“rude staff, poor wine and poor food”
Review of Popova Kula

Popova Kula
Ranked #1 of 1 Demir Kapija B&B and Inns
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
“rude staff, poor wine and poor food”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The receptionist was very rude when we booked in, we were told breakfast was at 7 and then when we asked what time it finished, she snapped 10. We asked about wine tasting and were told 'restaurant', my friend asked for the WiFi code and he was told he could get it in the restaurant. WiFi didn't work in our rooms.
The food was not great in the restaurant and as I'm vegetarian I asked what they could serve me. The waiter assured me he would bring several vegetarian dishes but when they arrived the rice had mince in it, the beans had salami and the vine leaves also had meat in them.
When we asked about wine tasting we were told we would have wine with the meal. In addition, the rose and white wines were not cooled to the correct temperature
We were really looking forward to our stay here and found the whole experience very dissapointing

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank ceri h
Popova K, Manager at Popova Kula, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear guest, thank you for choosing Popova Kula Winery for your visit and thank you for your review. We are very sorry that you didn't have a memorable stay in our winery.
I want to comment about vegetarian dishes. I assure you 100 % that the zucchini and the vine leafs are stuffed with rice and soy crumbles not minced meat, and tavce gravce how we called baked beans are 100 % vegetarian also, it is only beans, tomatoes on the top and herbs.
Popova Kula team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I can only recommend this place! Super friendly staff, great food, beautiful location and very nice rooms with character. Wine tasting is also available but i didn't have time for it this time. Great view from the top- make sure you take a few snaps. Loved it and will be back for sure!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sanja M
Lahti
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I'll share the rewievs to other writers as well because some waiters did not speake english and then they could not tell us anything of the wine when having tasting. As well lack of enthustiasm is something which was little bit irritating. hotel is nice but there is actually nothing else to done than having dinner and their wine. Promised visit to their winery took about 5 minutes including showing of barrells etc. I would have been more interested in winemaking. F.ex when visiting Freixet close to Barcelona our tour was excellent. Tv did not work, receptiongirl promised to come and check, nothing happened. Winery does not produce real dessertwines.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 12 June 2013

From the outside the place is promising: very beautiful view nice building..., but the biggest frustration comes from the restaurant: poor quality of the food, but above all poor wines! Served not at the right temperature and very bad knowledge of their offers from the staff. This is unacceptable since they are the producers of the wines!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Olmo75
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Do you love nature, do you love wine, do you want to rest overnight on the way south on Hwy 75 exit is a place region Demir Kapir drive until you reach the Hotel Popova Kula. I've been in Bordeau France also in the Chianti Italy and I can advise you to stop overnight. From time to time I do have a glass of wine but I love the vyniards, I also love the sun, the fresh air. I decided to stay overnight. I decided to buy the 5 course meal, each course was served with their famous local wines. The first glass of wine was amazing not only love the taste but the color never saw before (bronze color), menu starting with a local tomoatoes salad, following by a local fish, then pork with plumb sauce and end finaly their famour the Ravani cake topped with wild rasberry sauce. The time between the dishes were long enough I to enjoy the meals and their wines. Within three hours I was able to enjoy the food and their local wines, found out lately their wines received some awards on the European market. You can also buy their local wines pricess very affordable. I really recommend you to stop for overnight if not just stop to the restaurant and you will not forget their cusine and their wine.

Room Tip: A room with the view of the vyniards.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank yorku
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

If you are passing by in the region of Demir Kapija (most probably if you are on your way to Greece), Popova Kula is a must-visit. It's the most popular wine cellar of the area, encompassing a hotel and restaurant within it's premises. The rooms are very nice, thematically decorated in accordance with the grape varieties produced in the region, the restaurant serves delicious food (I recommend pork in plum sauce, or the lamb), and they make the wine tasting events with premium quality, with polite and knowledgeable hosts. During our stay at Popova Kula, we also did jeep safari that included bird watching in the nearby canyon, where we had rare opportunity to see few species of endangered griffons and vultures.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Montalto Ligure, Italy
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed at Popova Kula hotel for a night after a week of travel in western Macedonia. The setting, the spacious and tastefully designed rooms and superb service made the trip even more memorable.
It was great to enjoy the morning sun and the magnificent view to the vineyard while having breakfast. I wish we could stay longer! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to treat themselves with a bit of luxury and peace.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Kavadarci
Casino Motel Senator
Casino Motel Senator
#1 of 5 in Gevgelija

Been to Popova Kula? Share your experiences!