“Friendly, fun and knowledgable!!!”

Walking On Waves Surf School
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Saunton
More attraction details
Owner description: Sarah Whiteley's surf school is based on Saunton Beach in North Devon right in between Croyde and Braunton. After years at the top of the competitive surfing game (British and European Champion), Sarah decided to return to her roots and give something back to the sport. Chances are you could get lessons from one of Britain's most successful female surfers.See you at SauntonSarah x
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Friendly, fun and knowledgable!!!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We went down to Devon last week and decided we wanted to surf. I found this surf school in the "surf map" so booked in for a lesson.
It was awesome, sarah and her 2 other instructors were fantastic, there was 14 of us and all of us got all the time that we needed from each instructor. Sarah was fantastic and really knew her stuff.
It was crowded in the sea but at all times they knew where we all were and i felt very very safe.
Thank you so much for a fantastic day, and we will be back down to surf with you in July!!!!

2 Thank Gemma S
Sarah W, Owner at Walking On Waves Surf School, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review.
Really glad you enjoyed your time with us.

See you again soon I hope

King regards

Sarah

UK
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Last Minute Booking - good experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We booked our 4 children into surfing the night before we wanted to surf. the website was very easy to follow and very efficient - with text and email follow up. For an additional charge (£15) the children were able to keep the surf boards all day after the lesson which was great as we then had the chance to carry on surfing and let the children show their parents how it was done.

Like other reviewers the feedback from the children was that the tuition wasnt overly technical - however this suited them (ages 13, 13, 11, 10) who were all able to stand up on the boards ont he waves by the end of our day on the beach.

The session was taken by 2 young guys but when we returned the boards we met Sarah who was very friendly and chatted with us about the day.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Akhkam
Great! So glad you enjoyed the surf, thanks for the review .

King regards

Sarah
London
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Lack of technical guidance”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

As a first timer I booked this surfing lesson to get tips and techniques on how best to surf the waves. As detailed on the website I was hoping to receive guidance on the sand before entering the water on how best to stand on your board etc. However I was disappointed when the lesson, given by one out of the three instructors, on the sand lasted less than 5 minutes with unclear instructions. For example no guidance was given as to how to hold the board whilst trying to get through the waves so for the first couple of attempts I lost the board and kept getting consistently smashed by the waves. It wasn't until I was spotted by another instructor that I was advised on how best to approach the waves with the surfboard.
Throughout the lesson however I did get assistance from two out of the three instructors who helped you catch waves on your surfboard and provided useful advice. Essentially I think the issue was with one particular instructor who in my opinion was not providing the service I expected. This also meant that affectively the group ended up being taught by only two instructors over 15 or so pupils as opposed to three.

Visited July 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“great surf school cant recommend it enough”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Sarah and the team are excellent. We have now used Walking on waves on and off for 4 years. Our children first attended in a cold March/April when they were 8 and 10 and had great time. we then went back when they were 10 and 12 as a family and the four of us had an excellent week. This year we went back and the children were 12 and 14 and had a week of lessons as a family with Max and Sarah they were attentive while allowing us the freedom to learn in our own environment.
the equipment is of a high standard, the instructors are attentive and are always aware of what is going on around them and all of this is helped by the amazing Saunton beach. if you want to learn in a wonderful location with the best instructors book with Sarah.

Visited July 2013
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“great time surfing yet again”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I love my surf lessons at walking on waves. I have been a couple of times now and each time it has got better somehow. I am not the best surfer but with the instructors help i know i have defiantly improved. The first time was fantastic i was only young yet with the help of sarah and her team i managed to get up it was a great sensation. I had a great time and we hope to come back soon.

Visited June 2013

Been to Walking On Waves Surf School? Share your experiences!