“What a find!”
Review of Aux Quatre Saisons

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Axat
Aux Quatre Saisons
Ranked #1 of 3 Axat B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stopped here because it was reccomended by people in the village. They were so glowing in their report of how good the place was that we gave it a go. Really excellent! Paul and Val are lovely people and we were made very welcome. The lounge is lit just by candlelight and it is a lovely place to pass an evening. We had only intended to stay one night but actually stayed three. We then detoured on the way home and stayed an extra night as well.

The breakfast is amazing and Paul is an excellent cook. We ate the last wto nights and wished that we had eaten every night. Wonderful food! If you are planning a trip to the Aude valley you absolutely must stay here, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It's not like staying in a hotel, it's like staying with friends and nothing is too much trouble. Overall, a wonderful experiience. Thank you both so much. We will recommend you to all our friends and we are looking forward to seeing you again in May when we will go rafting and take in some more of the beautiful Cathar castles.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed at this Beautiful B&B in September, the grounds and quarters are stunning and the dog is super friendly. We stayed for one evening and arrived late, we missed dinner but were given a small meal. The owners wife was out of town and we were told we need to get up early and get out early due to the errand running that he needed to do. So even though it was 3 hours before check out we got up early and felt rushed to eat a lack luster breakfast and get out.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pueho126
Axat11140, Owner at Aux Quatre Saisons, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Thank you very much for your review but can I respectfully point out the following points. From memory breakfast was served around 9.15am in the morning and while I had to leave after breakfast you would have been very welcome to stay and leave later.

You arrived around 10pm in the evening with no warning that you were arriving late and no previous request for a dinner reservation. We had completly finished serving dinner to our other guests. All the local restaurants were closed.

Despite the fact that you had various food intolerancies including a wheat allergy, one of you was unable to eat cold meats and terrines etc, etc, I made dinner for you especially at around 10.15pm and because it was a simple supper I DID NOT CHARGE you for dinner ie it was free of charge.

I think that while all reviews are personal that the comment about the' lack luster breakfast' is particularly unfair. It was unfortunate that you could not eat the croissants, pain au chocolate or selection of bread but there was also a selection of yoghurts (both fruit and plain), hand cut mountain ham, two types of different local cheese, at least six different flavours of jam, two types of honey, maple syrup, three types of different cereals, an offer of a serving of eggs (boiled, scrambled or fried), a selection of six different teas and either normal filter coffee or Espresso.

You awarded us 3 stars out of 5 for value. To summarise, one night's stay in our large apartment with leather sofas, air conditioning, large flat screen TV with DVD, high speed WI FI, fridge with free drinks, evening meal (albeit rather simpler than normal but still very good quality) and an EXCELLENT breakfast. TOTAL PRICE? only 60 € (or 78 USD).

I thank you for your review but can I very respectfully suggest that if you want to eat at a chambres d'hotes in future and plan to arrive late in the evening that you inform the place beforehand. It will certainly make for a more relaxed visit for you. I thank you for your comments and I am very sorry that you were not fully satisfied.

Kind regards
Paul Bridgestock

Reviewed 18 November 2012

After spending all day on the bike and have been turned down from all the hostels in last 40km on a winding road in November evening, arriving to Aux Quatre Saisons was something indescribable. Not to mention that Paul (the owner) was spending his first off day in half a year and had put "Complet" sign by the house but since it was so dark and we were a bit desperate we didn't see it..! Paul took us in and treated us with 3 course dinner with the pre starters and drinks. The whole experience was so unreal including 28 years old cat in a perfect shape by the fire place that I needed to ask myself it this was even real. Paul gave all his attention and time for us and that really inspired and made me believe in good will of the people. Next day's hiking was also planned by Paul which was just amazing. Big smile on the face and memory of counting 49 lighted candles in a living room while having a dinner previous night we drove back to Spain. -Not hard to guess what was the topic of the car discussion and many days after..!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnnaRinne
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Stumbled in around nine in the evening, after a day on the bicycle and without reservation. We happened to be the only guests, and when we asked the owner Paul about restaurants/dinner options in the vicinity he said "Let me see if I can make you something quick".
Little did we know that "something quick" meant a three course dinner with great wines, cheeses, Pauls company with amazing stories...
The story about our stay in "Aux Quatre Saisons" will be the first one to share, anytime the topic "great travel experiences" comes up at any conversation for a long time to come.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have just returned home from a lone visit to Aux Quatre Saisons in Axat. I stayed for three nights in Val and Paul's excellent establishment. The bedroom was superb. The shower worked perfectly without being electrically pumped. The massive logburner in the lounge radiated fantastic warmth as did Val and Paul.

I spent most of the weekend in the company of Paul, taking him away from his lady wife. The food, wines and company were marvellous. I dined in the company of Catalans, French, Germans and British and learned a great number of new words in many languages in a very cordial environment. Paul introduced me to the butcher, the baker and the friendly proprietor of the bar on the main street. It seemed to me that every resident of Axat knew Vala and Paul and held them in the highest regard. this is truly the entente cordial in operation.

I am already planning to return to the chambres d'hote with my wife and daughter.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The word Excellent is not good enough to describe my experiences here when I stayed last week. Not only is the accomodation fantastic, clean and well appointed, but your hosts Paul and Val are vibrant and welcoming. Nothing appears to be to much trouble for them.
The setting is tranquil and relaxing. The food & wines are excellent - everything is freshly prepared by Paul and he will cater to any taste - not something you would expect from a typical Chambres D'Hote.
Everyone gets the same welcome and fantastic treatment. I am disabled and our hosts went out of their way to ensure that everything was accessable for me and even went out and bought specialist equipment to help me during my stay.
I cannot recommend Aux Quatre Saisons highly enough as words are not enough to describe how wonderful my stay was. If you are travelling alone or with that special someone for a couple of weeks or just 1 night this is the perfect place to stay. Forget expensive hotels - you will have a much better experience at Aux Quatre Saisons.
Thank you very much to Paul, Val & Cartouche for making my stay so enjoyable and unforgettable for all of the right reasons. They are hardworking and deserve to make a success of this.
I know that this sounds like a "rave review", but if you don't believe anything I have said about my stay I challenge you to go and stay here yourselves - you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Garden Room which is self contained with an en-suite. I woke each day to beautiful v...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed at Aux Quatre Saisons for just one night during our cycling trip in the Pyrenees. We were welcomed by the owners Paul and Valerie like old friends - they truly understand how to make guests feel welcome and at home. We wished we could have stayed more than one night!
First, the room was great with a view towards the mountains, a comfy bed, a great shower, and the creature comforts of home were not forgotten. It felt like they had thought of all the little things that are missing from the usual charmless hotels.
Next, we had arranged to have dinner with our hosts. Paul and Val put on an outstanding four course meal, with matched local wines. In addition to the excellent food and wine, our hosts were really good company and we shared lots of good stories.
The whole stay was fantastic, Paul and Val were very welcoming and generous, and went out of their way to make sure we had every comfort we needed (including helping us with our not-so-fresh cycling laundry!). Cheers to Paul and Val!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple