“not so much Italian as Swedish hot house”
Review of Marcello

Marcello
Ranked #8 of 20 Restaurants in Topsham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2014

went here last night small place with space upstairs for diners decor is a touch grubby and styling ok just . staff are very attentive and friendly but were stretched when covering upstairs also .
the wine list is limited and the better wines with that are only available by the bottle likewise sparkling wines ! The food is just about passable the squid starter was ok but not good , and as with the main we both had the linguine polpette which is where it fell down badly pasta overcooked and the meatballs are not homemade more swedish meatball NO JOKE ! which if i'm not mistaken is nowhere near italy if i wanted this i would go to Ikea and pay dramatically less and done better .
the side salad was fine but takes the edge off your meal when the only chef in the kitchen pops out and up the road to get a couple bags of salad leaves as they had run out at 7.30 at night !
the main problem was the temperature and ventilation the over powering smell of well used fat and cooking smells coming out into the dining area were too much as was the temperature it is no exaggeration to say it was in excess of 80 degrees and stifling so we ate what we could and paid and departed . this place has too many faults in too many areas , dont do it !

1  Thank Angie H

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Since I have moved to Topsham, I have been to Marcello several times. Each time I have ordered the same dish, the penne de la casa, purely because it is so delicious, but all the other dishes look just as wonderful. Each time I have had to book because it has been so busy, which goes to show I am not the only one who thinks this restaurant is great! The waitresses are pleasant, helpful and efficient, which contributes to an lovely evening.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

very little but friendly place. great food worth the wait. could do with more of a selection of drinks.

1  Thank bull800
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We came here on a week night and were surprised how busy it was ! The waitress was very attentive and explained about the specials and when we asked if we could have pasta with out some things she said that was fine ( sign of how fresh the food is, and cooked to order ) the calamari starter was amazing my cheesy pasta was the best I've tasted and my boyfriends pizza was so good. We shared a tiramisu which was again amazing we are planning to go back with friends this is defiantly my favourite Italian restaurant I've ever been too !!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Lovely, freshly cooked good food, good size portions. Can't really fault it except that we got sat up stairs on our own where we didnt see anyone else the whole time there which took away from the atmosphere as there was no music or anyhting.