“Unquestionably the Best Pasta I had on my trip”

La Locanda del Papa
Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Genga
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Brampton, Canada
“Unquestionably the Best Pasta I had on my trip”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were wandering around the town of Genga after visiting Frasassi and hoping we could find lunch. I was a bit unsure at first and although my boyfriend understands Italian better than I do we weren't sure what to expect. The menu was handwritten, leading me to believe that the menu changes regularly, if not daily. We each had an antipasto platter that was full of fresh local treats, including figs and some fine cheeses. My pasta noodles were so thin and delicate came with sausage and truffle oil. Hands down the best restaurant pasta dish on my trip. I have no doubt that the cheeses and meats were hand made locally.

Visited September 2013

“Very Nice restaurant”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

This is a restaurant very cheap where you can eat real Italian foot! It's owned by a family and the atmosphere is very nice

• Visited August 2013
Competa, Spain
“A feast in the hidden Marche”
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We were taking a short day trip through the Apennines mountains in the Marche region of Italy on our way to Assisi.
We had stopped for a tour of the Grotte di Frassasi and worked up an appetite hiking to the Sanctuario di Madonna di Frassasi all in the Red gorge.
We saw on a map a medieval town called Genga about 6km further up the road and decided to check it out.
The town itself is beautiful and quiet with fantastic views of the mountains and valleys from it's hillside perch. It is the family home of Pope Leo XII.
We discovered Locanda del Papa as we were leaving Genga. It is on the outside wall opposite the overlook and parking.
The food here was delicious and very reasonably priced and was all local and seasonal.
My husband had the pan seared kid (goat) with local herbs and olives and I had a decadent veal tenderloin with balsamic cream sauce.
We had the best cheese plate that we had anywhere while in Italy that included eight different local cheeses with local honey and fig preserves. We drank a local red wine, Rosso Conero made from 100% Montepulciano grapes that was served in a carafe.
For dessert we had Catalan Creme brought to the table in a large coffee cup with blue flames dancing over the caramelized sugar on the top. It was lighter and not as rich as creme brulee.
The atmosphere was perfect as the restaurant was inside the walls of the old city. Vaulted stone ceiling and rustic carved stone walls with muted lighting.
If you want local, fresh food at a good price and are visiting this area of Italy I highly suggest this little side trip for the food and the views!

1 Thank tatugrl