“Went to Jolly Roger as often as possible while in Pavones”
Review of Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Pavones
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: This is a newly constructed restaurant in Pavones offering an eclectic and very tasty mix of Italian, seafood and Costa Rican dishes. Decor is pseudo-pirate themed, with carved seats and benches and maps inscribed on the tables. We have fantastic fish dishes, sorted salads, main courses from mediterranean and italian area and a lot of different snacks plates (tapas). The owners, Agnese and Daniel, are working hard and well to offer an alternative to the usual Tico fare at a remote location like this.open from Monday to Saturday from noon to 10 pm closed on October and November
Hinckley, Ohio, United States
“Went to Jolly Roger as often as possible while in Pavones”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Didn't try out Jolly Roger until about halfway through our 2+ week stay in Pavones, but I am glad I did. This small restaurant is a great spot to hang out and stuff yourself on freshly prepared, tasty food, and it doesn't help that it is really affordable, too! I would eat there with my little girl, and I would have a couple mixed drinks as well, and the entire bill would be about $20 each time. There were a couple days when it was closed because the water was shut off in town. To other reviewers who gave 1 star because they were closed, chill out, it's Pavones. If it's that much of a problem go find a TGI Fridays, hopefully far, far away from the idyllic surroundings of Pavones.

• Visited March 2013

Highland, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My new favorite restaurant is in Pavones(?)...”
Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

While staying in Pavones for the first week of December, we heard that the Jolly Roger was to open again for the season and that we should go. We had been in town for a few days, apparently very off-season, and found most of the restaurants closed. We were anxious to try something different and our new friends, who own the Sea King Surf Shop in town, said that this place is areal treat.

We arrived on opening night and had the place to ourselves. No problem seating our party of 7 at a long table with a treasure map burned into the top. We soon found that the real treasure was the food and the excellent service by the cool, young couple from Rome that own the place.

As soon as we sat down the hostess/server(I wish I could remember her name) brought complimentary champaign for the adults, some nice juice drinks for the girls and a simple but tasty bruschetta to get things started. Well done. We ordered drinks and many tapas over the next couple of hours and were never left without something fine to sip or munch on.

The guacamole, ceviche, hummus, lightly fried fish and chicken bits were real standouts. We probably tried half of the items on the tapas menus and were quite pleased with every one. The gnocchi with seafood in cream sauce, from the dinner menu, was delicious.

We were so impressed with everything that my wife, daughter and I returned the next night for our "last supper" before returning to the states the next day. Again, many tapas. The tenderloin in wine sauce and chicken in milk are flavors that I can conjure even now. The kid had the pasta with sausage and I had to fight her to get to finish her leftovers. We asked about desert and were promptly served a beautiful crepe with Nutella. A perfect ending to an equally perfect meal.

The owners, he was cooking and she was serving, we're as pleasant and charming as you could find anywhere in the world and I want to send a personal "thank you and best of luck". You really made a great trip to a great little town that much more enjoyable.

Pavones, Costa Rica
“Unique Food and Great Prices . BEER IS COLD”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This restaurant just popped up this year in pavones, Costa Rica.
They are open 6 or 7 days a week. Have very cheap and delicious, unique tapas. (small sample plates) and many types of drinks to choose from.
The BEER IS COLD..WHICH I CAN NOT SEEM TO FIND IN PAVONES.
The tapas are $2 each for the most part and they have full meals like pastas and meats and fish and mediterranean meals and more.
The owners are very nice, quick and hospitable.
There is parking in front and it is just off the main road before the Rio Claro, but across from the bus stop near the little dirt road going to all of the cabinas.
If you are at the super mercado, face the main road and go left (toward the bridge and rio claro.)
You will see a big cell tower on the left, turn LEFT at the first little dirt road up, and it is the second building on the left)
People often can't find it.
But it's super easy.