“Perfect Location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Eastbridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect Location”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed for one night whilst visiting RSPB Minsmere. Arrived early and were able to leave our bags in room and head off for the reserve. Chap who welcomed us very knowledgeable about walks and possible bird sightings. We stayed in a ground floor room which was very spacious, contemporary decor, clean and comfortable. Stayed on a Thursday night which is Squit night - great fun, 12 local musicians playing and a brilliant atmosphere in pub. Ate there in evening huge portions of well cooked food. Didn't object to filling in the card for breakfast and again it was well cooked and enough to set you up for the day! A perfect location from which to visit Minsmere, a friendly welcome, good food, fine ales and entertainment - what more could you want!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scarlet1957

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Usk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Booked a twin room for 2 nights and ended up in the wheelchair accessible room. This is a single storey annexe which adjoins the car park and it has a disabled parking space adjacent to it. All well and good so far unless it's a Sunday afternoon and there are a load of Hooray Henrys outside bragging loudly about their beemers and it sounds as if they're in the bathroom!

The bathroom was a really good size and spotlessly clean. The washbasin was very small - more suited to a cloakroom than a bathroom; it was just big enough to wash one's hands in but inadequate for more and positioned so close to the loo I would have thought wheelchair access would have been difficult. There was a bath with a shower over - nominally able-bodied, I found it difficult getting in & out - a walk-in shower might have been a better idea.

One of the twin beds creaked, and both were fitted with mattress covers which rustled so our sleep wasn't very restful. Tea and coffee supplies were available on a desk which was covered in biscuit crumbs - odd given that no biscuits were provided.

Pub food in the evenings was fine and service throughout was uniformly pleasant, however, it must be 30 years and in a very low-end b&b since I've been asked to fill in a form on arrival to state my breakfast preferences. I don't necessarily know 2 days in advance what I'm going to fancy for breakfast and in a £90 a night establishment I really don't see why I should have to. There was nothing other than toast or croissants (as long as you'd pre-booked them!) if you didn't want a cooked breakfast - again for £90 a night, yoghourt and/or fresh fruit should have been available. The full English (enjoyed with lip-smacking relish by a rather large couple sat next to us) was gargantuan. The moral is - order everything and waste what you can't eat!

I really, really wanted this place to be great because it's so close to RSPB Minsmere, but it's just not, not for the price and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leafwarbler
Crowborough
Reviewed 26 June 2011

A winning combination of a genuine old pub with modern efficiency. Great location being so near to Minsmere bird reserve with lovely walks on the doorstep. Good pub food, friendly service, with 6 very spacious comfortable en suite rooms (built only a few years ago) behind the pub overlooking the marshes, (one very slight niggle was we found the bed rather hard, but that's maybe cos we're not as young as we used to be). We will certainly come back when we want another great birdwatching break with good accommodation and food .

Room Tip: If possible ask for a family room for extra space
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank restlessSEEngland76
Chipping Norton
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Googled to find an inn/hotel that was near Minsmere Bird Reserve so that I could revisit the area after a 40 year absence! The Eels Foot Inn came up and I think the RSPB should be very grateful to have such a wonderful and friendly Inn at the edge of their flagship reserve. From the moment of my arrival the staff were approachable, friendly and helpful and I was given a clean, comfortable and individually decorated room which was lovely to retire to after hours out on the marshes or bike rides using the Inn's own bike hiring service. Fine and varied pub food and individualised breakfast added to the enjoyment as did the local ale and there was even local entertainment with a Thursday folk night. Highly recommended for anyone wanting a sense of calm, quiet and good old fashioned hospitality.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank j4c4h4d4
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Having previously eaten lunch in the Eel's Foot during visits to Minsmere, I was very happy when my wife booked a two night stay for my birthday. The welcome was great, and the rooms really clean, comfortable and well equipped. We ate in the pub on the first night - the food is excellent, and I particularly enjoyed the range of Adnams ales. My highlight of the weekend was a morning's birding with local expert John Grant - this was organised through the Eel's Foot landlord, Julian. I'm not a novice birder, but it was still really good to be out with someone who really knows the local area. If you're considering a stay in the area you'll struggle to find anywhere better than the Eel's Foot

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GarethBlues
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We were so pleased that we couldn’t resist the chance to stay in a pub called 'Eels Foot'! We spent three nights in this lovely traditional and friendly Inn. Our room was comfortable, spacious and well equipped. It could have been a bit warmer, but I appreciate we were there on some of the coldest nights of the year. The bed was one of the best I have slept in away from home. Breakfast could not have been better, all freshly cooked and masses of it - good coffee too. The Inn has a good choice of evening meals, all of which are reasonably priced and very well cooked. Staff and locals all made us feel very welcome and were happy to recommend places to visit. Our main purpose for being in the area was to visit RSPB Minsmere, just a five minute drive away. Seeing a bittern, a hen harrier and a starling roost, ticked three of my 'must do's!! Also close by and well worth a visit were Soutwold, Aldeburgh and Snape Maltings as well as the lovely (even in December) Suffolk coast. If possible, stay at Eels Foot on a Thursday night when many local musician gather in the bar for a 'jam' session. One of the best evenings we have enjoyed for a long time. We shall certainly return.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Estelle099
Essex
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Stayed here for one night a Friday to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Good clean accommodation at the rear of the pub, with a good view. Had evening meal in the pub which was very good, although at busy periods I guess it can be busy, but then again it's a traditional pub and not a restaurant. Staff were friendly and helpful. Situated in area which is great for walking and taking in the coastal views. Good value for money. I would stay again and recommend it as a bit of a gem!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NytramEssex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastbridge
The Westleton Crown
Satis House Hotel
Satis House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Yoxford
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to The Eels Foot Inn? Share your experiences!