“Excellent food and excellent service!”

The Galley Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Topsham
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Here at The Galley Topsham we want to impress you with 'the best of Devon on a plate'. We are passionate about serving you the freshest fish and seafood, simply and stylishly presented, together with exciting meat and vegetarian options sourced from local farms so we think we have something for everybody. We have a daily changing menu which means we only serve what is in season and locally available, so you can be sure that what you are eating is of the best quality. Our a la carte menu is available at lunch and dinner. At lunch we offer a special menu of two courses for £16. So whether it's a long lingering dinner, a light lunch or a business engagement we have something to suit you. We love wine and have worked hard to create a balanced wine list that includes top favourites along with some interesting options you may not be so familiar with. We are very happy to recommend a wine to go with any of our dishes so please do ask. The atmosphere in the restaurant is relaxed and friendly. We have no dress code and we warmly welcome families with children. Great food is nothing without great service however and we put a huge emphasis on matching the service to your needs. Nigel is on hand front of house to greet you with a friendly smile and make sure you relax and enjoy your meal. With our unique location on Topsham Quay and fabulous views over the River Exe you can soak up the atmosphere of this ancient sea port from the comfort of our two dining rooms.
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were actually recommend The Galley by another restaurant as we were looking for some where with excellent seafood. The recommendation was perfect. The service and the food were fantastic. We arrived for lunch on a rainy day and received a cosy and warm welcoming. The small restaurant was busy but not overcrowded and had a nice atmosphere. I had the Pipers Farm Steak and it was beautiful, I would describe the steak as 'Best of British' it was wholesome yet delicate and perfectly suited the rainy weather we had escaped from outside! My girlfriend had the Brill and it was her birthday and she was looking something special and she was not disappointed. We had to have a dessert after seeing them come out, I had the Dark chocolate tort which was lovely, strong and sweet. My girlfriend had a creme brûlée which she said was the best she had ever had! The lovely food and the excellent service made this a really nice experience that I would highly recommend,and we will definitely go again. Thanks!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just got back from having another great meal. Service was attentive but not intrusive. We had a bottle of Fleurie, good choice as it was easy drinking. I had the chowder to start, subtle flavours, delicate and delicious. My friend had the Thai fishcakes, cooked authentically, which is slightly rubbery ( review below complained of this!!!) she said they were amazing. I had the Duo of fish with a prawn ragu, it was outstanding. Another of our party had the Brill with scallops which he said were cooked to perfection. All our desserts were scrummy, and they use Miles coffee which we love....all in all a perfect meal.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wifie and I spent a lovely evening at the galley. My wife has quite specific dietary requirements but the staff could not have been more accommodating and the food was fantastic. Time flew by and we had a very relaxed enjoyable evening and we will return very soon

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Outstanding food beautifully served and presented. Attentive staff not at all phased by my 3 weeks old grandson!. Charming interior and atmosphere. My scallops were perfection as were my wife's Thai fish cakes who said that her fish and chips were the best she had ever eaten. My mussels were outstanding. The crab and the bream were also voted total winners. We all agreed that it would have been impossible to find any fault. The wine list was excellent - we had a perfect Sancerre.
The Galley is a "must visit" if you are anywhere in the Exeter/Sidmouth area but you need to book.
Very good value. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Today I married the most beautiful woman in my life. We decided to find somewhere nice and intimate for us to have a meal with our family and friends. We actually looked on Trip Advisor and "The Galley" popped up. I had thought about going to The Royal Clarence but wanted to try something different, and I am soooo glad that we did.

From start to finish we had such an amasing time. We were really looked after and nothing was too much trouble; I failed to mention my new wife's dietary requirements but this wasn't an issue and they worked out what she could have with the chef. I can honestly say the food is the best I have had in Exeter and we've eaten at a few different places now, you will not be disappointed. I couldn't fault anything. If they don't have a Michelin star they should.

Thank you "The Galley" for the perfect ending to a perfect day.