“Is it me?”
Review of Wheelwright Inn

Wheelwright Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colyford
Wheelwright Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Colyford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Before I write a review I always have a look at what others have said and in this and other establishments I ask myself the above question because I cannot agree.
I noticed the sign in the car park adjacent to the disabled parking area which invited users to ring a bell if assistance is needed - nice touch.
I confess we only had a sandwich and a drink but I found the bar staff attentive and helpful; the seating comfortable, the stock of real ales plentiful and well presented and the sandwiches of door step proportions on a choice of white and brown bread.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We were staying in a hotel up the road overnight and called in to the Wheelwright for dinner. It had only opened under new management two days before, so we really weren't sure what to expect. We sat in the dining room, which was lovely and cosy on a cold night. The service was great, but the food was nothing short of superb and excellent value for the high quality. I had the veggie lasagne, which was delicious. My husband chose the homemade steak and ale pie. He has eaten a lot of pies over the years, and kept saying this was the best pie he had ever eaten. We then had delicious homemade desserts followed by a glass of wine in the cosy bar.
They should give the food a much higher profile on the blackboard outside; it's almost mentioned as an afterthought when it definitely deserves to be their main selling point. We visit the area frequently and will definitely eat there again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 19 November 2013

we have visited this pub many times but on the last 3 times been very disappointed it was quiet but the staff could not be bothered to serve us take orders just stood around chatting and drinking when we did finally order and were seated near the kitchen and the chefs were in the kitchen playing football and using terrible language we did complain to our waitress but did not get any where we will not be returning this pub is over charging for very poor quality it used to be very good but no more very sad

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tabor F
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Like the previous entry, we arrived when it was not so busy. No local ales to start with but sat at a table.
Waitress delivered a well used and stained paper menu. No real big deal but when the food arrived after a wait, the burger was over cooked, the bun burnt as where the fries and no dressing and salad as advertised.
The poor waitress was on her own and clearly overwhelmed with running around between the bar, kitchen and tables.
I cannot ever remember a worse presented plate of food, so I did the right thing and paid for the drinks and left.
I would seriously swerve around this place at all costs.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank unforgettable_one
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Only 2 Waitresses working bar and restaurant on a Friday Bank Holiday we should have known we may be in for a wait - but 2 HOURS for our main meal to arrive.
Having been seated at our table we waited 20 mins before the menus were brought to the table. We ordered a bottle of wine and a Guiness. The Guiness was sour and the waitress told us that the barrels obviously needed changing but it takes too long - something to do with the pipes!!!
Two of the starters chosen were now 'no longer on the menu'.
Our starters arrived so late that we had finished our bottle of wine.......I, having not ordered a starter waited 2 HOURS before the mains came out. We were so fed up with the whole evening we didn't wish to order dessert.The whole evening was painful......and there was only 1 other table filled when we arrived - so no excuses that it was too busy when we first arrived.
We did not complain at the time as we were entertaining friends who had travelled from London that day.
I rang the next day to speak to the manager, Gary and in 3 days I haven't had any response.
Very disappointed.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank juanita D
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We had been wanting to visit the wheelwright for sometime after reading some of the reviews... We arrived and were very briskly taken to our table it's a shame we were not able to have a drink at the bar before hand .. But service was good. Very polite and helpful.. After being seated we were reading through the menu and noticed a few very familiar dishes from our local in honiton ( the railway inn ) I was hoping to try something different as we had ventured out, food was good. ( but not as good :) ) deserts were poor which was a Shame ( I did notice this was pointed out in some other reviews but I wanted to sample for myself ) all in all a nice place but will be sticking to our usual eatery in future . Oh and the antiques are a nice touch! Very interesting

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank finlag
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We ate here with friends one night. Service was good, although they were very keen to show us straight to our table the minute we walked through the door. We asked for a drink at the bar first which we really enjoyed before selecting from the menu and being shown to our table when the food was ready.
Food was Ok and reasonable value. The desserts really let it down. I had a"Chocolate Fudge Sundae ". This was served in a glass and was very poor. One small scoop of ice cream, too much spray cream and dry chocolate sponge. My friend had a "Lemon Tiramisu" dry sponge, too much spray cream and lemon curd, again served in a glass - not good. One of our party ordered the cheese - a couple of slices of cheddar, Stilton and under ripe soft cheese, probably bought in the local supermarket. We were not impressed.
The starters and main courses were very good and we will be returning but next time we will not order desserts or cheese..

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends