“A Good Place to Stay.”
Review of The Globe

The Globe
Ranked #1 of 6 Topsham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have just returned from the Globe after a delightful couple of days visiting our son and partner who has moved to live in Exeter.
The staff are all very efficient, helpful and could not do enough to make our stay pleasurable.
We had excellent breakfast and dinners in the evenings that had plenty of choice, cooked and presented well.
Could not fault the Hotel on our stay and would be using it again on our next visit to see our family members.
Like the last review trying to pay by card it was difficult to process it, but solved it with my wife's card. The Globe needs to check this out as my card worked perfectly well 10 minutes later getting petrol on the way home. A minor irritation!
By the way Topsham is a nice place to stay as well!

Room Tip: Room 7 is large and spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 October 2013

When presented with our Globe hotel bill at checkout on 20th August my wife noticed a charge for a breakfast had been omitted from the bill total.She then tried to settle the 317 pounds bill with an American Bankamerica Visa card but the desk staff were unable to process her card for an unexplained reason. I also offered my own Bankamerica Visa card and also a Citibank Mastercard. Neither could be processed. The only suggestion the desk clerk offered was advice to my wife to go and find local ATM's and draw out cash (at her expense and inconvenience) to settle the bill which she then went off to do.
While she was finding an ATM I offered my American Express card as another alternative and this card was processed and the bill settled. While this was happening the bar manager behind the front desk was more interested in sorting out a printer problem than helping his colleague help us visitors to settle our bill using our credit cards. This problem was especially annoying given that (a) the staff seemed completely unable (and unwilling) to find a way to investigate and solve the problem and (b) the omitted breakfast charge remained on our bill through all this nonsense and(c) after that day my wife and I used the same cards hundreds of times in other British, Greek and French establishments of various sizes over a four week period without one hitch

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wherethefugawi
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Globe, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

I was very sorry to hear that we were unable to process your cards on the morning of your check out. I appreciate that this would have been very inconvenient for yourself and your wife. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I will investigate the possible causes with our machine provider. Your comments have already been passed to the relevant team members and further training will be arranged should this situation ever arise again. Thank you for your feedback regarding this issue which will help us to improve our standards in the future.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Just got back from short break with 2 friends. Very friendly hotel, helpful staff who immediately offered to help carry bags. Very clean, room slightly small but everything we needed. Lots of Character. I suppose a little expensive as breakfast not included. Parking a problem, we had to trundle case and bags some distance. Bed very comfortable, fantastic shower, stylish toiletries and plenty of tea and coffee etc. Had one evening meal. Excellent though we had to wait some time, but friendly staff cancelled that out. Slight niggles are sink plug had to be removed for water to drain away and window would not stay open without wedging something in. Generally a great stay and would go again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JaneofReading
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is a nice hotel in the centre of topsham near Exeter. The rooms are nice with comfortable beds. They are a little crampt and I am not sure it would be feel big enough if I had come with my wife. Two notes of caution - there is limited parking here although a public car park is 5 mins walk away with free parking between 6pm and 9am. My room also didn't get wifi. Small quibbles because this is a nice pace with friendly staff and a great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Guy M
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I did not think The Globe lived up to its promise. I had a room that was not in the main hotel (room 17) but off an outside galleried area overlooking the car park. To be fair the room was comfortable with a very pleasant bathroom. What was lacking was attention to detail: the clothes hanger of a previous guest hanging on the light fitting, the rubbish of an earlier guest in a drawer and cupboard and taps in the bathroom that were hanging loose. The latter was particularly unnerving since it was clear that a pipe joint might fail in normal use thereby flooding the room.

The room was isolated from the main hotel building and so there was no inclination to use the hotel facilities. I did attempt to take dinner, but the dining room was deserted at 8pm with no staff present. A Monday problem perhaps. Fortunately there is a very acceptable Italian restaurant very nearly next door,

The parking at the hotel is extremely limited and I had to park in a public car park 3-400 m away. Guest should be warned of this difficulty when they book. It would avoid going into the car park through an extremely narrow entrance, finding there was no room and having to leave by a similarly narrow exit because there was no room to turn.

One positive point: the receptionist (Kate?) was very welcoming and friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building. Check parking especially if you are disabled.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SebastianWestCountry
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We spent a night here on our way from Penzance to Portsmouth. In Australia we would describe this as a motel. Our room was very spacious with a double bathroom. We found the lady on reception very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was not included and we did not eat in the hotel. Parking is tight in the quadrangle between the hotel and the rooms but it is free! We needed to leave early the next day so made sure we were parked at the front of the car park. Right on the main street. Topsham is a lovely old town and we enjoyed our walk around!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joy P
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Just had a night in The Globe and found it very comfortable with a good bar (St Austell's Brewery owned). Didn't eat there as we went to a wedding, but the menu looked excellent and not too expensive.
All the staff were great - very cheerful and helpful.
Limited car parking space so book in early!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Topsham
The City Gate Hotel
#8 of 31 in Exeter
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#9 of 31 in Exeter

Been to The Globe? Share your experiences!