at dinner.....always hard to get drinks. The alacart restaurants were great and was never a problem getting a dinner reservation. The Fusion and the steak house were our favorites. This is a big resort and lots of nice quite spots to enjoy the beach and warm weather.
Used Cuscatlan Tours for two wonderful excursions. Booked online before we arrived - highly recommend this company. Julio and Emmanuel were wonderful to us.
You will not be disappointed with this resort. My only issue was the beach not a swimming beach. The beach club was great only 20 mins away with a cost of $2. Reservations have to be made the day before not day of. This was a great beach with wonderful waves.
All rooms have a great view of the ocean. If you want a big balcony then reserve ocean view.
Wonderful country with great people. You will enjoy.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank starbucksCanada
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We have been to one other Decameron in Baru Beach Columbia. We were pleased to find out this was similar and well taken care of. The grounds were immaculately kept, pleasing to look at and fun to walk through. Always a surprise awaiting whether it be egrets in the trees settled for the night or the iguanas or a beautiful wave coming over the lava rock reef. Bus ride from airport full of interesting information about the country from the tour guide. Check in made very easy on the bus. Booking the a la carte especially easy at lobby 2, no line up and booked all four at once. Rooms were beautifully air conditioned, ask for one of the towers top floor for an amazing view. Fresh bottles of water in the room each day, no problem with thirst whatsoever. Head on over to the buffet near the Thai Bamboo restaurant for a less busy place to hang out. Lobby 1 is where all the action is and the buffet there is extremely busy compared to the other one. Food was good never went hungry. Make sure to try the kayaks, it is always posted when they are available as it is based on the tide and changes every day. Very fun and safe. Thoroughly enjoyed the sunsets each evening and gave myself a photo challenge of seven sunsets in a variety of locations. Highlight--sitting in the waves taking pictures of the sunset. Used Cuscatlán tours an independent tour company for our excursions and we can't say enough good about them. Booked online prior to going and thoroughly enjoyed our two excursions. Cascade Waterfalls-Hot Springs one day and BuggyTour-Ziplining the other day. Beautiful lunches as well. Definitely would return and do more excursions with them. Service was great at the resort, several servers were happy to practice their English with us and also appreciated us practicing our Spanish with them. Very friendly and happy people. It is a very flat resort so would be a great place for those with limited mobility. The elevators in the towers were never busy and were a blessing on the hot humid days when we didn't feel like climbing stairs.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade fee for a room with a larger balcony. Towers 3 and 4 nice and quiet. There is a poo...
1 Thank Nancygene
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at Royal Decameron March 15 and 16, 2014. This is my second time staying at this resort, the first time I didn't care for the food. This second time, the food was a lot better, not exceptionally good but whatever you can expect from an all-inclusive resort.
if you must go and spend some time at the beach in El Salvador, Decameron is probably the nicest place to stay. All rooms have AC and are clean. Some improvements could be done to the bathroom. our shower head was so dirty that the water came out at all different ways!
My biggest complaint is the lack of customer service by the staff. My dad has a bad knee and he cannot go up any stairs, the main lunch area doesn't have an elevator. The 3 times we went to eat, We asked the lady who greeted us (same lady, she was very very pregnant) if we could sit on the ground floor, she reacted like if we were bothering her, she said "what do you want me to do? there's no tables downstairs! I could see that there were some tables that needed to be cleaned and I just headed out to the tables ready to clean them for our group. This happened 3 times! she showed no compassion whatsoever for an elderly handicapped man. Management at this chain of resorts really need to train their staff on "Hospitality"!
A "let me see what I can do" or "we could accommodate your party but might have to wait for a little" anything but "what do you want me to do"!
Expensive, getting better but the staff sucks.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are a must.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Densonioslady
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We decided at the very last minute to go somewhere warm, and this resort was the only one left in our price range. We had heard that El Salvador was dangerous, so we were hesitant. We were quite pleasantly surprised. The resort was lovely, and very comfortable. The grounds are gorgeous and very clean. The pool in the ocean is great. I couldn't believe how warm the water was. The service was very friendly. Not everyone spoke English, but if that's what you're looking for, don't go to a Spanish speaking country! Tourism is still quite new there, so it will take a while.The staff tried their best to communicate and it wasn't a problem. The food was fine. The a la carte restaurants were quite good .Some of the entertainment was very well done. The water sports are skimpy. They could definitely improve there. The spa was a treat-so relaxing! We took one excursion which was riding buggies in the mountains. A total blast! We loved it. Our guide, Veronica was amazing.. All in all, we had a very relaxing time and couldn't believe the value for the money.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TorontoGizmo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I recently enjoyed a week in El Salvador, staying at the Royal Decameron Salinitas. I will do my best to explain the positive and the negative. Overall, I would like to say that we had a great vacation, and really enjoyed ourselves in El Salvador.

POSITIVES

Resort was very well maintained and looked good... picture perfect

Rooms were large and spacious with efficient HVAC to keep your room cool and we had a nice balcony. Make sure you are in the 3000's or 4000's Room numbers. They are the newest and much nicer, and larger, with good size balcony's. I think we only paid an additional $50 for the entire trip, so well worth it. The lower rooms get blasted with a lot of the party music at the main bar.

Plenty of Tour options. We did the Volcano, Cascades and Guatemala Trip (All worth seeing)

Felt safe, even though the country is not a safe country. We always had Tourism Police and Military Police with us which was good and they came with us on every tour for added protection. I wouldn't really venture off the resort far without them. They were friendly and did their best to make you feel welcomed with their limited English.

Go in the Dry Season.... which extends from Sept till about April. It was 30 - 40 C every day. We had a couple of cloudy days but no rain. Try and climb the Volcano on a 100% clear day as you don't get the same views if it is humid and cloudy. We didn't experience a great deal of humidity, more just straight heat which was nice.

NEGATIVES

The Resort is 2 hrs from the Airport! The Roads are Brutal and the drive was not particularly pleasant. It was worse on the way back to the airport as they decided to take the windy coastal drive. I think there must have been 300 corners and in a large bus, it's not particularly fun, although the views were nice. At the end of the trip, I would rather a direct route.

No matter what the restaurant theme, the food was all very similar (Would like a little more creativity). I would give the Food a 5/10

The Pools were very warm. I am not sure of the temperature, but it felt like soup and not that refreshing. The Cascades waterfall was the only place I could have a cold swim.

Over crowded with Kids! It seems that it becomes a day camp on the weekends with many local tourists coming for the day. We found it hard to find a nice quite location to relax by the pool. Most South American's take a nap after lunch, so between 1-3pm, the pools are quieter, but in the morning, it's madness. I would prefer an Adults Only End and a Family End.

There was one tour guide who pushed her personal political views which I didn't care for. Seemed very 'Pro' the newly elected president who was a Guerrilla in the Civil War. She tended to talk at you, rather than to/with you so it was a bit much. She never stopped talking, so we basically had to switch her off and look out the window.

I would prefer they separate the tours between English and French. It's tough having to listen to both explanations if you don't understand French. You should have the option to take and All English Tour, or All French Tour. There is no quiet on the buses as you have to listen to everything repeated which is a little frustrating.

OTHER

You don't have to wear long pants in any of the Restaurants despite what others have said. While most of the Canadian's would dine in a tidy attire, the South & Central Americans (Most of the people on the Resort) would dine in tank-tops, and shorts, or swimming shorts. They wore hats at the tables and looked very much as if they came straight from the pool or the beach.

Overall, Would I go again? mmmm.... probably not, however, I am glad I did go. Would I recommend someone else to go... yes! Many go multiple times, which I don't get...but it was definitely worth the visit and the safest way to visit Central America.

Room Tip: 3000 Building and 4000 Building
7 Thank Travel_Taniwha
Cypress, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My experience at this hotel had its ups and downs. Let me start by saying that we had a high expectation for this resort due to the good reviews, but I have been to other resorts in the USA, Mexico and South American, and this hotel has a lot of things to work on. My husband (Salvadorian born) and I stayed here for 4 night and here are some of the highlights of our stay:

Firs of all: We had a morning flight to El Salvador and we ended up getting to the hotel at around noon. Since check in is not allowed until 3 pm, we were told by the security guy at the gate that we were going to be charged an extra $15 fee per person for early check in.

The shuttle service the hotel offers from the airport to the hotel and vice-verse costs $34 per person each way. A taxi will charge you $60 in a car for 4 people.

The check in was fast and easy. However, they do not offer any information unless you ask. I knew more about the resort from what I had read online than from what the guy told us during the check in process. He just gave us the room key, towel cards, and a resort map with the room number written at the corner.

The resort is beautiful and huge, so we were lost the first day. They did not explain where our room was located, so it was even worse.

The room was good, clean and we liked our location. It was on the first floor and we were close to the bar from the balcony.

Reservations: Yes you are on vacation, but you are expected to wake up at 6 am (EVERY SINGLE DAY) so you can be in line at the lobby before 7 am to get a chance of getting a table for one of the restaurants. Same thing to go to the beach.

We tried all the restaurants and the lunch and dinner buffets and they were all OK. There was not one thing that I would say was excellent. Everything was ok.

Drinks are horrible!!!!! They do not know what margaritas or piña colada should taste like, and they only have the cheapest beer you can find in El Salvador.

Service at the restaurants is good. They work very hard to try to make you happy, but I do have to say the employees there discriminate Hispanics or their own people. They worked really hard to please all the Canadians, but I heard a lot of complains from Latino looking people visiting from the USA. I just have complains about people at the front desk. They do not offer any information and are rude.

They will not give you information about the activities. You have to go check the board in the swimming pool area.

The shows were very good. The dancers are amazing and the activities are pretty funny.

Things to do: I do recommend you rent a car at the airport. There is nothing to do around the hotel and the tours are really expensive. The cheapest tour costs $40 per person and takes you to see the "ruta de las Flores" which you can drive yourself if you had a car. If you want to see the Juayua falls, you have to add $40 per person to that and again you could do this yourself if you had a car. They also charge $80 per person to go to the Santa Ana Volcano and my husband cousin booked us on an outside tour for $25 per person for the same tour.

We could not sleep well during any night of our stay. On our first night, the guest in the room right above ours was drunk and left the water running and his room and our room flooded. We had to call and ask for someone to come clean our room. We were offered another room but we had already unpacked everything and it was 2 am so we did not move to the new room. We asked if they could reserve a table for us at one of the restaurants since we did not want to wake up at 6 am due to the incident and they said they could not help us with that. However, another family that complained about the service at the restaurant, got all the reservations done.

On the following day we woke up to the surprise that there was no running water in our tower. They did not inform us in advance that they were shutting down the water system.

The following 2 nights were horrible because all the Canadians leave and arrive on Wednesday, so they start picking up luggage at 4 am on Wednesday and deliver the new luggage on Wednesday night. They make so much noise with their luggage carts.

Phone calls: They charge $3 per minute and you have to leave a cash deposit of $50 if you want to use the service.

Wi-Fi: They only have free wi-fi in the lobby area and it is verrrryyyy slow.

In general: The hotel is average. I do not recommend it, and if you really want to go, I would not stay there for more than 2 nights. You should rent a car and be prepare to be begging all the time for everything: information, help, and everything!!

Room Tip: Rent a car and do not stay there for more than 2 nights! It's boring!!!!!!!
2 Thank Karen P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonsonate
Hotel Alicante Montana
#1 of 1 in Barra de Santiago
Santa Leticia
Santa Leticia
#1 of 3 in Apaneca

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!