“Fantastic”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Coach house

Ample parking
Front of the apartment The bedroom which fits a king size bed
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Front of the apartment
The bedroom which fits a king size bed
Bathroom
The kitchen with an electric hob, microwave, cutlery and all the essentials
View of Bodmin moors from the back of the house
lots of parking
large living area with a telly with over 30 channels, books, dvds and dinning table.
stairs leading down to hallway and private patio
Private patio
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Any
SunWinean...
Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
“Fell a long way short of expectations!”
Reviewed 14 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

Property is at the rear of the church in a lovely Devon village. We pulled up at the Coach House that was next to a beautiful stone rectory. Stunning location and we couldn't believe our luck.

We were met by the owner who showed us in and how to work the heating. Had a quick look round and noticed that there wasn't any milk. Owner did offer to bring some from house but we declined as we were going to shops anyway.

Location is lovely and when heating comes on, it is warm. They are the positives.

I don't know where to begin. Undoubtedly I will get a response from the owner re: should have bought the issues up at the time but I will leave the reader to judge if they could have been fixed quickly.

This place should be lovely but it was dated; peeling and cracked paint; old, well worn, uncomfortable furniture; little regard to comfort of the guests. Main problems are:
No handwash / soap in bathroom - nearest supermarket is 20 minutes away.
No welcome tray / milk provided - see above comment about time to shop.
Mattress is cheap and very hard.
Pillows are old and very thin. There were 2 each but felt like less than 1.
Bedding was old and of poor quality.
There was no wardrobe - some broken hangers on back of door.
Apart from 1 small side table at side of bed, there was no other furniture in the bedroom - see photos.
Bathroom shower attachment came on when it shouldn't.
Bathroom needed a good clean.
Kitchen worksurface is wood. Lots of marks and sticky. Needs rubbing down and reoiling to keep It hygienic.
No real oven - just a plug in electric thing.
From the location, a welcome tray / early warning to call at shop on the way would be welcome.
Very low, uncomfortable sofas. They have no legs.
TV sound keeps coming and going.
2 windows in lounge with no curtains.
Lots of peeling paint, cracks in paint and dirt in the corners.
Sorry owners that I have not complied with your request to leave a positive review. I don't normally leave poor reviews but it was so disappointing. We a good clean, redecoration, new bedding and towels, better furniture and nicer fixtures this place could be fantastic. There are enough holiday accommodation TV programmes on that should give owners ideas.
Such a shame. We feel like we have been robbed!

lornabuck...
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 23 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

What a beautiful place this is great for walks no shops but has a lovely pub . We had a very relaxing stay.The bed well we wanted to take it home with us best couple of nights sleeps we have had in a long time its a fantastic place to stay it's like a home from home. Its great that they are dog friendly as well. It's very clean and very quiet . Can't wait to stay there again. Thank you

LoveCornw...
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Spacious Apartment”
Reviewed 19 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Very clean and comfortable apartment in a lovely quiet setting. Well equipped but could do with a bit of updating in places as a bit worn. Only complaint, had to wash hair with a plastic jug!!!

ZSargent
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Lovely apartment- great location”
Reviewed 1 December 2016 for a stay in November 2016

We booked a few nights away and this was a wonderful find. A cosy apartment, photos do not do it justice as the kitchen is so sweet- has everything you need a make supper or breakfast. Excellent wifi connection. Easy parking. Our doodles loved the garden. Near to the moors and lovely town of Tavistock- would recommend.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: lovely relaxing stay
Liked least: a hairdryer would have been useful
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Katie S
Pirbright, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect stopover”
Reviewed 15 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

We booked The Coach House for 3 nights in November whilst visiting friends/family in the area. We had no problems finding the property and received a friendly greeting despite us not having given any indication of what time we would be arriving.
We had looked at many properties around the Tavistock area and The Coach House was by far the cheapest and my expectations weren't high because of this. However, the apartment was clean and had everything we needed for a few nights. A selection of games and DVDs were available to use and the kitchen had all the basics required including a slow cooker. The oven was small but worked efficiently.
The Edgcumbe Arms was a short walk away and was cosy to have a few drinks in the evening in front of the fire.
The only issue I would note is that the hot water did not last long enough so we could only have shallow baths.
Overall, considering the price, this property is perfect for short stays and we were very comfortable there.

Your age range 25-34
Narelle H
Armidale, Australia
“A Regrettable Experience”
Reviewed 21 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

We were off to a bad start when we couldn't find The Coach House! It took us two very stressful hours looking for our accommodation, only to discover we had actually been outside the premises early in our search.The sign on the gate said The Old Vicarage but as we were looking for The Coach House, thought we had the wrong establishment .I don't know if this is the owners fault or Trip Advisor, but suggest the more appropriate information should read "The Coach House at The Old Vicarage" .
Then when we finally got inside our accommodation, we were disappointed to find the quality was substandard.The carpet needed cleaning and the lounge suite needed to be sent to the rubbish tip--when sat on, it almost hit the floor!The linen on the bed was poor quality and the bath towels were hard, stained and smelly.The kitchen utensils were also inferior or non existent!
This unit has the potential to be something lovely, but we suggest the owners need to go and stay in some other similar establishments to see how it's done, as this was the only negative experience we had during our six weeks of such places in the UK.
Also, a folder containing information on how to use appliances, places of interest in the area, and local restaurants would be helpful.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Harriettt...
“Dog house”
Reviewed 12 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

