“Following a family wedding”
Review of The Globe

The Globe
Ranked #6 of 19 Restaurants in Topsham
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Globe has an extensive menu accompanied by daily changing specials. Where possible all ingredients are grown, reared or caught locally. All dishes are carefully prepared by our team of accomplished chefs led by our Head Chef, Richard Jenkins. The food successfully combines the classic with the modern and will not disappoint. The cooking is classy yet simple, perfect for a special meal or relaxing lunch. The Elizabethan Restaurant provides the perfect place for dining throughout the day from hearty breakfasts to elegant candle-lit dinners. The Bar area is traditionally decorated with rich textures and colours, you can sit back, relax and enjoy freshly prepared dishes, speciality coffees, fine wine and award winning St Austell Brewery Ales. We serve food throughout the day until 10pm, but please book in advance to avoid disappointment.
Penzance, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Following a family wedding”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Had a post wedding lunch with the bride and groom, and both sets of parents. Having previously used the Globe for some of the wedding guests accommodation prior to the wedding in Topsham Church. Lovely atmosphere.....and good food.....excellent service

• Visited August 2013

London, United Kingdom
“A Miserable Dinner”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I'm not a regular contributor to Tripadviser but having just paid The Globe Restaurant to give us a miserable evening - I'm inspired!

When we arrived the restaurant was full - usually a good sign - nice atmosphere - beautiful panelled old dining room. It was as we waited to order that we realised things were a bit unusual - very few people were eating food - the gent on the next table was eating his main course while his wife watched him - her food arrived 10 mins later - having been sent back.

We ordered and after waiting 40 mins, I enquired if we were going to get our starters some time soon. I was told they had a big party in the back dining room and things were a bit slow as a result. Not the young waitress's fault so I didn't make the obvious point.

Our starters arrived - my wife had ordered mussels which arrived with fresh bread to dip - unfortunately there was no liquid to dip into - we complained and a jug of white wine liquor
was brought. I'd ordered the scallops from the Specials menu - they were special all right - they were the 3 smallest scallops in the world. The black pudding was just a slice of black pudding under a bit of salad. I complained that they were few and tiny - the waitress said she'd let chef know - we heard nothing more.

After another 45 mins our main courses arrived - they were OK - I would neither complain about them or order them again. We didn't order sweets or coffee - we just wanted to get out after 2 hours of frustration which we had to pay for.

The restaurant could simply not cope with a full house - the dishes ranged from mean to incomplete - such a marvellous setting for such a miserable experience.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank 186338John
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“A quick pint”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

After visiting the museum we walked back through the town and called in to the Globe en-route to the station. Friendly service from the barmaid. We chose to sit in the comfy bar, though there were tables outside that we could have used.

Visited August 2013
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
“Nice but expensive”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

A nice pub; recently done up, but very expensive the food was good but not the best value. Parking is difficult; but there is some at the rear. Would love to see the beer a little bit cheaper please; but love the new look.

• Visited August 2013
“Excellent service and food”
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

I normally walk past The Globe when I am in Topsham as the outside doesn't look very inviting to me, a group of us were in Topsham and fancied lunch Sunday and tried out usual pub but it was full so we popped in here. It was really nice and the inside is very welcoming and comfortable. The food was good and the staff really pleasant. We had my nephew and niece with us and they were good with he children and very relaxed. I would come here again now and it was quite empty and there were lots of tables which is shame as I really liked it. Maybe other people don't notice it and walk past but I would say don't, give it a go

Visited August 2013