“Clean, quiet and relaxing”

Wine Country Motor Lodge
Wine Country Motor Lodge
Wellington, New Zealand
“Clean, quiet and relaxing”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Wine Country Lodge. We have stayed here prior and happy to return. Very quiet and relaxing. Room was spacious, clean and only negative being bed was not comfortable and lack of cooking facilities so we used the bbq each night.

Room Tip: Enjoyed being down end by pool and barbeque
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KO_NZ96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Nice rooms to stay in, apart from the awful man who manages the place. We asked nicely for a late check out, but only if it was possible, we said to him more than once it was fine if the answer was no. He eventually said we could have an hour but if we were a minute over he would come up with a crow bar and drag us out! Why didn't he just say no, we would have been ok with that answer as it was a last minute request! The comment was so unnecessary, rude and threatening. The people we were there with had booked their room via wotif, & there was no space for them to mention they were travelling with a 9 month old baby. After the crow bar comment the man decided to have a rant at me about the other peoples baby. Even after telling him it is not my booking or my baby he continued to go on about it. Even though he confirmed he had no complaints about the baby. The worst thing was that he never even had the guts to discuss whatever issue it was that he had with the baby being there. If he wanted to put them in another room away from other guests he should have had that conversation with them at check in. This would have been much easier than having a go at me about it! The room was nice and fairly clean, but the bed was pretty uncomfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ange4hope

Travellers are raving about these Havelock North hotels

Auckland
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights over the weekend of The Mission Concert. it was comfortable, quiet and a great location for going to visit the wineries and beaches in the area. When you book remember there are units upstairs or on the ground floor so if you don't want to climb stairs make sure you say so when booking.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 13 as we like a bath. This had a separate bedroom with two single beds and a doubl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wellington
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Interesting to see the mixed reviews here as we had a great experience. Because we arrived late, I phoned ahead and the room key was left out for us. The unit was spotlessly clean, appliances and kitchen kit was in great condition and the price was really reasonable for our stay. The staff were cheery when we checked out in the morning and we drove away well satisfied with our experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My wife and I were spending our first Christmas and New Years back home in more than ten years. Due to a last minute family health scare, we were in the position of finding one nights accommodation in either Havelock North, or Napier, less than 15 minutes apart. I called this place several days before we were due to be in the area, Mary answered the phone and said "Yes, I have a room available, but I want two nights". After saying I needed one night, not two, she said "I want two nights". Holding my tongue, I said thank you, and hung up. On arrival in the area, we decided to give them a shot, my wife walked into reception, and the man who she talked to (I assume this is Leigh based on their "website") informed her that we wouldn't find a room anywhere in Havelock, Hastings or Napier and would have to drive more than an hour back the way we came to find a room. No offer of alternatives, or sympathy, nothing, just a basic "good luck with that" dismissive attitude. So, back in the car, sitting on the driveway, about to drive off. Leigh comes out, sticks his head in the window of the car (smug attitude and smile still in place" and says "where are you going?". I replied that we would be going to another motel/hotel and that it was a shame as we had heard such nice things about this place. Leighs chest puffed up and he said "What place?" I said "This place, well, at least we had heard nice things, up until now". At which point I rolled up the window and started to drive off, at which point, as clear as a bell and with guests well within earshot he bellowed... well, a word that I cannot use here, but if you take sick and replace the S with a D, and then add head, you will get the message.

Only rating the service level, or rather total lack of service level, as we didn't stay here.

Needless to say, we wont be back, and if possible, a lower rating would have been given.

Room Tip: Best advice to get a good room? Go to the Scenic Te Pania in Napier. Anywhere else but here.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony_Annette
Havey1, Manager at Wine Country Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
These people got angry and confrontational with us because we would not sell our room for 1 night at a very busy time. On our Duty motel site it was showing all motels in the area as being full and that is what we told him. A very one sided review.
Wellington
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here over Christmas. It was a lovely, clean motel, with friendly staff. They have a lovely pool which the children loved. It has a nice seating area around with some shade which is important in the heat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Shannon, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Didn't even get to stay at this place. We booked a 2 b/room apartment for 6 people and was quote $290.00 $50 for 2 extra people, when in fact it should have been $40 going by their website. We only booked 48hrs in advanced but then had to cancel approx 16 hrs later due to my father being rushed to hospital. I had to ring and cancel giving 28 hrs notice and was told that I would be charged the full $280.00 as I hadn't given 48 hrs notice. Now how could I do that when we had only booked 48hrs prior. My husband phoned trying to reason with the rude man and he basically said he didn't care and that was life and also told us he hears stories all the time. We have stayed in lots of accom around the world and have never experienced such disgrace. He also told us that he only works here for wages so didn't care about the place. I have tried to get hold of the owners of this property but have been unsuccessful. In looking at the reviews it appears that this couple should not be in hospitality and should be fired.

Absolutely disgusted customer

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Carla B
When you booked we sent you a confirmation with our cancellation policy clearly displayed.
At busy times when we have turned other people away and would have otherwise been full, in your case someone had cancelled before we offered it to you, then you agreed to take the room so we can't offer it to anyone else. We do understand that it was an emergency for you and we added to your stress and for that I am sorry. Unfortunately we do have to charge people for a cancelled room, if they have not given 48hours notice and we don't resell it. Most motels do this.
As we re - sold your room we did not charge you.
We do not work for wages and we certainly do care about our beautiful motel.