“Great tea and cakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 'The Cafe'

'The Cafe'
Ranked #13 of 18 Restaurants in Topsham
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great tea and cakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

Having driven all day down to Topsham we needed a good cup of tea and a slice of cake to revive us. Walked from our hotel to The Cafe and were not disappointed. The cafe is informal in a barn of a building that gives it additional atmosphere. Really different and well worth a visit.

• Visited August 2014

“I really like it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

I've never been disappointed after having lunch at this lovely cafe. There's a variety of options for lunch and it's very homey.

Visited July 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Laptops not welcome here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have visited The Cafe on several previous occasions and have always been impressed by the lovely coffee, beautiful cakes and huge tables where you can spread your stuff out. In view of that, I'm particularly offended by the service I received today. I am currently writing a long and difficult document, and thought it would be really nice to spend a few hours drinking coffee and finishing my work. So I went to The Cafe, found a lovely table and was overjoyed to find there was a plug socket next to it. It had one of those socket protectors over it, but in experience that's very normal as it stops children being able to put their fingers in it. There was absolutely no sign that customers were not allowed to use it. I've been plugging my laptop in in cafes for years unless asked not to specifically and it's never been a problem. Where it's not allowed, it is usually obvious.

I had had my laptop plugged in about 5 minutes when a young man serving came over and took the order. It was only after that that he told me that the manager was not going to allow me to plug my laptop in. Clearly the manager hadn't told him why, and was also willing to let this poor young man do the dirty work for her, as he told me rather apologetically that it wasn't his fault but had just been asked to pass on a message. Apparently "this is not an internet cafe". I am absolutely sure those words came from the manager and not from him.

I wonder slightly just how many internet cafes the manageress has been to, given all I wanted was to plug in my own computer, drink their coffee (probably several cups of it) and do my work. But clearly that isn't welcome. If she doesn't want to encourage an internet cafe, then I've no idea if that extends to laptops on batteries but get the general impression that's not welcome either.

What is particularly irritating is that there was nothing on the socket to say I couldn't use it, and no reason was given. If I'd been told before ordering that it wasn't ok because of XYZ then that's fair enough, but to send out a young lad to tell me something that had been decided by the management, without a reason and just to declare "this isn't an internet cafe", well that's not good customer service. I felt offended and unwelcome. Having read the other reviews of poor customer service I am not surprised.

This has never happened to me before and won't happen there again either because after that experience, I will not be going back

Visited August 2014
2 Thank BrownLongEaredOwl
Chagford
“Day off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Went to topsham to do some shopping and thought we would have a light lunch, I was told it was waitress service, we sat down. 10 mins later we had not been approached or any order taken, I had the luxury of setting and seeing all the staff chat, just as I thought our wait was over she walked towards our table then right past us and cleared another table..... 5 mins later after still not being served we left.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Alastair P
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good coffee but indifferent staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I tend to visit 'The Cafe' on Mondays when the excellent Georgian Tea Room is closed. The coffee is good with a free top-up and the cheese scones very tasty but the staff are morose and look thoroughly bored. I sat for 12 minutes before anyone even acknowledged me (I timed this because of previous experiences) and it was 20 minutes from the point of sitting down to receiving my scone. The three ladies serving passed by my table on a number of occasions, ignoring me entirely - how difficult is it to say "good morning, I will be with you in a moment"? How different from the polite and quick service at the Georgian Tea Rooms.

• Visited August 2014