I am saddened to write this review as this place has stunning potential.
This was booked as a birthday weekend treat. On arrival the host was friendly and told us where to park and informed us the key was in the door. We dropped our bags off and had a quick look arounf and were delighted with our own little mini hohse. We had been left with tea coffee and milk which was a nice gesture .
After a busy day we returned late at night to find something a little less spectacular as we first thought. We sat in the lounge and fiddled with the tv which we eventually got working but discovered the sofas were completely flat and uncomfortable. Not a big issue but they could do with replacing! So i sat on the floor. This is when i noticed the vast ammounts of dog hairs all over the floor. I myself suffer from bad skin and dog hairs were not to my taste. There wasnt just a few but plenty. The floor was covered . So i went to the bedroom to discover that the bed too had been graced with an army of hairs. Now i live in a student house so i cant say i am a clean snob but when you pay to stay away cleanliness is a must. An easy way to impress your guest. It was as if the floor had not been hoovered. I am aware the apartment was pet friendly but nethertheless the hairs were unreasonable. Back to the bed... so i stripped the cover to discover blood stains and yellow stains all over the mattress topper. (Oh and the dog hairs!). So i took this off to discover further blood stains on the mattress. Perhaps a new mattress is needed. The sleep was pleasant because the area is quiet. There was some building works locally when we stayed but this is no fault of the hosts. On top of the dog hairs the general appearance of the place is old. The paint is faded with marks all over the walls. There was several dead bees in the sink on arrival and it seemed a duster had never seen the coach house. In the morning we tried out the bathroom. The shower is not a full shower but an over bath. The bath is amazing very long and deep. However the water was luke warm and we did not know how to adjust the thermostat. Toiletries had been left by the host which was nice. However only one toilet roll was left for three nights... so we bought some more! I did not realise it was a complete host free venue where no involvement of the hosts occurs untill after the guests leave. The outdoor patio is infact a table and chair next to a big water tank. And you can hear the hosts tumble dryer or washing machine beneath the apartment in the downstairs garages.
I feel that the place is fantastic but work is needed. When you pay money to stay out the least it could be is clean. When we left we were told to leave the key in the door without even a question of how our stay was. If simple adjustments were made it could be 5star. However i felt tha birthday money was spent on an inadequately cleaned apartment. Sorry.

Management Response
13 May 2016
Hi Harriet
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience at The Coach House and mortified that you and your partner had to endure that for 3 nights. I honestly wish you had raised your concerns on the first night, we would have been more than happy to set you up in an alternative accommodation you were happy with free of charge. Cleanliness is not a luxury but a basic necessity, we have a cleaning service we use on a contract basis and have done so for over a year with no incidence however this time we had to make an exception as your partner requested to check in at 10am as opposed to the normal checkin time of 3 pm. We used a local cleaning service we havent used before and I will fully investigate this issue with them. That said we do rent a carpet cleaner to wash all upholstery and carpets after we have had a guest with pets.The bee in the sink, I do apologise for that, perhaps the reason for this is the fact that I opened the windows of the apartment just before you guys arrived (it was a sunny day and thought it would be nice to let some fresh air in) and perhaps the scent of the fresh flowers and chocolates I put in the apartment for your arrival attracted the bee? The Old Vicarage is surrounded by gardens we are very proud of and in the spring (which is the time you came) the flowers are in bloom and there is not a lot we can do about this. I did put an insect spray in the apartment incase this was a problem, next time I add this fact to the information pack we leave in the apartment. I did feel awful having to rush off when you guys arrived but again, check in is at 3pm and I work in the day so I had to run home to meet you guys at 10am and then run back to work. I also had no idea you guys would have liked more input from us. We have used self catering apartments before and the most important thing for us apart from cleanliness, was privacy, As a result, when we established the Coach house, we wanted to give the guests as much privacy as they wish but all my numbers, email address etc are available should you ever need them and more often than not, there is always someone home so you are never left on your own should you need anything. The mattress is brand new and the sofas are fairly new too but again, I will take this into advisement. The stats for the hot water in the bathroom can be adjusted by just a flick of a switch, again I do wish you had complained on your first night, I would have done the best I could to rectify any issues. Furthemore I handle all the linen for the coach house myself and I change, wash and iron every item before giving it to and we ourselves have no pets as my husband is allergic so I'm not really sure how to explain the dog hairs in your bed, again I wish you had informed me at the time and I would have looked into it straight away. I bumped into your partner on my way out around 9:15 on sunday morning, I think perhaps you were still inside the apartment, I did ask if everything was ok and apologised for having to dash off but I was running late for my son's rugby practice and I did mention that my husband was inside. The Old Vicarage is surrounded by over an acre of land and gardens we work very hard to keep looking beautiful all year round, the patio in front of the apartment with the garden chairs and table is for your privacy but you can wonder around to the other side of the garden if you so wish. That said, I'm so so sorry you had such an awful birthday weekend. If you are ever in devon again, we wish to offer you a night free and a bottle of wine on us if we havent frightened you off for good! Kindest regards. Sarah
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing