“Fantastic refurbishment and great relaxed pub atmosphere!”
Review of The Lighter Inn

The Lighter Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lighter Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 19 Restaurants in Topsham
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: British, Bar, Brew Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
“Fantastic refurbishment and great relaxed pub atmosphere!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I have been to this pub dozens of times but not since its refurb. What a difference! Well thought out and tastefully done. Good wine, service punctual even though it was packed and super food. I wish more pubs were like this. Well done!!

• Visited May 2014

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Vans in view”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Sat outside in the sun really nice
Shame about the collection of cars and vans parked within the pedestrian part of the old quay spoiling the views from the seating area

• Visited May 2014
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch, delightful view...”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Popped in for an impromptu lunch on the way back from Exeter and was extremely happy with our choice of pub. We were lucky enough to be able to sit outside and enjoy the views and the warmth of the sun. The staff were wonderful, friendly and happy to help out with whatever we needed.

To top it all off, the food and drinks matched up to the views and the service. I chose the falafel burger from the specials board and was extremely happy, my partner had the mezze board, which she also enjoyed thoroughly - as did I, luckily enough getting to enjoy the leftovers! £38 for 2 main meals, 2 desserts (1 of the mini desserts), 3 beers and a cider is entirely reasonable and was a nice bonus.

Would definitely return and fight for a table outside if the summer sun shows its face. No doubts about recommending this pub to anyone in the area.

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Easter Monday”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I go to the Lighter Inn from time to time and on this occasion the food was terrible and the service was poor. I ordered Parmesan Chicken, it's was awful, the chicken was really dried out and over cooked. My husband ordered Fish and Chips, it came without the bread and butter, we were aware other people complaining about various issues. The food was very poor. BUT I was more annoyed that they let a couple in with a dog into the restaurant area whilst people were eating and the dog was scratching a lot of the time and sitting in the walkway (it was not a dog for the blind) not a happy experience, I don't think the the young staff could handle the volume of customers either

Aberystwyth
“Slightly disappointing - beware of cigarette smokers”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Turned up on a busy Friday evening for a meal and managed to find a table for four after a few minutes.Having never visited before I was unsure what to expect , so i played safe and ordered medium steak with peppercorn sauce. My Partner ordered a small lasagna, and friends order cod and chips and a chicken salad.
I was happy with the steak , cooked to my liking but the sauce covered the chips making them very soggy, my partner's lasagna was smaller than even she expected and almost burnt to a crisp( so no complaints about it not being cooked!). The other meals were fine and no complaints.
The staff were friendly and the service decent considering our waitress was new to the job that night.
Unfortunately we had to run the gauntlet of the "smokers who on a dry evening, were gathered around the door on our way out. Surely if this pub needs to attract good custom it would be better if the provided a space away from the door to the non smoking community can leave the restaurant without contaminating their lungs