“Good family resort”

Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
CT
“Good family resort”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were there with our daughter and family. The two bedroom lock-off was ideal accommodation. Staff was friendly and helpful. As it was still under renovation the pool and gym was closed. We were there for the skiing somthat really didn't matter. We have booked again for next year when all should be completed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank laksa23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Turkish first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were invited to stay here by Diamond Resorts who must have mined our data courtesy of a timeshare exchange we did last year. Their marketing people called incessantly and the offer kept getting better so we finally gave in and agreed to come for 4 nights at a much reduced rate. We had a previous good experience with Diamond so the thought of sitting through a 90 minute timeshare presentation wasn't terrible. We had some interest in another time share as well. I normally skip these things if I'm not interested because I don't like the feeling that I'm taking advantage of their offer just to get a deal on staying at the resort.

We did understand that the pool/spa was closed for renovation. When we checked in they immediately informed me that I'd be paying a $20 resort fee each night in addition to the stay price. I protested that I had absolutely no notification of a resort fee and that stuff needs to be disclosed in advance. The snooty check in person promptly circled a line on the back of my reservation which said that I might have to pay a $20 parking fee. I told her that I had no car to park. Besides, a parking fee and a resort fee are different. The answer I got was "sorry - I can't check you in without your agreement." Since I had taken vacation time I decided that I had little choice in the matter. I paid the fee under protest. There isn't much of a resort here so a "resort fee" made little sense. No open pool or spa. One pool table. A tiny recreation room. A very small bar. What resort? The place is just a hotel with a kitchen in the rooms. Homewood Suites by Hilton does a better job. Even the lock out room is strangely situated. It is not connected to the main room. On the second day of the stay we had our "tour" of the property and the agent simply would not answer our questions in a timely fashion. We wanted to skip the fluff and get to the details of what costs are, what the program is, what the fees are, etc.... After nearly an hour and a half she finally started answering the questions we had. The prices were astounding so we decided we weren't interested. Then in comes another "manager" who offered a less expensive version. Sorry, at this time we were simply not going to buy into such a high pressure sell job. Then we got a third manager with yet another lower price offer. They should have answered our questions up front and we might have considered one of the smaller choices, but by this time (2 hrs) we just wanted to escape. What a zoo. Once we made it very clear we were leaving, the tone went from slightly annoying to downright rude. In short, they really upset me. I was mad at being lied to about the "resort fee" and the sales people were some of the worst I have encountered in my many years of travelling. There is nothing to offer at this so called resort. It is just a hotel that happens to be located near Heavenly Valley ski resort. I wasted my vacation days and spent money I wasn't happy about.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank traveloften028

Travellers are raving about these Lake Tahoe (California) hotels

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!!!

We are so thankful to have been able to be a guest here at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. The accommodations are magnificent and the staff is dutiful, efficient and incredibly responsive. We had two minor service needs and the staff response was impeccable. I believe the gentleman who fixed the oven door yesterday not only answered the service request within minutes, he came back with parts and fixed it, I believe in less than 20 minutes!!!

If it's in God's will, we will DEFINITELY make a return trip and tell others about this beautiful home away from home and Diamond Resorts International!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ShockandAppalled
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have been owners at this resort for the last 15 years and have stayed here every year over that time. We like this place. The 2 bedroom units are large and have everything you need. There is a full kitchen, 2 full bathrooms, sleeping for 8, with a king bed, 2 doubles, and a pull out couch. The units have recently been renovated and they are stylish and functional. The location is good. It is very near the lake, a mile from Heavenly, and the gondola, and next door to Riva Grill (excellent happy hour).

The place is in the midst of an ongoing renovation. The front entrance is closed, the parking situation with the valets has been moved to the back of the resort and was a bit awkward, but not usually too much of a problem. The pool is closed. I think you can use a pool at a fitness club nearby, but we hardly use the pool as it is, so we didn't bother with that. The internet was free for a change, which was great, but based on something I heard at the desk, I question whether it will remain free. The valet costs something like $20 a day for people that aren't members, which would deter my from staying here if I wasn't an owner and had to pay it. The parking area is far away, but that isn't the guests' fault. The front desk staff were nice and helpful. The concierge desk doubles as an area to sign up for the timeshare tour. I recommend avoiding the tour at all costs. We hadn't gone in years, and got talked into doing it when we had some down time. The pitch this time was the most absurd that I had ever heard. Not worth the $100 at all. The room only gets cleaned once a week, which is fine for us, although that may be an issue for some people. There is a restaurant and bar in the resort, but we haven't used it in years. We love Riva Grill, MacDuff's, Basecamp Pizza, and Stateline Brewery.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room. If you get lucky enough to get one, it will be great.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank advonefin
Corona, CA
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Right on the lake. Close to ski resorts. Room was very nice -- we had a 2 bedroom lock out. Should have been a way to keep the inner doors open (a lockout has a 1-bedroom plus a studio with their own doors and a shared door.)

Pool was closed (which we knew) but could have gotten a temp Jacuzzi for ski season.

Ski tip: Go to Sierra-At-Tahoe skiing versus Heavenly. Much better pricing and about 30 minutes away. Use Liftopia for tickets. Great deals!! Best service and prices for rentals at www.ripnwillies.com/‎

Resort is being refurbished. Construction started WAAAAY too early.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank cvictoriac
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I Stayed at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort the last week of February 2014 with a ski club. The suite, room 520, was well appointed, spacious and clean. The location, a short walk from Heavenly Gondola, is easy even in ski boots. The area provided great après ski and dining options. The free breakfast was great and the happy hours were fun. My interactions with the staff were all positive.

The suite included two flat screen TVs, a couch, dining room table and two comfortable queen size beds. It was spacious enough for two adults with ski equipment. The room is in a very quiet portion of the hotel, far enough from the garden dining space to not hear the nightly happy hours or breakfast noise. The beds were great, I had seven great nights sleep.

The restaurants in the area were a short walk from the hotel and gondola. Included were both upscale and reasonable, and very good, pizza shops.

The ski valet was responsive and always available. The concierge was friendly, and informative concerning local dining spots and activities. I did not have any issue with sales staff; One person on the trip mentioned being offered a sales tour but did not take it. The desk staff were friendly and helpful.

The cooks for breakfast were great. The food was always well prepared and good tasting.

The happy hours with an open bar were well attended and a great place to gather.

Room Tip: Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for 520 or one of the rooms in the same area of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank John M
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Let me first say that the accommodations are good. The rooms were clean and the valet service was great. But, we felt like we didn't have the chance to appreciate the quality because we were constantly harassed by the "sales" staff. It was awkward. They are EXTREMELY pushy about taking a tour and try to bribe you with gifts ($75 visa, extra stay) for attending a 2-hr presentation about their "awesome" hotel. Needless to say, not exactly the way we want to spend our vacation. When you check-in they promise things (ex. late check out), that they only delivered after we complained because we got locked out of our room early.

Overall, we don't plan on staying here again, as the negatives (pushy staff, awkward encounters) outweighed the positive (nice accommodation).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends