Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Rinteln79
Basingstoke, United Kingdom

Absolutely did not want to leave...

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 26 Feb 2016
My girlfriend and I were looking for a couple of weeks of pure relaxation. Choosing the right place was tough as there are so many but with the help from Paula from Magic of Maldives we settled on all-inclusive, water villa at Reethi. Wow. Just wow.
If you're after Maldivian oppulence and total luxury then this place probably isn't for you. If you're after just kicking back and literally NOT wearing any shoes/flip-flops etc for the duration of your holiday, comfortable accommodation, great service (Junaid, you were amazing and we will never forget you), unbelievable food and a total slice of paradise then this is it without any of the pretentious requirements you can get.

Is it perfect? No. Of course it isn't. I'm glad we went with the all-inclusive plan as trying to add up everything as you go, especially with drinks such as water, would be very expensive (plus I did drink my body weight in red label...). The food/drink plan was fine as the main buffet restaurant really was fantastic with unbelievable food choices every night, however other activities are not included and can be quite pricey so you need to keep an eye on these. I would highly recommend taking your own snorkelling equipment with you as hiring/buying at the resort is also really expensive and trust me, snorkelling is something you'll be doing a lot of. Our water villa was lovely: very authentic with a comfortable bed and good bathroom. It had tea/coffee facilities etc and a safe, tv (really limited channels. We thought ahead and downloaded several films onto a tablet and this came in handy when the weather closed in for a few days). The usual. The decking area was a decent space with a table/chairs, a couple of loungers and then the ladder down to the ocean. The water villas do appear to be at the end of the island where the ocean is at its choppiest so do take some bathing shoes with you as coral is right there and is painful if you catch your feet on it. My biggest and, really, only issue with the accommodation was the air conditioning. You only get one key to the room and there is a fob on this that you have to plug in to get the air con working. Therefore you can't have it on and cooling your room when you're not there. From an environmental perspective I completely understand this, but rather than a full on restriction on no air-con when not in the rooms perhaps the resort could look at having them on timers? Getting back in the evening after dinner the room could be sweltering and it took a LONG time for the air-con to work and cool the room down. It also doesn't work if you have your decking doors open so it was one or the other. Also, water villas are the premium accommodation at the resort so perhaps a proper coffee machine and just the odd gizmo, like a docking station for an i-phone? We didn't use any of the other accommodations so it is difficult to comment, however the deluxe villas were set back slightly from the beach in the jungle and did have really good dedicated beach spaces, loungers etc. The 'basic' reethi villas were much the same I think, but a bit smaller and don't have tea/coffee facilities.

Now to the good stuff: I managed to do my back in quite badly the day before travelling so flying etc was great fun for me. The whole sea plane/arrival experience for me was not what I was hoping but this was solely down to me being in pain and no reflection on the resort whatsoever. Male airport appears chaotic but actually the transfer from the main airport, then on to the seaplane terminal was smooth. All luggage followed and then there was a brief wait before getting on the sea plane. Yes it was an experience but again due to the pain I couldn't properly enjoy it. The flight was appx 35/40mins and when you're flying over the atoll and seeing all the lagoons below, the sheer wonder of the Maldives hits you. It is just stunning. We had one stop before ours. You get to your resort, onto a jetty where a boat picks you up and takes you the rest of the way (about 10 mins). You get a great view of what is going to be your home for however long. On arrival you get a fresh coconut with the juice and some forms to fill in. Our room wasn't quite ready so we were shown to the restaurant, had some lunch and then were taken to our room. The walk from the water villas to the main reception/restaurant complex is probably 10mins when able bodied so to me it felt like an eternity but even the pain could not detract from how utterly breath taking the view was when you walk out of the jungle and see the water villas in a semi-circle in front of you: I knew then we'd made the right choice. The staff were great in providing me with what can only be described as a mix between a bike/tuk-tuk/wheelchair to help me around the island until my back eased. I had this for as long as I needed it.

The rest of the holiday went by in a blur of relaxing and snorkelling. I'm not PADI qualified however my girlfriend is and she did the house reef dive and said it was very good. The snorkelling was incredible: the coral itself wasn't the most comfortable but the colours and variety of fish etc really was stunning to see. Reef sharks, rays, puffer fish, turtles - all were seen. We also had a fairly up-close-and-personal encounter with a nurse shark which was only mildly unnerving. There was a couple of huge rays resting on the ocean floor. We snorkelled every day (highly recommend the full face snorkelling mask/snorkel - get it from decathalon, appx £30 but a super bit of kit). The resort put buoys out on ropes to show the best entry points to the reefs so it is worth using these.

The beach is great, although sharp coral does get washed up so watch your feet. I spent my time playing with hermit crabs: found them fascinating! There are loads of little lizards but literally no bugs. They spray the island once a week and these keeps the critters at bay. As dusk falls the fruit bats come out and they just keep adding to the surreal nature of this place.

Some previous reviews of this place criticise the aesthetics of the sand bags: seriously, these are the kind of people that don't want to go to a resort like Reethi. The sands are always shifting the sand bags are required to keep the island on some form of substance. Besides, the massive sand bags look like huge rocks and do nothing to spoil any views - provided you're not too precious.

We got room service on valentines and ate on our decking. The resort did everything I asked of them which was great (especially as I only dropped it on them that morning) however this was not included in the all-inclusive and was not cheap, but the theme of the food being absolutely delicious continued.

The rehendi restaurant is the main restaurant (we didn't eat anywhere else and didn't feel the need to). After your first couple of meals you will notice that the same waiter will look after you and learn your likes/dislikes in terms of drinks etc. We had a chap called Junaid (huge Chelsea fan) and he was just fantastic. On our last night he went above and beyond and had the chef prepare us a special meal of squid, prawn, fish, veg etc (all made into smiley faces). I know he didn't do this for everyone and we certainly were not the biggest tippers as we couldn't afford to be. I know he did this because he was our equal and we always treated him as such and we got to know him. His gesture on our last night was wonderful and we will never forget him.

There are bars dotted around the island and the guys doing the drinks are always friendly. Janaka at the water-villa bar (can't remember the actual name of the bar) always greeted with a smile.

We also had the once in a lifetime experience of seeing baby turtles released under the moonlight on the beach. It was a wonderful experience and actually strangely emotional.

Just the other side of reception there is H20 waterworld where you can do various water sports. We took a couple of jet-ski's out for half-an-hour and, whilst far from cheap, it was an absolutely fantastic experience. The gent who runs it is Croatian, 6'10 and really does know his stuff so if you fancy doing day excursions, learning to catamaran sail, windsurf etc then him and his team can do that for you.

I could bang on and on about how wonderful Reethi was, I already have. From the moment we landed to the moment we regrettably had to leave we were in paradise. I knew I'd regret it all seeming so surreal at the time and I already do. We got back on Wednesday and the post-holiday blues have hit me big time!

So, to summarise: if you want full on 5* luxury then this isn't for you. They don't pretend to be anything other than quintessentially Maldivian and they are. It's so relaxing. So easy to unwind. But still very, very comfortable and I am so glad we chose this place. I don't understand the negative reviews, I really don't. But you can't please everyone.

Final one from me: I would strongly advise, particularly if you're a first time Maldives visitor, going through a Maldives specialist. As mentioned above we went through Magic of Maldives and they were fantastic. They're a husband and wife team and the service is second-to-none. Google them and see for yourselves.

Reethi - thank you. We loved it and you did yourselves proud.
Date of stay: February 2016
Room Tip: Water villa all the way for me. Privacy of your own deck as well as designated Sun lounges on the...
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
ReethiBeach, General Manager at Reethi Beach Resort, responded to this review
Responded 7 Mar 2016
Dear Rinteln79,

Thank you very much for your breathtaking review and of course for choosing Reethi Beach with Paula’s help.
We got the chance to welcome Paula and her family on our island and we can say we are blissfully happy working with her! She knows exactly what she is doing and that makes the booking process easy.
We are delighted to hear, that our island was the perfect destination for your holiday and that you had a relaxed and peaceful vacation.
How nice that the Water Villa was the perfect pick for you. While all our Deluxe Villas are located on the beach, our Reethi Villas are in various locations around the island. Some have direct beach access and some are set back with some greenery in front of them. However, the tea and coffee making facilities can be found in all categories.
Please be assured that we will pass your feedback to all the respective departments, especially to Junaid from the Rehendi Main Restaurant and to Janaka at the Handhuvaru Bar (the Dhivehi bar/restaurant names are not always easy to remember. Maybe a small aide-memoire, Handhuvaru means moonshine, because you can see the moon from the Water Villas, where the bar is located perfectly).

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you again to our Resort, maybe for another valentine’s vacation with a romantic dinner on your private terrace, a lovely idea by the way!

£2,304
    £2,489
3.9 miles from Reethi Beach Resort
View more hotels in Fonimagoodhoo Island
3,159 results
All reviews main bar sunset bar water villa fish our honeymoon every night dolphin safari deluxe villa other islands west side sea plane the grill octopus food in the main restaurant room boy room number half board
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 February 2016

Can’t believe we have already been back a week from our blissfully wonderful 14 night holiday at the delightful Reethi Beach Resort. My review affirms what has been written by others who were also there during the first two weeks of February 2016, and who I recognise from their descriptions!
For ease of reference I thought I would bullet point everything – so much to say! Here we go……

> Ambience: Reethi Beach is a really relaxed, chilled, non-swanky, non-stuffy and laid back holiday island in the Baa Atoll, North West of Male. You can walk round the island in a brisk 20 minute stroll. But don’t! You are on holiday, just take your time and enjoy! White sand, turquoise shallows, deep blue sea, breaking waves, palm trees, dense and shady vegetation in the interior ……bliss! There is also the lovely horticultural haven of the Reethi Garden. It’s definitely ‘Shoes? You lose!’ here too. Going barefoot is a great leveller, and everybody smiles and says hello to each other as they stroll around the sandy paths. The staff are delightful, always smiling and cheerful, and so good at remembering names and room numbers and favourite tipples! Whilst there we felt very much as though we were part of a special Reethi Family. Clientele seems mostly Brits and Germans but we met some lovely North Americans too, one young honeymoon couple all the way from Texas for just a week! Mostly…. er ….’mature’ people like us, 50+ I guess, but some younger couples and a few families.

> What to pack: for 2 weeks, Ladies – lots of swimwear (don’t sit around in wet swimsuits for too long!), 3 or 4 beach dresses, sarongs for lunch coverup, hat, shades, one flip flops, snorkel gear. Forget the jewellery and make-up, you won’t be bothered and it’s too hot even for lippy!! Chaps – as above but shorts and t-shirts! Some older chaps had long trousers and shoes for eves – overdressed!!!!! Temp was between 28 and 31 degrees even at night so trust me, pack light.

> Entertainment: Very low-key in the eves. Look out for the programme of events listed at the Reception and main buffet area. There was something at 21.30 each eve in the main bar: a quiz one night, a talk by the Spa ladies another, a talk by the watersports folk, the dive people, disco on Saturday for those who have the inclination to throw a shape, karaoke on Sunday. Maldivian drummers. That’s about it. People happy to play cards, dice, chat etc in the bars. Perfect for us! Also wifi in main areas. Couldn’t get it in the villa but could get it on the beach. Tried to resist it though!

> Food: Fabulous. Beautifully presented without being fussy, and there was a tremendous choice at all the eateries. We were on AI Select so we had free-rein everywhere. Our favourite was the Moodhu, we breakfasted there most days – service was a trifle leisurely but then who needs to rush on holiday. Poached eggs, fresh fruit and fresh orange juice to die for. We split evening meals roughly between there and the Reethi Grill. Takeaway curries will never be the same again! The Snapper in Coconut curry was amazing, as was the Butter Chicken but I think my favourite was the cheapest thing on the menu……. The Kadhai Paneer. So tasty I practically licked the dish clean! Plenty of options for non-spice-lovers too. I also enjoyed the buffet selection, really well presented, great salads too, and you can try lots of new things at once. There is a different theme every night, look out for Maldivian night. The pool also has a good selection for lunch – we stuck to watermelon and feta salad and a bowl of chips between us, too hot for much else really. If I were to make one request though, it would be to have a few more very light lunch snacks available. The portions are very generous!

> Drink: The restaurants had a good wine list, we loved the New Zealand wines but there is something for every taste. We sampled all the bars, each had its own vibe. Needless to say we worked our way through the extensive cocktail menu. The Sunset Bar was soooooo chilled! Anything more than a swimsuit and cover-up and you will be overdressed! Still very warm there till about 6:45pm so take a sunhat and shades even then. The bar near the water villas was very shady and quiet, we enjoyed chatting to the SriLankan barman Janacka there. The Main Bar, which in many resorts can seem a bit impersonal, was just the opposite at Reethi. With palm-shaded decking on the outside, a sandy floor within and comfortable armchairs it was just the place to relax at any time of the day. We enjoyed a coffee and cocktail there after dinner and played endless games of Yahtzee, much to the amusement of the waiters who were keeping tabs on who was winning! There’s a couple of dice forever buried under the decking now!

> Accommodation: Our standard villa on the sunrise side was HUGE! I think the same size as the deluxe ones on the other side. Included a seating area, flat screen TV and voluminous wardrobe space. I loved the outdoor bathroom space with ‘his and hers’ drench showers, and there was also a large bath with a directional hand shower, great for rinsing sand out of where it really doesn’t need to be! TIP – the afternoon sun streamed straight in so keep creams etc in the bedroom to stop them boiling up. If I were to be really picky, the villa was just a little dark especially around the fridge area, and some of the tiles in the bathroom were a little tired, but this is so minor it wasn’t a problem for us. Am only mentioning for info, in case sparkly tiles are top of your wish-list. We did find the aircon a bit drafty, as it was aimed straight at the bed, and my husband just found it too noisy so we stuck with just the fan at night. We could also have opened the doors for through-draft but he was worried about creepy crawlies! (There weren’t any!). Must admit I struggled with night-heat. He didn’t. It’s probably an age thing!

I had wanted a few nights in a water villa but there were none available. However, they seemed a little exposed at the north end of the island, and I would have struggled with steep steps into the water. It was also quite choppy at times, and non-confident swimmers may have struggled there. Also those on the eastern side did not seem to have very nice beach access. There were sunbeds for the water villas but these were quite close together on a bit of beach that was suffering a bit of erosion. Very handy for the lovely beach bar there though!

> Villa location: We had a standard beach villa, no 190 on the Eastern side. In February this is also the breezy side but actually the breeze was lovely - made the sea a bit more ‘exciting’ though! It took me a few days to realise that the villa was actually in a terrace of about 10, as it felt very private tucked away in the vegetation, with just maybe a 20 metre walk to the beach. It was very conveniently located for all the facilities and we enjoyed the comings and goings from the jetty. There were just a few sunbeds on that little stretch of beach between the fish-feeding jetty and the Moodhu Bar, and it felt quite exclusive! You do lose the sun on that side about 4.40 though. So that is the time to wander round to the house reef on the other side for some snorkelling, and end up at the Sunset bar for cocktails!

> AI Select v B & B: Agonised about this and opted for AI Select. It probably would have been cheaper doing B & B as we didn’t really drink much wine, which is where a lot of the Select money goes at $49 a bottle plus tax, and we could only manage one main course in the eves! But who wants to go on hols and count shekels all the time! So lovely just to be able to have whatever we wanted and not worry. The menus are on the website, so you can work out your likely consumption and decide your package on that basis. Personally I would recommend the standard beach villa and AI Select over water villa and B & B!

> Snorkelling: Fish Soup! Astonishing array of fish on the house reef, so close to the beach. The current can be quite strong so check which way it is flowing so you don’t end up going backwards. It was like swimming in an aquarium. Parrot fish that look like they have been at the face-paints, clown fish, angel fish, butterfly fish, sea urchins, lion fish, scary Titans, little sharks……..and best of all, we discovered the turtle on our last day and swam with it for quite a while. A real highlight. We also snorkelled outside our villa on the other side when too lazy to walk round, it was a bit more choppy but still much to see. TIP – get an ‘EasyBreathe’ full face mask from Tribord (via Decathlon or online). Great visibility and no gum-rub as from a normal snorkel. Even if you do look like Darth Vader!

I also took advantage of the introductory dive offer. Realised it wasn’t for me when they put the weighted belt on and I couldn’t stand up! Was a bit disappointed I didn’t take to it, but the snorkelling was so good that I don’t think I missed out on anything.

> Beach: Lovely powdery white sand above the water line, quite extensive on the western side, less on the other side. At the water line the sand can be a little sharp from broken shells and corals, but not so much that you would need jelly shoes. Follow the endless hermit crab trails in the early morning and evening. These little creatures really are comical - take a torch and go for a moonlight stroll after dinner, and you will see hundreds scurrying about, the whole beach is alive with them! Also don’t miss the fish-feeding at 6pm. Massive rays turn up early, snorting and snuffling and demanding food from the fish-feeder who hand feeds them!

> Watersports: Plenty available for those who want it, I am not currently fit enough or we would have had a go at the catamaran sailing. We weren’t disturbed by jetskis etc from where our villa was located.

> Excursions: We only did one of the excursions from our AI package, the sunset cruise. It was a pleasant tootle around for a couple of hours, and we were fortunate that we were able to see the sun go all the way down – often it is a bit cloudy on the horizon. Soft drinks were supplied and the crew very kindly took photos of us (silly Bluetooth selfie stick purchased at Gatwick wouldn’t work!).

We also did the Robinson Crusoe experience. I had read on here that it was not up to much, but actually we really enjoyed it and found it one of the most memorable things! They take you to a long sandbar with a few palm trees, a lot of driftwood and some other vegetation, a couple of sunbeds and a couple of shelters but it does have a certain rustic charm about it. They give you a phone, a first aid pack, a nice picnic complete with satin tablecloth, then they leave you for three hours! It was a little bit surreal and we did a lot of giggling and wrote our names in charcoal on the shelter! We snorkelled a bit but it was not as good as the house reef. Also the sea was a bit lively, which made getting on and off the boat a bit of an adventure. We were grateful for the stiff breeze as it could have been unbearably hot without it, and we were glad we chose to go in the morning. Do try it though, it’s a hoot!

DO take the ‘backstage tour’. It was fascinating. The staff quarters and technical operation is so well camouflaged you are just not aware of it. The kitchens are immaculate and the housekeeping is so slick. The island is very eco-friendly and it is astonishing what they have achieved in such a small space. It also seems the staff are well looked after which is reassuring.

> Spa: Ahhh the spa……… we splashed out on the ‘Bliss’ package for couples on what we later realised was Valentine’s Day! Over two hours of massage and facial followed by a floral aromatherapy bath. Campest thing ever! But my goodness those lovely Balinese ladies don’t half give you a good going over. Found deep tissues I never thought I had! Go on, treat yourselves ! ;)

> Tropical hazards: By which I mean wildlife and insects! The resort is sprayed (eco-friendly) so there are no mosquitos and jungle juice was not required. There were a few ants in the bathroom and a few geckos but to be honest I would have been disappointed if there weren’t. It is the tropics after all and they just add to the ambience. We saw quite a few chameleons who are weird but completely harmless, and look out for ENORMOUS fruit bats at dusk too.

> Journey: We flew Emirates Airbus 380 departing 13.35 from Gatwick, with a stop in Dubai to switch to a Boeing 777 to Male. This got us in early morning, and we then took the seaplane to Reethi – only £130 extra for the two of us – and well worth it! Noisy, smelly, but quite exciting! Ask for earplugs, especially if you are sat behind the engines, and keep a sickbag handy, the smell of other people vomiting could set you off too ;) We arrived on the western side of the island on a rather bouncy pontoon and then had a short boat trip to the island (I think during our summer months the seaplane comes right up to the main jetty on the other side as the breeze switches round then). Allowing for the extra hour, this got us in around midday. On the return journey we had to get the first seaplane out at 7.15am (6.15 Male time) for our 9.15 flight. However, due to the previous day’s storm and subsequent cloud and choppiness, the plane was late and then we had to make an emergency stop for two stranded passengers elsewhere! Some travellers were getting rather anxious but I suspect this happens a fair bit and the transfer people were well-prepared, ushering us quickly to waiting buses and taking care of our luggage. They had also informed the Airline of our possible delay. In the end we had over an hour and our flight was late in from Dubai anyway. Arrived back at Gatwick 7pm, home for tea, toast and Marmite by 8:45pm (2:45am Reethi time!). A long day, but this was a good option for us.

> Travel Agent: We travelled with Magic of the Maldives, and I must say a big thank you to Paula there for being so helpful - especially the tip about the Easybreathe snorkel! Everything was really well organised, nothing too much trouble. Paula was always so prompt about answering my many questions and I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone travelling to the Maldives.

> Summary (at last!): If you are looking for a warm (in every sense), relaxing, friendly, chilled out time with no dressing-up or standing on ceremony, look no further. Reethi is it. Loved, loved, loved it :)

Room tip: Standard villa 190 on Eastern side is HUGE. Terraced but very private. In Feb benefits from being on breezy side.
11  Thank Sally R
ReethiBeach, General Manager at Reethi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2016

Dear Sally R,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review; moreover, for choosing our island for your February escape!
We are amazed to read, that you had such a great time on our island, especially the enjoyable evenings in our Reethi Grill after a day of snorkeling in the house reef or a round of Yahzee.

We would feel honored to welcome you back to Reethi Beach to bury a few more dices under the deck in main bar and check out a few more cocktails! :)

Reviewed 25 February 2016

We spent 9 nights at Reethi Beach over half term with our 3 children (oldest 15, youngest 10) and we loved it.I have been lucky enough to go to a number of different resorts in the Maldives over the years but I think Reethi Beach ticks more boxes than any of the others.

Food: We went half board which worked really well. We chose to have lunch every day in the beautiful Moodhu Restaurant built out over the lagoon. The food was delicious, great service and you would be hard pushed to find a more beautiful setting. Supper was buffet style in the main restaurant with a different theme every day. The cooking was outstanding. My parents visit the Maldives every year staying in different 5* resorts and commented that the food at Reethi was as good if not better than any resort they had stayed at (and that includes Soneva Fushi, Jumeirah, Cocoa etc). The only difference between dinner at Reethi and the top 5* resorts is the slickness of the service and the little extra details of presentation. And you will pay at least three times as much for that difference.

Rooms: We had a two Reethi Villas on the sunset side. They were comfortable and permanent hot water was available in the bathroom which isn't always the case on many islands. The location was perfect, right on the beach with your own sun loungers. My parents had a deluxe villa which was a notch up and possibly worth the extra but it depends on what matters to you.

Reef and Snorkelling: Reethi Beach reef has the best house reef snorkelling I have experienced in the Maldives. It is incredibly easy to access and runs the whole way down the sunset side (you can also snorkel on the sunrise side but it isn't a continuous reef). The coral is nothing special and has suffered like many of the islands but the quantity and variety of sea life was outstanding. It may have something to do with being on the edge of the atoll but there were huge shoals of angel fish, orange toothed trigger fish and many others. We also saw morays, the house turtle, napoleon fish (which I haven't seen for ages), clown triggerfish, lion fish, octopus, surgeon fish, bat fish, reef sharks etc etc etc. We took an underwater camera, bought a book on Maldivian fish and my sons and husband spent most of the holiday underwater taking photos and then ticking the fish off in the book! Every evening at 6pm there would be ray feeding on the beach. This was an amazing sight as at least 10 rays would appear coming right into the shallows and sit on the feet of the guy feeding them splashing as hard as they could to get his attention! They were also accompanied by other fish, reef shark and a guitar shark. One of the highlights of the holiday which is unlikely to be replicated in the near future was the hatching of a nest of turtle eggs. The resort kept them in a safe place for the day as they had hatched at dawn. They were released when it was dark and we got to see them head out to sea.

Watersports: By the time we had exhausted the obvious things on offer and started to look at watersports the weather had become a bit unsettled and we didn't use any. However, we met a couple who took the catamaran out everyday with a skipper and sailed amongst the dolphins who hang out very close to the island. Definitely will be something we do on arrival next year!

Facilities: A real bonus for keeping the kids occupied was the sports centre. Whilst most of the day was spent in the sea, the boys never really sit still. The sports centre is great, with badminton (which they played every day), table tennis, squash and a gym.

Things to note: I guess to keep the price down for guests who don't use the extra facilities on offer you do have to pay for some things. e.g. the sports centre is $7 an hour or you can buy an unlimited weeks ticket for $30 ($50 for a couple) but you do then get bottled water free on every visit. A big tip is to take your own snorkelling equipment. It is very expensive to hire from the dive centre.

In summary, unless you are searching for the smartness that accompanies 5* hotels then I don't believe you can do much better than Reethi Beach.

4  Thank Suzanne-May3

Dear Suzanne-May3,

We were stunned to read your lovely review and we would like to thank you for taking the time to write it! Moreover we would like to thank you for choosing Reethi Beach over all the 5* Resorts for your family holiday.
We can imagine how much fun it must have been to snorkel every day and then come back and tick off the fish names in your book.
You were very lucky indeed, to see our turtles hatching as this is a very rarely happening event but always a precious one.

Overall, we are delighted to hear that you had such a great time on our island and it would be our great pleasure to welcome you back in 2017 so you can experience our water sports center and who knows, maybe another turtle hatching :)

Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

We visited Reethi between 22nd Jan and 3rd Feb and we could not have wished for a more perfect cure to the winter blues. Everything about the island is exactly as the reviews state, beautiful, welcoming, well maintained and peaceful.

My husband spends hours planning our holiday and this was no exception the forums have been wonderful for providing us with all the information we could need so thanks to everyone who replied to him!

We stayed in a standard villa for 7 nights and a Watervilla for the final 3, our first bungalow could not have been in a more perfect spot a few steps onto the beach and sun all day long. The ease of having your own sun loungers really is a huge plus and the rooms are kept so clean and tidy. The Watervilla was stunning and it was so amazing to wake up to the view in the mornings. The only thing was the difference in noise as the last two nights we quite windy so you hear the waves crashing just worth bearing in mind if you are a light sleeper! Lovely to have the private balcony with loungers to relax in and we found that by late afternoon it got a bit breezy so we would head off to the lagoon for a swim and then a drink at the sunset bar to wind down!

After a lot of thought we booked the AI select option and I have to say it was worth every penny, to not have to worry about being up in time for the buffet breakfast, to enjoy the beautiful setting of Moodhu for your own choice of breakfast was wonderful, the added bonus of watching a pod of dolphins swim by in our first day added to the magic! We lived being able to switch between all the restaurants and we want to say that the food in every single one is superb, the standards here are really extremely high and I agree with the majority that the butter chicken in Reethi Grill is to die for! We were made to feel so special with little touches from the waiters who remembered your choice of wines and cocktails although working our way through the excellent wine list did keep them on their toes 😄😄

We had drinks in the main bar every evening and again the service was simply superb with a great choice of delicious cocktails, my husband became rather addicted to the Cafe Royales......

We really enjoyed the technical tour it is fascinating to find out what goes on backstage and is it any wonder the whole island runs like clockwork!

I am usually pestered wherever I go with mosquitos and although we had read that there were none I was still not sure enough until we arrived but the staff have worked hard to keep the island free of them and it really is true!

I am not a confident swimmer at all but came prepared with a flotation vest to go with my snorkelling gear and was delighted to be able to merrily spend my time floating out to the edge of the reef and getting up close and personal with such a stunning mix of fish, not having much to compare it to I enjoyed every minute of it and was delighted with what I saw.

We really cannot recommend Reethi highly enough and we keep looking back at the pictures, facebook updates and forum posts longingly wishing we were still there! A huge thank you to all the staff who made us feel so very welcome and well looked after. So question is will we booking again for next year..... Who knows! But if you do decide to go you won't be disappointed.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank seannaholland
ReethiBeach, General Manager at Reethi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2016

Dear seannaholland,

Thank you very much for choosing Reethi Beach for your winter blues escape and of course for writing this lovely review!
It is such a pleasure to read your stunning comments and we are more than happy that you have had enjoyed your stay with us in its entirety.
The Reethi Select option gives you more flexibility indeed, as you are more or less free of any timetable. Therefore, we can imagine how much you must have liked our Moodhu Bar in the morning especially with some dolphins passing by.

We would feel honored to welcoming you back in 2017 for some more Café Royales and one or the other dinner in our Reethi Grill. Did you try the Saima Garden yet? :)

Reviewed 18 February 2016

We returned to Reethi for the 3rd time in early February and we couldn't fault our 10 nights in a Deluxe Villa near the Sunset Bar. Many Staff genuinely remembered us from last year and our food/drink choices. Mind you, we are a bit 'distinctive' with my curly mop and my husband's very short white/grey hair! We met a few couples from last year and the year before and it was nice to catch up and spend time at the bars (with the perfect Mojito) comparing turtle sightings!

As always, our room was kept spotless and my request for a mattress topper was sorted out within an hour. There were a few of those huge ants round the loo outside, but a large can of Hit! appeared when we mentioned it. The cutely rubbery resident geckos sorted any other little bugs. No mosquitoes, of course, but quite a few biting sand flies this year.

The nightly turndown always involves complicated sheet patterns, but on the evening of my husband's 60th birthday, having received a card from Reethi management in the morning, the bed was decorated beautifully with individual petals and Happy Birthday spelled out with palm leaves. We went to the Moodhu for dinner to find a decorated table and were presented with a bottle of wine, cake and singing afterwards. I know this is what happens for everyone, but it doesn't make it any less special and it's obviously part of the Reethi ethos to make all guests feel that way.

The food was as good, if not better, than last year. We can't comment on the Buffet, but it always looked and smelled amazing, as we had breakfast and lunch at the Moodhu, then alternated between the Moodhu and Reethi Grill for dinner, plus a really lovely Saima Gardens evening. The wine choices were great, as I'm a Marlborough Sauvignon/sparkly fizz girl and husband like his Riojas. It really has to be experienced to capture the atmosphere of dining with your toes in the cool sand, or listening to the waves under the Moodhu. The Staff are all outstanding and friendly.

The beach was really lovely this year; no pumping to spoil the tranquillity. We had a few fun end-of-evening walks along the beach with torches to spot the hermit crabs doing their thing; even had a 'David Attenborough' moment when we watched about 10 crabs line up in size order to swap shells! The stars were incredible as usual.

This year, the snorkeling was amazing; the Reef is improving year on year. We are sure the fish were bigger, bolder and more numerous than last. The spotted rays were cruising about and the huge groupers and the massive Napoleon Fish made their presence felt. One guest, Dave, who's been to Reethi 14 times, said it was like a wardrobe swimming past! We saw a few new species this year and noticed that there were a quite a lot of Titans about too; we gave them a wide berth! We swam with Freddy the turtle on a few occasions and it was such a privilege; my husband also found a much larger turtle near the water villas and mooched about with him for ages. We didn't see an octopus this year though. Next year we might drag ourselves out of the water/bars and onto a few trips to see the Mantas.

Everyone has their own criteria for what makes a perfect Maldivian Island. Reethi ticks all the boxes for us. It's informal, but I can dress up in my maxis for the evening; it caters for everyone, from buffet to silver service, soft drinks to fancy cocktails and top shelf wines and spirits; accommodation choices are excellent; it's truly eco, which we love; the Staff are brilliant; other guests are just really nice, too! We keep looking at other islands, but are already planning our 2017 Reethi return.

6  Thank SunFreak

Dear SunFreak,

Thank you very much for visiting us already the third time and of course for taking your time to write this breathtaking review!
We do feel honored that we fulfill all your personal criteria’s for a perfect holiday. Moreover, it is so good to hear, that you felt welcomed by our staff, in particular with our Moodhu Bar waiters on the evening of your husband’s birthday!

It would be great to welcome you again in 2017 back to Reethi Beach, so that you can visit Freddy again! :)

Reviewed 13 February 2016

Positives
- For the money we paid - absolutely great value for mid-September
- Beach villas and water villas were fantastic and thoroughly enjoyed both
- Staff were absolutely lovely
- Food was delicious - not gourmet - but hearty, well cooked, well flavoured food
- Great house reef and good even for beginners - current can be strong so if not a strong swimmer - life vest helps with confidence - would have liked the buoys to be a bit more visible as these were the routes in and out of the sea.
- We went for the Mantas in Baa Atoll and we saw them!
- Good size island
- Wonderful massages
- Very peaceful
- Own sun loungers on beach when we had a beach villa and when we had a water villa so no fighting for loungers
- Beach and Lagoon were great - no complaints
- Wifi was good
- Night Snorkel was well worth it
- Stingray feeding was not to be missed

Negatives
- Snorkelling trips - the gents leading the snorkel trip could have tried harder to find the manta rays - we were in and out of the water so quickly each time we found the feeding stations we barely had time to look around and the people who lingered in the water hanging around when we were told to get back in the boat saw the mantas who swam away when we first got in. That being said - all local Maldivian staff leading this trip and running the boat were great - a real pleasure
- The sea-plane transfer wasnt as smooth as I would have liked - with hanging around and stopping at other resorts and leaving very early on the day of our flight - not an issue when staying a long time but we only had 5 nights - there was just time unnecessarily wasted

Overall would recommend to others. We are coming back to Maldives but going somewhere 30 mins speedboat ride away and now seduced by water villas with a plunge pool...

Date of stay: September 2015
2  Thank Shabyscooby
ReethiBeach, General Manager at Reethi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2016

Dear Shabyscooby,

Thank you very much for visiting Reethi Beach and for rating our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you had generally enjoyed your stay with us! Please be assured that we will pass your comments to the respective departments and especially to our dive school.

Even though you are planning you next trip on a different island, we would be happy to welcome you again one day on Reethi Beach!