“'Food for the Soul'” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brooklet
lamington
“'Food for the Soul'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Left all responsibility behind and felt totally nurtured by your warm, wonderful, caring staff. Amazing how only two days of pampering, deliciously healthy food (that I didn't have to think about) & time just to be at peace, nourished my soul long after I returned home. Would recommend strongly to anyone needing some 'time out'.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lcaverocker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Thanks again to the wonderful team at Gaia. Again you made us truly feel welcome and nurtured. A return visit after three days last year. This year we came for 4 days maybe next year we can do 5. Gaia really is the perfect place to unwind, relax and be pampered on your own terms. The food is amazing, healthy but delicious too. Yoga every morning was a joyful way to start the day and both Clare and Danielle are wonderful and inspiring teachers.
Thanks again to all the spa staff and hospitality team you really make every minute of our stay a pleasant experience.

Thanks again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Getting to what seems to be the most important part first, if you're after a hard core detox, fitness, health programme (which we weren't!) Gaia doesn't feel like the place for you. I've heard the famous Golden Door maybe more down that alley.

More so, we chose Gaia as a balance of spa luxury, getting away from towns and resorts and a good old mini break! It seems to straddle the three well. We stayed just three days but it felt about right... Maybe a fourth would've been good.

The site is beautiful and, while within about 30 mins walk from the nearest village, is far enough away to balance solitude with retaining a half decent mobile signal!

Rooms - we stayed in the most basic Layana suites - are comfortable and well put together, if not luxurious in the way I had imagined they might be (think lovely, but not plush!). Not sure it would be worth extra $ to upgrade - our room was more than fine as it was.

Staff were all really friendly, welcoming and - to my opening comments - flexible. Coffee isn't offered but they'll happily make one if you ask. After 6pm a short wine list comes out. Most people who were there during our stay seemed to partake!

The spa itself was excellent. We had a couple's massage in the secret garden (great room, recommended for a massage and bath!!) and a couple of other treatments including the lymphatic for my other half. She raved about it.

Finally, food. Well judged, beautifully balanced, fresh. There aren't choices - while they happily accommodate any dietary needs (which you tell them upfront) you get told what's on for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you don't like what they tell you, they simply change then. All good and nice to be given food you wouldn't necessarily have chosen. Comparison wise, quality of a very good if not absolutely outstanding restaurant. Loved everything on offer.

That's about it. Would I recommend it? Yep, prefacing my comments above. Go again? Yep, happily - and I think my partner may drag me there next year.

Relaxed, refreshed and enjoyed the experience. And surprisingly good value when you break down everything you get in the price of a couples package.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Travelling-Welsh-Boy
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

YES YES YES.

I now know what it is like to be in a world class retreat. Gaia was a wonderful and relaxing weekend away with my friend. Delicious healthy food, beautiful serene surroundings (loved taking lots of photos), superb cleansing and relaxing day spa experience (Byron Dream for me) and rejuvenating Yoga and Pilates classes with experienced instructors. Absolutely wonderful. I especially loved the little nooks you could find to escape, both inside the main house and outside.

We chose the simplest room, Layana, which was bigger than I expected from the photos. All beautifully presented, clean with little touches. I loved the one at the end of a path as it gave us that extra privacy. I good size fridge was very welcoming to our bottle of wine.

The food, outstanding and plentiful! Even for a chocoholic! Definitely will be trying to cook some of the recipes from their cookbook. We even had lunch provided on the day of departure despite having checked out earlier! Wine on offer (additional cost) at dinner.

The staff were exceptional, always helpful. I especially liked the staff that could get the right balance between entertaining interaction and privacy. A hard task. Thanks TIm!

Would I recommend, DEFINITELY! I thought it was definitely value for money.

On another note, you can organise transfers or taxi into Byron (max $60 each way: 20min). We did and went for a nice long walk from Byron Lighthouse into town, great if you want to see a bit more of the region.

Thank you Gaia!

PS they also found me a contour pillow when I need it!

Room Tip: Room at the end of the path gives a little more privacy.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicole33Sydney
Bowral, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Shangri-La is no longer a fictional place. It resides at Gaia Retreat in the sub-tropical hinterland of Byron Bay. Gaia is not a resort - it is a retreat with all the gentle offerings of peace and goodwill in the people that work there, and in the place itself.
The early morning yoga. the fitness workouts, the massage treatments, the days beds with the top-of-the-world views and the serenity of the swimming pool. The bungalow villas were comfortably appointed.
The meals are exceptional and hearty. The service was outstanding - considerate and insightful.
The genuine smiles of welcome from the airport pick up to the farewell hugs have left me overwhelmed. Gaia Retreat, Greg Cave and his Gaia team of angels have achieved heaven on earth. Gaia - please continue to share the love.

Room Tip: When you are in the zone all the rooms are best.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I spent 6 nights tat Gaia after a period of working long hours on a difficult and demanding legal project. Gaia is beautiful and a wonderful environment for resting, relaxing and refocusing. The room was comfortable and well serviced and the food fabulous and plentiful. The daily opportunities for exercise and expending energy and for more meditative activities were well balanced, and the treatments at the spa, and products used, were of such quality that I felt such personal tranquility and beauty after each of them. I was very impressed by the high standard of staff and the service they provided, and the overwhelming sense that they were enjoying their time working at Gaia as much as the guests were enjoying and benefiting from staying there. The experience was one of balance and harmony, and I feel personally enriched through having spent time there. I will not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: The choice of room depends on whether you are travelling solo or in company and whether you want pri...
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Gaia is my soul sanctuary "mother" I go to when I need to step away from the maddening world and rebalance. This is my third time back and each time it confirms what a special place this is. It ticks all my boxes - beautiful location. The staff throughout Gaia are warm, attentive and genuine people - they really get me as a person not just another guest. The food is out of this world - I'm still dreaming about it. The rooms are relaxing to be in. At the Spa I hand myself over to the most talented therapists and stress slides off and a sense of wellbeing settles over me. In between treatments and relaxation I love making use of the facilities of yoga, trainer, walks and talks. Its always hard to leave but I know I'll be back. Gaia is now a regular part of my wellbeing plan. Georgie xx

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklet
SummerHills Retreat Byron Bay
#1 of 2 in Ewingsdale
Watermark at Wategos
Watermark at Wategos
#25 of 32 in Byron Bay

Been to Gaia Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!