“sunday lunch”
Review of Ship Inn Blaxhall

Ship Inn Blaxhall
Ranked #1 of 2 Blaxhall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2013

we found this lovely quant pub just down the road from where we live, we just stopped for a drink and landed up having sunday dinner, it was fab just like how ya mum would cook it, we go back most sundays now just to have sunday lunch, ,it is lovely the staff are really nice and the puddings are great also, all home cooked and very flaoursame ,give it a try its worth it

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of the Ship Inn, we value customer feedback and now discuss each and every review with the staff.
Objective customer feedback helps to identify where we are falling short of customer expectations and also give praise when the staff do exceptionally well.
We look forward to swelcoming you to The Ship Inn again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

Another visit another great stay , we had a very good meal and free musical entertainment , well done to all who made us feel very welcome . Great location wonderful facilities , a credit to the owners

• Stayed: January 2013
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write another review of our pub. We are delighted that you decided to visit us again and that you had a pleasant stay in spite of the bitter weather.

Your kind comments about the food and music are very much appreciated.

We take all customer feedback extremely seriously and now discuss each and every review with the staff, using the comments made as a valuable training tool.

Hopefully you will visit us again in the near future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Got here early - was told chef would be here shortly - she was. Couldn't do enough for us - steak perfectly cooked - asked for garlic mayo - no issues whatsoever - didn't have it but made straightaway.
Beer great - as always - staff polite and helpful
Would absolutely recommend - most poor reviews on here during busiest season when staff and establishment very stretched - all others very good
Recommended - beautiful location and rare beast - a proper village pub!!

• Stayed: December 2012
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to review your visit to our pub.

My wife and I have recently taken over the responsibility for managing this wonderful traditional English Public House. Unfortunately we are only on site part time at the moment, but will be here full time from April 2013..

We value all customer feedback, and discuss each review in detail with our team to ensure that we learn from our mistakes and can improve the customer experience on every visit (tech talk!)

We want everyone who visits this wonderful old fashioned pub to enjoy a warm friendly welcome, beautiful home made food, excellent real ale and a pleasant comfortable stay. It is only through meaningful feedback like yours that we can adjust what we do to achieve this.

Clearly you had a great time visiting us and we thank you for your positive comments.

Hopefully you will visit us again soon when Siggi and I can meet you personally.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We ate here in november 2011 whilst on holiday in aldebourgh we enjoyed it so much we decided to book a table for the last day of our november 2012 holiday to aldebourgh,things could not have been more different.
We booked a table for 4 at 18.30 on a friday evening,we arrive just before 18.30 first thing we noticed was the pub was freezing and it had already been open for half an hour my son said it was warmer in the car park and so would have been the welcome!
when asked if any fires or heating was to be put on the man behind the bar said he might get round to it!,as we were the only customers ii would hate to see his attitude when busy ,so we sat there in our coats shivering ,no sign of a menu and made to pay for drinks at bar wit no option of placing bar drinks on food bill.
After 20 minutes freezing waiting for some sort of service,one menu would have been nice, i explained that the gentlemans attitude had been terrible and we were made to feel most unwelcome and that we had decided to go elsewere ,the gentleman replied "fair enough"

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mark b
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of your experiences at our pub. Customer feedback is vitally important and we use it as a valuable tool to help highlight opportunities for improvement.

Having recently taken over as manager at The Ship Inn, I am working with the staff to bring about the necessary changes to restore this fantastic old pub to it's former glory. So far we have been making steady progress, but I am very sad to see that on this occasion we fell well short of the mark.

I can only apologise to you and the rest of your family that your second visit was not to the same standard as the first Clearly we let you badly and I have already discussed this at length with the individuals concerned.

There were technical reasons why the fires had not been lit, but the central heating should have been adjusted to compensate, but there was no excuse for the reception you received.

The Ship has always had an excellent reputation for the quality of its' food and beverages along with it's genial hospitality and fantastic traditional music. I am working hard with the Directors to restore this.

Perhaps, when you next visit our beautiful county, you will be generous enough to give us a second chance to demonstrate what a truly outstanding pub The Ship Inn really is.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

The Ship Inn came to my rescue when my original accommodation plans went out the window. I was working all last weekend in Saxmundham. My colleagues and I were booked into The Crown in Westleton for four nights, but there was a mix up with the booking and I found myself without a room. On phoning around, everything was booked up, until I came across The Ship. I was feeling particularly dejected, let down and not very happy with my colleagues, but the warm welcome I received from the staff at The Ship more than made up for it. Due to my very early start on a 12 hour shift on all four days, I was unable to take breakfast, but I was offered a breakfast bag if I wanted it. I would also like to thank the chef for producing a gorgeous plate full of bangers and mash with onion gravy, when I got back at 8.30 on Sunday evening, not realising, being Sunday, the restaurant had closed earlier. Thank you again to all the staff at The Ship Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Roz S
n0rf0lkgal, Director at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

So pleased we were able to help and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in making our guests feel welcome, and do our best to work round the time constraints that sometimes cause difficulties for business people staying with us. Well done chef and all staff concerned.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed at the Ship Inn for one night and were overall very pleased with our stay. The pub is a proper village/country pub with homecooked meals made with fresh ingredients. The chalets are basic but all you need for a short break. Having access to a fridge is a nice touch and the room and bathroom were clean and simply, but nicely, furnished. The staff were friendly and we enjoyed hanging out in the pub, having dinner, using the wi-fi on our laptop, etc. The location is great - all you can see for miles are fields and it is so quiet and relaxing. I can understand why some of the previous visitors have complained but if they expected a top-class hotel a) they're visiting the wrong place, and b) they would have to pay much more than £70 a night for a room of that size! The only negative points were breakfast was a little slow and nothing special - although the pub is in the middle of the countryside so you have to accept a slower pace sometimes - and I know the area well and have stayed in very similar chalets/pubs with rooms that charge the same price but are of a much higher standard. The Ship Inn could do with bringing the quality of their rooms to the same kind of level as their competitors so they don't attract the negative feedback as a result. For example, the owners could do with spending as little as a tenner on each room just to tidy it up a bit and modernise it slightly and then the ratings would be closer to excellent than very good :-) :-). A lovely weekend away overall; thank you very much. :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
n0rf0lkgal, Director at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for your very helpful review. I understand you stayed in one of our older chalets which are due for a little tlc. We have recently updated the larger chalets and will be looking at the others soon.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and thanks again for taking the trouble to write a review.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Yet again another outstanding stay , service first class , room was superb. Great location , wonderful food, good menu, good selection of ales. Would recommend. Locals very very friendly , ideal retreat.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vintageken
n0rf0lkgal, Director at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

So pleased you enjoyed your latest stay at The Ship. Thank you for taking the trouble to write this lovely review.

You obviously understand that we are a traditional country pub, doing our best to provide good food and drink, and comfortable accomodation at a reasonable price.

We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Ship Inn Blaxhall? Share your experiences!