“Excellent place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pavones
La Ponderosa Beach and Jungle Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Pavones B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I visited La Ponderosa on September 2013 and I can honestly tell you that it's one of the nicest places I have ever seen. The room, el Nido, was small but cozy, AC, TV, etc. worked great and was very private; the gardens are very well kept; everything is very clean, the place is beach front; the pool is clean and very well maintained; and they even have a 24/7 mini bar service.

I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a relaxing vacation in the wonderful south of Costa Rica. The owner, Angela, gladly helped us out on the phone and once we got here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nachos18

Reviewed 8 September 2013

What a wonderful place to stay. Our kids loved the grounds and proximity to the beach. Great food! Great waves! Excellent staff. I know my home away from home now. My boys enjoyed the pool, and nature trails. Anything we needed to make the trip fun was there. Bike and boogie board rentals. It was comforting knowing my sons could walk out of their cabin and enjoy the game room or basket ball and even grab a bite to eat without us being concerned for their safety. This place is perfect for singles, couples and family. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Veronica C
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I stayed at La Ponderosa, Pavones, CR, for five glorious nights at the end of July 2013. Marshall and Angela own and run a beautiful garden spot of a hotel right across the street from the Pacific and up the street from several epic surfing spots. La P was clean, AC worked, well constructed and quiet. Food at the hotel restaurant was delicious and reasonable. I have traveled extensively in Latin America, and this is one of the best deals around. I am attempting to return to Pavones for more surfing, and I will absolutely stay at La Ponderosa every time I return to Pavones. R. Tyler M.

Room Tip: My room was Casita #2. Suite. La Lora. Some noise from floor above but not really an issue. Great...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rtm2013
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Myself and my 3-1/2 year old daughter spent two weeks in Pavones in March 2013 and stayed at La Ponderosa. Angela and the whole staff were very accommodating and friendly, which helped make our entire stay very comfortable and helped me keep my little girl interactive and occupied. The pool is gorgeous, perfect for swimming when the tide is high and it is rough for little kids on the beach. Between the pool and the beach right out front we swam all day long. The Rio Claro that runs through Pavones is a great spot for wading / swimming with kids, with crystal clear (hence the name) fresh water and a nice shady canopy of trees overhead. Pavones and La Ponderosa come highly recommended, we will return.

Room Tip: We stayed a couple nights in La Manga, which is a fun tree-house vibe kind of place, with a nice sit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tyler M
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We had the best time. We have never surfed and even if we had not tried it there was still much to do. But, of course we tried surfing! Family of four, two girls ages 9 & 11 and we all said we will return without a doubt. La Ponderosa is amazing. From the rooms (we stayed in the Villa), property and trails, pool, view .... I could go on and on. Most of all, Angela, Marshall, staff and even other guests made us feel like family.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ecastano6163
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is a great place to stay and even has a pool. The landscaping is done wonderfully and I fully enjoyed my stay. Has great lounge area with plenty of games as well as all sorts of plants and flowers and a plethora of wildlife. The owners are very nice and helpful. I highly recommend this place and will be returning. Thanks Marshall.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank puravidatraveler10
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My first visit was in Oct '03. We stumbled into Pavones late night and pulled out our trusted Lonely Planet to find La Ponderosa. It will meet and exceed all your surf travel expectations! If you surf, hike, yoga, and/or lounge/read this is the place to be. We adventured there on a tight budget with the intention of finding a home base while surfing and ended up eating all our meals at their restaurant. It's very affordable! They even host a quiver of board rentals for those that don't want to lug along a surfboard.

We returned to Pavones in April '07 for an epic swell and revisited La Ponderosa. WOW! The grounds look awesome! There are manicured trails leading into the adjacent forest and new massage huts. I think there was even a pool! It's seems as if the owner's followed through on their vision.

Room Tip: We had the resort to ourselves since it was low travel season. Walk the resort and choose. Very qu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Craig V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pavones
Cabinas Jimenez
Surf House
Surf House
#10 of 14 in Pavones
Clear River Sports & Adventure

Been to La Ponderosa Beach and Jungle Resort? Share your experiences!