Lighthouse is only open half days, and only certain days of the week. I'm so glad we planned accordingly!
We got there early for the 12:30 opening, which is good, since there was a throng of people waiting to go through the tunnel when it opened. Only 50 or so people are allowed across the suspension bridge to the lighthouse at once, so you can imagine the crowd and the line that expanded pretty quickly once it opened. We were in the first group. Incredible experience!
Things to know before you go:
1) it's cold out there. Bring at least a sweatshirt. You'll wish you had a windbreaker over it. We were there July 5th and my boys were not happy they only had a sweatshirt.
2) Get there early enough to explore the bunkers and the view, and then around 12 make your way down the path to the tunnel.
3) on the path to the tunnel are lots of seals to watch on the rocks, and amazing views.
4) once through the hand-carved tunnel (wow!) are other great views.
5) people who don't like heights will NOT want to go over the suspension bridge. It's very sturdy, but if it's windy and there are lots of people, it swings. Many people chose to stay on tunnel side and enjoy the view from there.
6) spectacular views for those who visit the lighthouse.
7) long walk back to parking, all uphill (we didn't notice the hill going down!) but it was worth it!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.