The Eels Foot Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$223
US$188
US$83
Satis House Hotel(Yoxford)(Great Value!)
US$118
  • Restaurant
The Crown(Southwold)
TripAdvisor
Blyth Hotel(Southwold)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Randolph Hotel(Southwold)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubrspb reservewhitebaitadnams beerwedgescircular walkgreat beeroutside seatingdunwich heathbeer gardenvaried menulovely eveningroom was spaciouswelsh rarebitsuffolk coastmashpizza oven
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 June 2011

A winning combination of a genuine old pub with modern efficiency. Great location being so near to Minsmere bird reserve with lovely walks on the doorstep. Good pub food, friendly service, with 6 very spacious comfortable en suite rooms (built only a few years ago) behind the pub overlooking the marshes, (one very slight niggle was we found the bed rather hard, but that's maybe cos we're not as young as we used to be). We will certainly come back when we want another great birdwatching break with good accommodation and food .

Room Tip: If possible ask for a family room for extra space
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank restlessSEEngland76
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Googled to find an inn/hotel that was near Minsmere Bird Reserve so that I could revisit the area after a 40 year absence! The Eels Foot Inn came up and I think the RSPB should be very grateful to have such a wonderful and friendly Inn at the edge of their flagship reserve. From the moment of my arrival the staff were approachable, friendly and helpful and I was given a clean, comfortable and individually decorated room which was lovely to retire to after hours out on the marshes or bike rides using the Inn's own bike hiring service. Fine and varied pub food and individualised breakfast added to the enjoyment as did the local ale and there was even local entertainment with a Thursday folk night. Highly recommended for anyone wanting a sense of calm, quiet and good old fashioned hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank j4c4h4d4
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Having previously eaten lunch in the Eel's Foot during visits to Minsmere, I was very happy when my wife booked a two night stay for my birthday. The welcome was great, and the rooms really clean, comfortable and well equipped. We ate in the pub on the first night - the food is excellent, and I particularly enjoyed the range of Adnams ales. My highlight of the weekend was a morning's birding with local expert John Grant - this was organised through the Eel's Foot landlord, Julian. I'm not a novice birder, but it was still really good to be out with someone who really knows the local area. If you're considering a stay in the area you'll struggle to find anywhere better than the Eel's Foot

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank GarethBlues
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We were so pleased that we couldn’t resist the chance to stay in a pub called 'Eels Foot'! We spent three nights in this lovely traditional and friendly Inn. Our room was comfortable, spacious and well equipped. It could have been a bit warmer, but I appreciate we were there on some of the coldest nights of the year. The bed was one of the best I have slept in away from home. Breakfast could not have been better, all freshly cooked and masses of it - good coffee too. The Inn has a good choice of evening meals, all of which are reasonably priced and very well cooked. Staff and locals all made us feel very welcome and were happy to recommend places to visit. Our main purpose for being in the area was to visit RSPB Minsmere, just a five minute drive away. Seeing a bittern, a hen harrier and a starling roost, ticked three of my 'must do's!! Also close by and well worth a visit were Soutwold, Aldeburgh and Snape Maltings as well as the lovely (even in December) Suffolk coast. If possible, stay at Eels Foot on a Thursday night when many local musician gather in the bar for a 'jam' session. One of the best evenings we have enjoyed for a long time. We shall certainly return.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Estelle099
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Stayed here for one night a Friday to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Good clean accommodation at the rear of the pub, with a good view. Had evening meal in the pub which was very good, although at busy periods I guess it can be busy, but then again it's a traditional pub and not a restaurant. Staff were friendly and helpful. Situated in area which is great for walking and taking in the coastal views. Good value for money. I would stay again and recommend it as a bit of a gem!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple