“Needs Cleaning and Updates”

Budget Inn South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I did not feel comfortable at all at this hotel. It was not clean. I ended up taking blankets from my car to use as bedding. I showered with my flip flops on because the shower looked like it had not been cleaned in months. There was so much useless furniture in the room it was cramped. Granted the midweek rate for this hotel is very affordable at $35, for that maybe you can overlook basic cleaning but add in the $20/per pet/ per night pet fee we paid $75 plus tax, WAY too much. I can't imagine what my dogs could have done to that room to make it less appealing. I felt like they needed a bath to wash the filth off after staying there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Just looking for a clean comfortable place easy on the wallet with good location. Passing through on Business - The positive reviews seem fairly accurate. My room was clean as were the sheets. The help was very nice and attentative - asking me if I had everything I needed. For an older motel, I like the whole vibe they have going here. It's unique, It's comfortable. I stay in 5 star hotels to 2 stars. I'd come back. The free wifi, frig, microwave add a lot of value for me. Good location. It's the right balance between proximity with out the noise of the casino traffic. In the immediate area - two breakfast institutions - Red Hut Cafe and Heidis. An upscale restaurant on the lake (Rivas), A new Safeway, an organic food and juice place called Sprouts, Italian, Indian, Mexican and a fav locals spot the Brewery. If your flexible and don't spend your time looking for problems - should be ok. I have had to walk out of many budget like motels. I see no major issues. Could use some paint and the floors creek a little. Their are only a couple smoking rooms...you might steer clear of these if that's an issue.

Room Tip: As is the case with most hotels - upstairs you don't have people walking over you. Maybe avoid r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2013

the positives: the room had a microwave, minifridge, 50 channel cable tv, comfortable bed and pillows, in-room coffee (but the coffee maker was too filthy to use). they offer cheaper w/e rates when you book online on third-party websites compared to other motels.
but the room was filthy- the walls, carpet, bedboard, everything. owners don't seem to care about cleanliness.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We have no big requirements when I book a motel of this category: I don't need a refrigerator, no iron board and so on. BUT: I expect clean bedsheets. I did not get them. Maybe the sheets had been washed but they clearly showed disgusting stains of different colors.
This fact was just in line with the overall run-down impression we had from the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

On the 10th of September, 2013 we stayed a night in the hotel. The rooms are clean, decent and is also very good value for money. We had three rooms with friends and relatives from England and China. They all find the service satisfactory.

The next day we left the hotel and drove north. After had a good time by the lake beach we drove further north and my wife suddenly realized that her hand bag was missing with her passport and my son's passport in it together with cash and credit cards. This was a real shock! Should she could not go back to England on time, huge economic loss might incur to us. We rushed back to the hotel, the hotel lady was waiting for us! It's such a relief! We are really thankful to the hotel owner for their honesty.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

** Bottom Line: Yes, Budget Inn SLT is a good option for "most people", but maybe not "all" people. The rooms and amenities are more comfortable to me than Motel 6, but most of these lower cost motels could use a little paint and may have a few dings. Are you flexible and don't
need the best? If yes, you should be fine here. Solo travelers, business people and couples seem best suited for the lower cost motels in SLT. I have viewed and stayed in several low cost motels in SLT recently and have a short list of 3-5. Budget Inn is one. I have stayed here many times in 2013. It's consistent. The Good: Value, Location, Safety, Clean Rooms. Most abide by not smoking in the rooms. I have had to walk out of many motels including some that are neighbors. Good amenities: AC that works, Iron, On-Premise Washer/Dryer, Free WIFI, Micro/Fridge.** The Bad: Actually, not that bad, but people need to understand, because the margins are low, maintainence goes first to the rooms. The outside does need a little paint and their are a few dings, but the area and the rooms offset this!...I have met and spoke to the owners a few times and they seem interested in doing right and improving the property. They are often making improvements. I look for that. BTW: I believe the pool is in repair mode. No property is perfect and most properties have had bad guest at one time or another. Re: Pools and Kids - If your planning your very important once per year vacation with all your kids and the focal point is the pool - very few budget like Motels in SLT have what your probably looking for - you'll need to go with the more expensive resort like properties or ideally - use the lake which is literally right across the street. The tahoe queen is just 3 blocks down the road. Locally Within Walking Distance: Excellent coffee internet cafe, good Italian "teps" with great salad bar, indian, family mexican place w/great tacos, Burger place, CVS, Heidis breakfast, nice Safeway, Bank, Golf course, brew pub and other nice resorts across the street.

Room Tip: Upstair units would be away from the parked cars of the lower units, but has not been a huge issue...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We drove in after two long days of driving with 4 car sick kids.. and the pool was empty. Fabulous. We were not told the pool was under construction.. or just empty. We don't know what was going on. We immediately cancelled our reservation because a pool was something we needed. But besides the pool it looked gross and run down and old old old. I don't even want to know what the rooms were like.

Room Tip: make sure the pool has water
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family