“Fantastic experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pavones
Mira Olas Pavones Cabins
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Getting here is not fun but once you arrive you are in for a treat. This is the jungle and you feel like you are apart of it. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. There is a high powered ceiling fan so it is hot. The room comes with a mini fridge, coffee maker and coffee, and a single burner stove. We felt like we had everything we needed and were a close walk into town and to the beach. The grounds were gorgeous and you could hear the jungle alive around you at all times though particularily at dusk and dawn. Highly recommended.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
miraolas, Owner at Mira Olas Pavones Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hello Jane,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Mira Olas and I hope we get to welcome you again another time.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Pura vida,

Elisabeth

There are newer reviews for Mira Olas Pavones Cabins

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We felt like we were in the jungle, which is amazing, considering it's only a 5 minute walk to 'downtown Pavones' and the surf break. Waves at this time of year are nothing to brag about, but we had them almost to ourselves. November is the end of the rainy season in Pavones and we were about the only tourists. Most places are closed, but that creates a great local charm. You can count on rain, which my wife and I don't mind, since it is warm, creates a mellow mood and has a somewhat soothing quality. The blue sky days come through and then it is a celebration of life in the rainforest, which plays out in the trees right in front of the cabin's hammock equipped balcony. It like a 'performance stage' for the squirrel, white face and hauler monkeys, as well as tucans and blue morpho butterflies. We made a post about our stay on my blog at : http://jorgbadura.com/blog/2012/11/26/costa-rica-dispatches-jungle-cabina/

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Mira Olas was my favorite place in Costa Rica. We came to Pavones for the amazing waves, but staying here was another highlight. The cabinas are perfect surf hideouts- set back from the town amidst tropical fruit orchards and blissful silence. The river running through the property was a lovely bonus- as were the hummingbirds, macaws & toucans we saw daily. Lilli was a lovely host & we appreciated the gifts of fresh fruit she left for us each day. The room was perfect for our needs, and I respect Lilli's choice to not install air-con. Also, the handwritten guidebook was an extremely informative & thoughtful resource.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
miraolas, Owner at Mira Olas Pavones Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2012

Until now I did not realize that I can respond to the posted reviews. Better late than never I would like to thank you and all other guests who commented on their stay for taking the time to write a review and for recommending Mira Olas to other travelers. I'll continue to do my best to make your stay at Mira Olas the best part of your vacation. Next time you visit Mira Olas you'll qualify for the 10% "regulars discount". Thanks again!

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Mira Olas is just a quick walk up the road from the break, but those few feet of elevation get you more of a breeze to cool off with in the evenings, and you're out of the main "town's" noise and activities. Lilli and Steve take meticulous care of the property, and the fruit trees respond with luscious harvests of mangoes, bananas and more.

Unlike some other local properties this one is very secure (thanks in part to Cujo the dog, who keeps his eye on all proceedings). I stayed in one of the bungalows for a week, and it was exactly what I needed after getting thrashed each day by the waves during a big swell. I had no interest in cooking because I was also traveling around the area and helping friends restore a house. I would eat with them at their home and in local restaurants. The room and bath were clean in a spartan way, and perfect for my needs which precluded hanging out inside much. There as no A/C, but I think in this area it's pointless -- you just want a fan to keep the air moving, not an air conditioner which cannot keep up with the heat and humidity. Better to acclimate. The rate I paid was a total bargain.

When you travel to Pavones you're at the end of the (long dirt) road. Next stop is Panama. You want a place that's convenient, secure, and not needlessly or ostentatiously fancy. This is it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Chip B
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I've stayed at Lili's Mira Olas several times over the years and have never been disappointed! It's close to the surf (either by walk or paddle down the river) yet quietly set at the edge of the jungle. Plenty of monkeys, toucans, hummingbirds and blue morpho butterflies to enjoy and a great variety of fruit to pick and eat.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband and I stayed here. The owner, Lili, was great, the rooms are clean and very affordable. The property is lovely, with fruit trees and river access.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This was my second trip to Pavones and I was delighted to stay at Mira Olas's Jungle Deluxe cottage. Staying up the hill (versus the Moderna cabinas) was well worth the extra few steps to be closer to the jungle and the daily wildlife show. The main living area is open air while the bedroom and bathroom are enclosed with screening, which is a nice compromise to staying close to nature. We enjoyed simple fresh food from the grounds and the veg trucks come to Mira Olas and into town (check days with Lilli). We really got into the "return to basics" vibe.

After waking to the high toucan whistles and deep howler monkey calls, my boyfriend headed off to the break and I headed to the local bakery, returning to munch on treats with great coffee. One of my personal favorites was the view from the kitchen window while preparing breakfast (and lunch). Each morning I watched morpho butterflies, hummingbirds, pizote and occasional monkeys. We even had a reportedly rare visit from a pair macaws one morning.

Most afternoons we took the nearby trail to the Rio Claro -clear, cool and crocodile free. Great way to while away the day's heat before returning for a nap or a slow read.

Lilli is a fantastic host. She explains local wildlife, introduces you to the plants and fruits on the property and invites you to share the bounty. She gave us water apples, star fruit, mangoes and a variety of bananas and other fruits. She's also friendly with the local Guyami natives (buy the hats and bags!). Nanni, the groundskeeper, also helped keep us in bananas, and we credit him for the macaw visit.

Mira Olas is rustic and is not for people looking for cush accomodations or cruise-ship styled pampering. It is, however, eco-friendly, low-impact and helps you, the guest, slow down and enjoy the essential nature of Pavones - surf, slower pace, wild life, beautiful views and friendly people. We brag every time we visit about our time Costa Rica and we seem to be always planning when we can slip back down - short or long trips. If you like off-the-beaten track places with friendly folks and quiet places, Mira Olas is for you.

Room Tip: Jungle Deluxe is great for longer visits or those who prefer to cook their own meals. Modernas great...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple