“not a place for actually sleeping”

Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Reviewed 25 December 2009

My family booked a place here to gather for the holidays. I read the reviews here and was dreading it. I was pleasantly surprised when I got there, it was fine, clean, if small, and I managed to avoid being marketed to for a time share. 12 dollar parking and 7 dollar a day internet didnt bother me too badly. They have an indoor/outdoor pool, which is nice.

I did have a huge problem with the place though. They start vacuuming the floors at around 10pm and sometimes dont finish till 1am. Then again at 730 am, vacuums hitting the door as they vacuum the hallway. You won't get a good night's rest, but hey, at least the hallway will be clean. I complained twice to the front desk (to the night mgr, Chris) and they were very insistent that at night and in the early mornings were the only times when the place could be cleaned because there was too much foot traffic otherwise (which is utter BS). They werent sympathetic at all that that was also the period of time when people generally like to SLEEP. The night mgr was a real jerk about it. I won't be staying here again, and I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you are a very very heavy sleeper and can sleep through a vacuum being right outside your door. And avoid the front desk staff unless you have no choice. The conversations I had with them would have been hilarious if I was watching someone else have them.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank sorval

Reviewed 16 December 2009

Nice resort in a great location right next to the lake. It snowed the majority of the time so we didn't really get to see the lake or take a cruise. We purchased a package thru Sam's Club which included a fireplace and balcony or terrace. These amenities only come with a bedroom unit, not a studio so you have to ask the Smart Circle staff for it at no extra charge. When we arrived they gave us a 1 bedroom unit with a fireplace but no terrace or balcony. I had to ask them for the correct room and they changed it for us. We had to move everything again to another floor. No lake views available...only for owners. I was irritated that they did this...it's as if they are trying to get away with something or make t he decision based on if you are going to do the 90 minute tour or not, which I declined. They kept offering free stuff to take the tour but I finally made them understand I wasn't interested...tired after travelling all day to get there. My son did give in to the tour thing but they ask for a $50 deposit which I think is crazy. He canceled the next morning and got a refund but was a bit of a hassle. The restaurant was good but a little expensive. No room service. The fireplace didn't work in my son's room and a technician was called twice to fix it. The kitchen is supplied very well and the beds are comfortable. Overall the rooms were very nice and the most of the staff very nice. They charged us for parking at $12 per night when I told them when I checked in that I did not have a vehicle. When I checked out they said this was a bit of problem because they put concierge's up front at check in to boost sales but they don't have access to billing in the computers. Doesn't make sense but they reversed the charges right away....irritating non necessarily. Most of the valets were very helpful in giving information on the area. If you have a group more than 5, you have to tip the valet to get you the right cab so you don't have to pay for two cabs. We enjoyed our stay for the most part. The few irritants could have been avoided but I guess that's the way it goes with timeshares.

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank Guillory
Reviewed 3 December 2009

We purchased a 4 day/3 night package from Sam's Club for this resort. The package insert specifically stated "The Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort offers you 4 days/3 nights in a studio with a balcony or terrace and fireplace for up to four persons". We made our reservation for November, over Thanksgiving. We were given a very small standard room, which did have a kitchenette, but no fireplace and no balcony. Our view was of the parking lot and entry-way where people would walk to get to their cars, although it was never noisy. The room was clean, but incredibly small. It was somewhat claustrophobic. We realized that what we were given was a room that would have been the compendium room to the room next to us which was a one-bedroom with fireplace, flat screen TV, etc., and our room would have been the extra to that - and not meant for anything other than sleeping. It was one door that led into a small anteroom with a room straight ahead, and a room to the right. Soooo small. I had been dreaming of the fireplace for weeks - all cozy. Not to be.

Here are the hidden costs: Parking - $12/day, which was a walk across the street and into an underground, lit garage. We found the public parking area right next to it, under a street light - for free. We told them we had no car, and they wrote it off. Tell them you have no car - they won't charge you. Park somewhere else.

They won't give you a cart to take your stuff to your room. Only the bellman can take it and of course - for a tip. We took our own fold down "dolly" and carried our own stuff. No problem.

Internet is $6.95/day, per computer. But we discovered - as AT&T internet subscribers - we got FREE internet as AT&T offers their subscribers FREE internet at DIAMOND RESORTS! That was a great surprise. Our son had tons of homework to do using the internet over Thanksgiving, and we would have had to shell out the $6.95. The resort staff does not tell you that if you're an AT&T subscriber your internet is FREE.

The pool was constantly in use - full of adults and kids. The hot tub was constantly full. The only time it was quiet was in the early morning before noon.

NO MAID SERVICE. You have to stay there for more than 4 days to get maid service. There is a clothesline built into the tub you can hang the towels on to dry and re-use.
I was making beds every morning - just like at home. Lovely. Did my dishes every day, too.

They do have a nice loft area upstairs with couches/chairs/tables - fireplace and big screen TV. That was usually quiet and we spent some time up there. The bar is small, and right smack in the middle of the hotel and those going to the gym or pool - with kids - have to walk right past it in your wet bathing suit and towels. No private entrance. There is a pool table, and small exercise room. Downstairs are two comfy leather couches in front of a fireplace.

As long as you know how not to get nickel and dimed, and if they tell you your studio has two double beds (hint - that is the small room), then the place is just fine.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank tkmyadvice2
Reviewed 30 November 2009

The first thing to know about this hotel is that there is no daily housekeeping and if you stay less than 5 days, there is no housekeeping at all. So, people let trash bags in the hallways...

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 1 week in a one bedroom apartment which had a full kitchen and a balcony with a view of the lake. The resort was really nice and had everything you needed, check in was really quick and the concierge staff were really helpful and friendly. The resort has a restaurant on site but we didn't use it. The hot tub was fab and the in/out pool was good to. The hotel is really close to Safeway and the brewery pub which sells amazing pizza. The only downside was the $12 a day parking fee but its the same price if you use the valet which we did sometimes and we always got our car quickly.

Lake Tahoe itself is absolutely gorgeous and we did loads of hiking, hired a speedboat one afternoon, went to Virginia City which is a real old west town, drove round the lake and generally took a million pictures!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank poodsuk
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel with a great $79/nite rate through a Travel Zoo alert. The room has a small kitchen with micro, fridge, dishes, toaster, etc. We ate several meals there. As mentioned before, parking can be a challenge but we were there in the off-season and always found a spot in the lot. The concierge was good about getting us tickets to a play in Reno and giving pointers for other activities. We did go to the timeshare presentation which we found interesting, actually. And we got 4 free tickets to the Tahoe Queen. And we went to the Harvey's Casino and won over $100 each time we played! Fun trip.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lolly63
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Unfortunately, 5 days to this resort cost me $1500 more because the vallet hit my car and didn't notify us. The damage wasn't noticed until later, when we left the hotel. The DiamontResort refused to compensate.
You must use vallet parking because the regular parking is always full.

I am not coming back to any of Diamond resort locations.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple