“Relaxing way to get away”

Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cherry Valley
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Rooms: The rooms were cozy and had character. The rooms were big enough for our needs although we didn't spend much time in the room. We were mostly out and about on the property or eating.

Location: We were on vacation so we were in no rush. But it was roughly 2 hours outside LA.

Value: The experience of staying in a heritage inn was great fun. We enjoyed our stay.

Reason for stars: Although the property wasn't prestigious, I give it 5 stars for the experience and the stay. The property had a lot of charm and character. We also visited their restaurant which was also great. It was quiet and gave us some "family time". We also took a short trip to the Cabazon Outlet Mall which was great as well. I have suggested the resort to friends who have enjoyed their stays as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank feedthetraveller

Reviewed 30 August 2011

So disappointed in this historic resort! The rooms (800 series) are just awful. The rooms are huge and have beautiful new hardwood floors but the decor, the exterior and amenities are outdated by decades! The furniture is a mix mash of different styles. The sights and the property should be breathtaking, but the grounds aren't kept up and very little of the usable land is utilized. The rooms could use a reference binder about the property, the front desk hours, the directions to the pool, etc. This at one time was a glorious gem, but is very close to reverting to coal.

Dear HSR - hire a property management expert and get some investors.

Room Tip: Don't assume they all come with basics such as radios, dresser, TV and internet access
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lycanthx
Reviewed 22 June 2011

So the bathroom faucet was difficult to shut off and the shower needed some work. The place itself was charming but I was disappointed that the room was not made up when we arrived. The clerk refunded the early arrival fee of $20. (No other hotel has charged extra just because I arrived an hour early to check in.) The clerk gave me the key and charged $20. Went to the room and it had obviously not been cleaned. This at 3 pm. I went back. Clerk was nice and said it would be an hour. We were there for the Lavender Festival which was very nice. After the first night, no service was performed on our room. We went out to dinner at 6 pm and I went to the front desk to ask for fresh towels. Younger clerk told me she was busy and couldn't leave the desk. I said, "That's okay, we are going out to dinner." We returned at 8 pm and still had not received fresh towels much less any tidying of the room. I again went to the front desk. Now the young clerk was a bit snippy when she told me she still couldn't leave the front desk. Towels were later delivered to our door. That day was the last day of the festival. We had a difficult time sleeping due to the young folks who had worked the festival enjoying themselves right outside our window. They were racing around in golf carts and squealing and yelling at one another. Also, they advertised there was WiFi. The WiFi signal was so week my laptop could not connect to the service. Needless to say, we plan to attend the festival next year but we won't be staying at HSR and I won't be recommending this place to my friends. Very disappointed in our stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank DonnaD11
Reviewed 3 June 2011

The resort is well past its prime. Most of the property consists of abandoned buildings. The tennis courts, exercise room, and pool are basically unusable--dirty and in poor condition. Our very large room had been recently renovated with fresh paint, new beds, and a flat screen tv. But the bathroom was in very poor condition. Shower had black spots in places on the grouting. One section of the property, the Spanish courtyard (?) was in much better condition with renovated bathrooms and bed rooms, so we were told. We were there on a Living Social promotion, so we were not given a room in the renovated building. The restaurant was gourmet level in service, food quality, and presentation. There is an excellent museum just up the road and Oak Glen is not far away. For $89 a night including $50 credit for dinner and $20 for breakfast each day, I guess we can't complain too much. Go when the lavendar fields are in bloom.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rbelloli
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We used a Groupon Coupon to try out Highland Springs, mainly because we had just read a food critic's review claiming their steak house was the best restaurant in the region, specializing in local organic produce. The deal was $99 for one night that included a $20 voucher for lunch and a $50 voucher for dinner. We arrived around lunch time, expecting to check in, enjoy lunch and then explore the extensive grounds. We were told that even if our room was ready, we couldn't check in until 4pm unless we wanted to pay a $20 early check-in fee. We stretched out lunch (just average, with several mix-ups due to a staffing shortage) and then set out on a leisurely walk around the property. We were provided with a small map that indicated the general layout, but we weren't given any suggestions and found that the map didn't title many of the more interesting spots, such as ponds or sitting areas. In fact, we were hard-pressed to find a sitting area, although we would have loved to stop and enjoy the water birds and other numerous birds inhabiting the grounds. We eventually found some over-turned abandoned chairs in a deserted area and killed a couple of hours reading.
We again tried in vain to check in around 3pm. At 4pm exactly we were allowed to check in. Our next unpleasant surprise was when we inquired about breakfast. We just assumed that it would be on the grounds and were quite surprised when we were told that we would have to leave and find our own breakfast in the morning. IHOP and Denny's were suggested. What a terrible way to ruin a "nature" stay! We would have been happy with coffee and a muffin, and it wouldn't have taken much effort on their part.
Unpleasant surprise #3--dinner! It's rather unusal to find that a $34 filet mignon comes only with fries and spinach. And then they burned my medium-rare filet! Taste-wise, the replacement filet was no better than the overdone version. My husband's New York steak (also over-cooked) came with a small pile of veggie chips although he had been told it also came with fries. Our server tried to be helpful, but there's only so much he can do to correct the kitchen's mistakes.
We retired to our room, which was clean and quite charming. Too bad we were awakened at 7:30am by the gardener's leaf blower. He had the whole extensive grounds to do but he chose our particular small cluster of guest rooms! After 27 minutes (literally!) of blowing around our front door, our windows, our back door, and the nearby rooms, we gave up the idea of sleeping in. And since there was no coffee to be found on the grounds, we packed up and left!
This place could be so great with a little effort! But our interaction with the people at the desk left us with the impression that they really didn't want our feedback, and there are no evaluation forms. In fact, there was no information at all in the rooms or in the lobby regarding available activities, meals, rules, etc. We are still confused about what they are trying to be. As much as we would love to support them, there were too many failings and we cannot recommend this place to our friends or family. Even with the Groupon Coupon we felt we overpaid!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TTLUT
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Charmingly rustic. HSR is located in a beautiful rural setting, with lovely lavender fields, a few ponds, rolling green hills with sheep (and a llama), an 1100- year-old oak tree, and a large double-pen with 5 pot belly pigs. There are abundant squirrels, rabbits, and a peacock that I thought I saw.

The restaurant features a nice view of the property, and the food ranged from good to quite delicious. I give the restaurant service an A+ for effort and attitude and a B+ for execution. I would definitely return for a meal, and the prix fixe deal is a great value.

The property itself could use some sprucing up on many of the building's exteriors. We were originally given rooms in the Spanish Courtyard that were small, clean and charming, but they had no TVs, and since we wanted TVs to catch the news at the end of the day, we asked to be moved.

We loved our rooms in the 800 section. They were clean, comfortable, attractive, and very over-sized. The only drawback is the bathrooms have not yet been renovated, and so some people might quibble about that, but I would absolutely ask to be put in these rooms again.

The property is huge, and it seemed like everywhere we turned there were gorgeous views. There are activities for families that can be arranged, but for us it was about relaxing with a glass of wine and enjoying the perfect weather.

The only thing that keeps me from giving HSR five stars is the work that remains to be done to make the entire property as sweet as the best aspects I described above. The staff are laid back but very eager to please. I would say go to HSR with an open mind, and you will be very happily surprised.

This is a great place for a romantic trip, and the Desert Hills/Cabazon outlet is nearby, and that makes it a great girls getaway also.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I spent 22nd wedding anniversary at Highland Springs. Intent was to surprise my wife. I'm sure "back in the day" it was a great place. We almost left after we saw the room. Very rustic. Nice floors but old bed and dresser. I was supposed to get a king sized bed but we actually got two twin beds pushed together. Management stated they considered this a king sized bed. Wife was not happy with shower and toilet. Window coverings totally inadequate. Spiderwebs in shower. She will not go back. Nice staff. Great restaurant however.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Ayres Hotel Redlands
#1 of 9 in Redlands
Morongo Casino, Resort & Spa
Days Inn Banning Casino/Outlet Mall

Been to Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!