“Good food and reasonable prices”

The Wheelwright Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Colyford
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were staying in Colyton just up the road and we had passed the Wheelwright Inn twice during the day. The look of the place appealed immediately; an olde worlde country pub. We had arrived early in the evening and we offered a table either in the bar or in the restaurant; we chose the latter. We had in mind fish for at least one of the courses but were initially disappointed that some of the fish dishes where unavailable. However, was we were considering the other options the waitress and returned and told us that they had just received another delivery and most were back on again. We chose the sea bass fillet the whole mackerel as starters. My companion was a bit iffy about the mackerel having previously had a bad experience but decided to risk it. She said she it was delicious, as was my sea bass.

For mains, we had belly pork and and steak and ale pie. Again, both were well cooked and presented and tasted very good. I found the steak and ale pie dish to be very generous and only just managed to finish it. We were debating about a dessert but finding that we could share, we opted for a Devon Mess; excellent.

Although busy as the evening went on, the staff were very attentive and responsive.

Luckily, we had not read previous reviews before we went otherwise they may have put us off. Our experience was very positive and I would recommend that others try it for themselves.

There are newer reviews for The Wheelwright Inn

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The staff and locals were friendly and chatty. It is a nice pub atmosphere with a separate restaurant room although on the evening we ate, the restaurant was full and we ate in the pub side. We were told there would be a wait and a couple of things were so popular they had run out of what we wanted. We chose again and what we had was very nice and large portions.
We were in the area for 3 nights and visited every night which we would not have done had we believed some of the surprising negative comments from others. Please give it a go and make your own mind up

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Staying in the village of Colyford, this pub was literally just across the road from our B&B. It was a wet night when we visited, so we were happy not to travel or walk any great distance, and this venue suited our requirements just fine. We had been told locally that there had been mixed reviews for the food served there, but we were happy to give it a try,
The staff, on arrival were extremely friendly, and showed us to a table in a very peasant eating area, where we were not at all cramped in. The menu proved to be quite varied, and there was a good range of dishes to select from. Service was efficient, and although busy the wait for food was by no means excessive. I chose a butterfly chicken dish, home prepared, and served with mushrooms and fried potatoes. There was plenty of chicken, and the fried potatoes were excellent. I wished the mushroom sauce had been more moist or creamy, as it left the vegetable rather plain and lacking any supporting flavour to assist their eating. The three other members of our small gathering all chose the home made steak and ale pie, and I have to say I was envious when I saw it. It looked, and apparently tasted delicious. For my own part, the meal was a little lacking in flavour, but I think I made a less good choice, so overall, and particularly in light of the excellent service, I feel that a 4 is a deserved rating for this pleasant venue.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

What a great little pub right on the A3052 in Colyton just outside of Seaton. We stopped here for sunday lunch and we were not disapointed. The roast on a sunday is great value with no less than 6 veg to accompany your choice of meat. The staff were very welcoming and efficient as we did not have to wait very long for the Roast to arrive. so to sum it up we will return.....great job to all at the Wheelwright Inn.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and i had a meal on the 1st July we always went there when staying in Colyford
I have to say it has changed hands and the food we were served was awful when i complained the waitress did and said nothing
The Manager would not even come out and speak to us
We are not ones to complain but just feel other people should know

2  Thank 901pat