Trillium Resort and Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$48
US$47
Huntsville Inn(Huntsville)
US$61
US$57
Hotels.com
King William Inn(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$63
Hotels.com
Rainbow Inn(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$56
Comfort Inn Huntsville(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$79
Best Western Plus Muskoka Inn(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$149
Motel 6 Huntsville(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewstrillium resortpost and beamthe main lodgehot tubbreakfast and dinnerget awaythe cottagescocktail hourwinter weddingwedding partysnow covered treessmall appliancescabin doordeck overlooking the lakewedding giftsmall lakespring summer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The most romantic couples retreat The food is always excellent Staff is more then willing to help with your every need There is everything you would need for a great weekend away or week away Quite and peaceful Relaxing Our favourite place to go

Room Tip: Try Falling Waters our favourite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawson064
Robert H, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Dawson064
It was great to see you back again this year. Thank You for your comments. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay.

Robert.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked a vacation expecting "Luxurious accommodations and fine dining for romantic couples" as per the website and got the same experience we did when booking a $50/night motel in Grand Bend last year, which is: a somewhat smelly, musty, outdated cabin with peeling paint in the bathroom, shmushed mosquitoes not cleaned off the walls, and slightly crumbling edges here and there. Yes, younger folks looking to drink and sing by the bonfire would not mind the 'rustic' nature of the cabins (I agree with the other reviewers about the funny smells, outdated décor, creaky doors, etc.) but into middle age you can afford luxury, which would be consistent with to this resort's pricing, and expect to receive what you're paying for. Even in Grand Bend for $50 bucks a night I got cable - here, I had to go sign out dvd's, a number of which did not work. Also, the fact that you don't get a cabin to yourself but rather, have neighbours in each cabin was a surprise and a let-down - this fact must be more clearly posted on the website, the way things are presented you'd think you're getting the nice isolated cabin experience, which it is not.
The employees were otherwise very friendly, accommodating and went out of their way to help us, the meals were average but freshly made (the sprout salad was very good) and there was lots of free wood for the fire. The quality of kayaks and boats could be improved upon (one oar detached from one of the rowboats while we were in the middle of the water and getting back to shore took much creativity and a stoic sense of humour but needless to say, made for a funny story about luxury resort amenities that weren't). Do NOT take the trail that starts from the beach, it is not properly maintained; despite having practically grown up on Algonquin trails I almost got lost after point 7 because a portion is not properly marked and the trail just dies in underbrush. The other patron's review about mosquitoes was not fair - this place does not have more mosquitoes than any other place in its neighbourhood- its Muskoka -if you don't like it, stay in the city.
And to Robert who responds to every negative comment, honey, take a hint, fix the place up as opposed to putting your efforts into justifying what are clear shortcomings and blaming the reviewers. With acceptance comes progress and all that...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank G Z
Robert H, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear DZ
I would like to address your points and opinions. . In our experience some reviews only offer one small perspective of a situation. I try to respond based on the situation as well as offering other facts that may not have been mentioned that the readers may like to be aware of . For instance in your review you suggest that our website states "Luxurious Accommodations and Fine Dining for Romantic Couples" when in fact it does not say that at all. It does speak of charm, cosiness, and casual fine dining. This leads me to believe you may have looked at other Resort options and confused us with them ? The older style oars on the rowboat are made to detach and are in good working order, however new oars and hardware have since been installed. A paddle board was purchased this season and another has been added this week, with some of the canoes and peddle boats roughly being 2 yrs old. All in good working order. We have done, and continue to do upgrades to the cottages including the new flatscreen TV's. This is always on going. I have discussed the paint/trim issue from the cottage you were in with our maintenance manager and as I write this it has been completely fixed and re painted.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We recently had our wedding at Trillium. Robert and his staff couldn't have been more accommodating. Everything was accounted for and I didn't have to worry about anything. The food was amazing and the cottages were spectacular. A very tranquil spot for anyone to vacation or hold their wedding. Thank you again to everyone at Trillium who helped us put this together and make my family and friends feel at home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Robert H, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear LGBurlington

It was a pleasure hosting your wedding and having all your guests here. Thankfully the weather cooperated and everything looked beautiful. We hope to see you here again very soon. Thanks for the great comments, Best wishes to you both.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

In June, 41 classmates gathered at Trillium for a 40 year reunion. it was a weekend of fun and laughter with reconnections and "new" friendships being forged. Robert and staff were very accommodating and the event was highly successful. The resort's many amenities (spa, pool, kayaks, beach) were well used by all. The lodge is a beautiful representation of Muskoka life and the accommodations were perfect (the towels being the softest and most absorbent that I have experienced!) Many thanks to Robert and staff for arranging meals, making a bonfire and "taking care" of us. By a unanimous vote, we will be returning to Trillium for our next reunion in 5 years!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear 52traveltheworld
When you approached me four years ago regarding your nurses reunion I thought it may be a little early. Well the time went by and it was great working with you to ensure everyone from all over was well looked after and enjoyed themselves. It was nice to see everyone reunite. The weekend had a great atmosphere and we are happy to be hosting your next reunion as well.
Thank You for your comments.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My boyfreind and I stayed for 2 nights at Trillium resort June 2014. We chose to upgrade to a lake view chalet. The chalets are beautiful, we were in #6 as it is pet freindly, very secluded with deck overlooking the lake through the trees, kitchenette with microwave and small bar fridge, one bedroom queen size bed off the living room, and one bedroom upstairs in the open loft with queen size bed. As this is advertised as an adults only resort I was disappointed not to find a king size bed in either bed room, but the chalet was clean with fresh linens and plently of towels. Bathroom was basic with shower/tub combo and while very clean it could use some cosmetic changes. The weather called for rain which is why we decided to upgrade to the chalet. As mentioned in previous reviews the chalets are located at the top of a very steep hill that isnt accessible by car. I took this with a grain of salt until I arrived and climed up the very steep slippery gravel hill pulling a wagon piled with all my belongings while being attacked by mosquitos....not the best start to our trip. Bring lots of bug spray, this is prime season for bugs in northern ontario (and I am familiar with this), but it seemed worse then normal this year. I would have liked to see the front desk provide small containers of bug spray, sunscreen, toothpast, conditioner ect as the resort only provides soap and shampoo. It would be great if samples of shampoo/conditioner/hand soap/body lotion used in the spa were available in the chalet. The mosquitos and biting flies explained the lack of people outside at the lake/pool/walking trails. The hill would prevent me from booking a chalet again, as it was steep and slippery. The chalet was lovely with leather furniture and all amenities needed for pets - bowls, a bed and clean up bags. This was appreciated by our two little dogs. The main lodge is huge, with a well appointed lounge area, bar and dining room overlooking the lake. The lake is a bit mucky on the bottom but clear water that is easy to get into from the small sandy beach area. I especially appreciated the beds on the beach as well as the expected sun loungers and chairs. I understand there is good fishing in the lake. If the mucky bottom turns you off there is also a huge pool and hot tub area that we enjoyed. Breakfast was included and was just ok, the waitress was nice but got my order wrong one morning, and I found a hair under my egg on the second go. She was obviously horrified and corrected the problem with fresh food. The eggs/toast/bacon/homefries were just ok, and the french toast was fine. Nothing spectacular that convinced us to try dinner at the main lodge. We did go to the spa which is a gorgeous facility with steam room downstairs and change rooms, super pedicure area and nicely decorated treatment rooms. The spa is beside the waterfall so my spa technician (who was a very kind, professional woman) opened the window to let the sound of the falling water in during my exfoliating treatment. It was very relaxing and left my skin soft and smooth. The only downfall seemed to be that the technician doing my boyfreinds pedicure was also the receptionist and kept interrupting his treatment to answer the door and make bookings.Although he had no complaints about the treatment, I did address this with the owner Robert. He was very receptive to my concerns and I feel confident the issue was dealt with apropriately. All staff seemed very freindly and professional...although when I finally reached the top of that damn gravel hill with the wagon while sweating and swatting mosquitos only to discover I wasnt given the chalet key....grrr! To be fair, of course I needed a key, and should have realized I wasnt given one. If we return to Trillium we would try to book a cottage with a king size bed at the bottom of the hill. I would also bring a cooler for drinks as we prefer to bring and prepare our own meals so require all the space in the bar fridge. It would be nice to have the use of a communal BBQ on the beach. The cottages are close together but the falling water cottage beside the spa would offer more privacy if wanted. This would be the perfect spot for a wedding, and we would consider returning for that purpose.

Room Tip: the hill to the chalets is difficult to navigate, but the chalets offer more privacy and space the falling water cottage seems to be the most private
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank noisygirl

Dear noisygirl
Thank You for taking the time to write a review of you stay here at Trillium and for your comments. To address some of your concerns. The # 6 Chalet that you stayed in is our only pet friendly Chalet, we do offer 2 pet friendly cottages , with parking right in front and no hill. Number 6 is one of the most requested as it has the most privacy. We do offer a stand-alone cottage with a king size bed with all other beds being queen size. We do often have some extra amenities at the desk in case guests have forgotten. We do not have BBQ's as we are a full service resort. I have spoken to all kitchen and service staff regarding the importance of having their hair appropriately tied and pulled back. We do hope you will return and experience a different perspective with nicer weather and less bugs.