“The best fun you can have in a wetsuit...”

Walking On Waves Surf School
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Saunton
More attraction details
Owner description: Sarah Whiteley's surf school is based on Saunton Beach in North Devon right in between Croyde and Braunton. After years at the top of the competitive surfing game (British and European Champion), Sarah decided to return to her roots and give something back to the sport. Chances are you could get lessons from one of Britain's most successful female surfers.See you at SauntonSarah x
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our Walking on Waves experience was 5 star from start to finish – phone calls answered and return calls when promised, a smooth booking & payment system, fears allayed and advice given 2 days in advance.
Great location, huge, safe beach. Good facilities, the wetsuits provided were fine and kept us warm in the water.

Our instructor Max was brilliant. Right from our first meeting he was relaxed, helpful and great with kids. The weather was glorious but Max made the whole experience. He was patient, informative, excellent at explaining things, not in the least bit patronising and a total credit to Walking On Waves. He clearly loves sharing his knowledge and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to anyone, but especially if you have children who want to try surfing. He spent loads of time with my son, making sure he was safe and having fun, whilst also helping me try and master the sport!

We shall book in again when we are next in this part of the world. The two hours flew by and this was the most fun you could have in a wetsuit !

Sarah W, Owner at Walking On Waves Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thanks so much for your review, Max is made up with your kind words.

He is a credit to Walking on Waves

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We went down to Devon last week and decided we wanted to surf. I found this surf school in the "surf map" so booked in for a lesson.
It was awesome, sarah and her 2 other instructors were fantastic, there was 14 of us and all of us got all the time that we needed from each instructor. Sarah was fantastic and really knew her stuff.
It was crowded in the sea but at all times they knew where we all were and i felt very very safe.
Thank you so much for a fantastic day, and we will be back down to surf with you in July!!!!

2  Thank Gemma S

Thank you so much for your review.
Really glad you enjoyed your time with us.

See you again soon I hope

King regards

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We booked our 4 children into surfing the night before we wanted to surf. the website was very easy to follow and very efficient - with text and email follow up. For an additional charge (£15) the children were able to keep the surf boards all day after the lesson which was great as we then had the chance to carry on surfing and let the children show their parents how it was done.

Like other reviewers the feedback from the children was that the tuition wasnt overly technical - however this suited them (ages 13, 13, 11, 10) who were all able to stand up on the boards ont he waves by the end of our day on the beach.

The session was taken by 2 young guys but when we returned the boards we met Sarah who was very friendly and chatted with us about the day.

1  Thank Akhkam

Great! So glad you enjoyed the surf, thanks for the review .

King regards

Reviewed 3 August 2013

As a first timer I booked this surfing lesson to get tips and techniques on how best to surf the waves. As detailed on the website I was hoping to receive guidance on the sand before entering the water on how best to stand on your board etc. However I was disappointed when the lesson, given by one out of the three instructors, on the sand lasted less than 5 minutes with unclear instructions. For example no guidance was given as to how to hold the board whilst trying to get through the waves so for the first couple of attempts I lost the board and kept getting consistently smashed by the waves. It wasn't until I was spotted by another instructor that I was advised on how best to approach the waves with the surfboard.
Throughout the lesson however I did get assistance from two out of the three instructors who helped you catch waves on your surfboard and provided useful advice. Essentially I think the issue was with one particular instructor who in my opinion was not providing the service I expected. This also meant that affectively the group ended up being taught by only two instructors over 15 or so pupils as opposed to three.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Sarah and the team are excellent. We have now used Walking on waves on and off for 4 years. Our children first attended in a cold March/April when they were 8 and 10 and had great time. we then went back when they were 10 and 12 as a family and the four of us had an excellent week. This year we went back and the children were 12 and 14 and had a week of lessons as a family with Max and Sarah they were attentive while allowing us the freedom to learn in our own environment.
the equipment is of a high standard, the instructors are attentive and are always aware of what is going on around them and all of this is helped by the amazing Saunton beach. if you want to learn in a wonderful location with the best instructors book with Sarah.

Been to Walking On Waves Surf School? Share your experiences!