“Good value weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ship Inn Blaxhall

Ship Inn Blaxhall
Ranked #1 of 2 Blaxhall B&B and Inns
cambridge uk
“Good value weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here on a girly weekend and had a very good time. Folk evening at the pub on the Friday with great atmosphere, though you could avoid it by staying in a separate bar. Adrian and Siggy are very friendly and welcoming at this traditional local. Helped me out with a hair dryer and plasters! The accommodation is gradually being upgraded and we stayed in the un-upgraded rooms at the front which were spotlessly clean if essentially basic. The breakfast was good - traditional English - with excellent locally sourced bacon and sausages. In this area £70 per room per night including breakfast is a very good deal. However, the rooms at the front are close to the road, so can be noisy and if you open the window you may just knock over anyone sitting on the picnic bench outside ... Guess the upgraded rooms further back will be more expensive but will be a lot quieter and private.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much quieter & have been upgraded.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. We too look forward to seeing you back at the ship yet again. Best wishes Siggi & Adrian.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Returned to the Ship for the third time to the same warm welcome and ambience as previously enjoyed . No pretentiousness just a good old fashioned pub with a great atmosphere and feel to it . Mine hosts Adrian and Siggy are true publicans in every sense . They know how to run a good honest Inn in a beautifully peaceful setting . Relaxing and welcoming . Good home cooked food puts the icing on the cake and for us personally the presence of canine friends is an absolute joy ! We will be back soon !!
Thank you . X

• Stayed May 2014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Our first impressions, after a whole day out at Sutton Hoo and the surrounding areas, were very good, of both the Inn itself and the bedrooms - we got exactly what we had ordered from the internet and the beds were very comfortable with lovely fresh white linens and towels. The Inn is just what many visitors to the area are looking for I'm sure - a charming old pub with good beer and food and comfortable, modern accommodation to stumble back to. Perfect!
The atmosphere in the Inn was friendly and the hosts genial but they just let themselves down by not having made sure our rooms were properly cleaned - the dust, dirt and stains on the otherwise lovely hard floors was frankly appalling: that sort of level of room hygiene is unacceptable generally and particularly for the 'premium room' that costs more. It would also be a nice touch to put a small bar of soap at the shower room sink - the 1 tiny bottle of shower soap between 2 adults did not stretch to use as both. For the cost of the rooms, more soap should be included.
We had dinner in the Inn and 3 out of the 4 of us had very nice 'gastro-pub' type food but unfortunately one meal was not good. These things happen, errors can be made BUT the way it was dealt with was very upsetting, with no replacement meal offered, even though they did not charge for the dish when we said we should not be expected to pay for it. Steak is expensive and if you can't cook it properly, don't offer it! The breakfast included in the price was very nice although I think 2 rashers of bacon could have been provided particularly for the member of our party who did not want baked beans: no baked beans were on his plate but there was nothing provided in place.
We really enjoyed our trip and want a 'go-to place to stay' when we return to the area. Still looking!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank D4yTr1pper
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Welcome to the world of Trip Advisor Reviews, as a regular reviewer myself, I am delighted to see more people joining up and writing their first reviews. Guest feedback is vitally important to the hospitality Industry and we use it not only as a barometer but also as a valuable training tool.

It is very important that reviews are factual, accurate, truthful and objective if they are to provide meaningful information to fellow travellers.

Siggi and I are very disappointed that the floor of your room was not properly cleaned and I can only apologise. I have spoken to the housekeeper about this and we have changed the way we do spot checks to prevent a 'repeat performance'.

The reason there is a small difference in the chalet rates is simply due to the size of the rooms and that the 'superior chalets' have kingsize beds. All our chalets offer the same level of comfort.

We provide good quality Shampoo and Shower Gel in each chalet, these are replaced daily if used. When you were shown to your chalet you were told that if you needed more of anything at all, be it tea bags or shampoo - 'please let us know'.

It is with great concern that I turn to your comments regarding the lady's steak. As you rightly say, steak is expensive and we take great care to buy the very best 25 day hung ribeyes which are sourced locally. Our chef has an enviable reputation for steaks and I can honestly say that the steak in question was cooked 'textbook' medium rare - nicely browned, pink through the centre with just a little blood. I think the problem is that the steak was not cooked to her liking and when I went to take it back I didn't listen properly. I like medium rare with no blood, and wrongly assumed it was 'under cooked' by the lady's taste - I did say I would get it cooked some more. That should have been a clue that I had misunderstood! When I returned with the steak which had been re-cooked more towards 'medium', nothing was said. It was only a few minutes later that I realised that all was still not well. Now, I did ask the lady if could get her something else instead, and she declined. I also removed the steak from the bill at check out the following morning. This was done voluntarily without any prompting from anyone in your party. It is only when I told the lady what I had done that she said that she hadn't expected to pay for it anyway. At the time she seemed very amiable about it, saying that she did outside catering herself and sometimes these things happen.

I take full responsibility for not listening properly and for making 'wild' assumptions and again can only apologise.

Finally, at breakfast, if a customer doesn't have one item that is on offer we do usually substitute it for something else, I am surprised that this didn't happen. As I mentioned before, if a guest would like more of anything - even bacon - simply ask.

Clearly we haven't met your expectations and that is a big disappointment to us too, we genuinely try to treat our customers as we would like to be treated ourselves. On this occasion a dirty floor and poor communication got the better of us!
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

We were doing some recording near this inn, and I had my reservations that such a place would be good for "business" people. It was lovely. The rooms are quiet because they are not in the same building as the pub. The hosts could not be more welcoming and accommodating. All in all, a lovely experience. All of us on this "gig" agreed that we'd come back again if in the area.

Room Tip: I think the cabins up the hill are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
It was fascinating talking to you about your work at Snape Maltings and to experience the passion & enthusiasm for the project. We look forward to hearing the finished product.

Thank you very much for the review, your kind words and positive feedback mean a lot to us.

We get a lot of visitors from 'The Maltings, both musicians and audience alike. I think everyone is attracted to the peaceful beautiful countryside that surrounds us, yet we are within easy access to everywhere.

Siggi and I wish you all continued success and hope you will visit us again.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is a typical English Inn located in the peaceful Suffolk countryside. The rooms are fairly basic and as such slightly overpriced but the landlord is fantastic - nothing is too much trouble for him and he was on hand to provide a great welcome and stay. The poor quality sleep was due to the very early morning "antics" in a neighbouring room rather than the room itself but the walls were thin enough to make the endurance marathon going on next door very audible. The Ship Inn provides good lodgings for a night or two and we heartily recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank speakout13
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write a review of your stay at the Ship Inn and also for your kind comments. We value all customer feedback and use it for ongoing development.

I am particularly interested in your comment regarding our being a 'little over priced' as we have been told by two online booking companies that we are very reasonably priced if not, a tad too cheap! We regularly 'price check' our key competitors. In most cases our rates are considerably lower when the whole package is taken into account. We are very keen to offer good quality, friendly service at a reasonable price

I had hoped to make some witty remark about the marathon antics in the room next door, but try as I may - words fail me! I can only apologise for your sleepless night...it must be the country air and the blanket of stars that we so regularly enjoy or maybe even the romantic Blaxhall sunsets.

Siggi and I are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the recommendation.

We hope that you will return another day, and enjoy a more restful night in the beautiful Suffolk countryside.

Best wishes,
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Would recommend the ship inn to anyone, lovely people who run it, nothing is too much trouble for them, and the atmosfire is cozy warm and friendly, The rooms are big and spacious and lovely and warm, and although the ship inn is in a rural location it has easy access to seaside locations, which are only a few miles away, will most diffently be going back, Thank you adrian and ziggy for making us feel very welcome

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Hello Jean,

Thank you for writing such a nice positive review of your stay at our pub, Siggi and I are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you will come again.

Please forgive my tardiness in responding, we have been exceptionally busy and I am only just catching up on my 'to do' list.

Naturally we will share your kind comments with the staff.

Best wishes,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

In August I was staying at the Ship Inn as I was working in the area.
The rooms are spacious, clean, tidy and had great tea and coffee facilities.
The breakfast is also wonderful.
When I was unable to get a taxi in the morning Adrian, the manager himself drove me to the nearest train station. Thank you again Adrian.

Such wonderful people and I really enjoyed my visit.

Sarah

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
AdrianBatstone, Manager at Ship Inn Blaxhall, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Hello again,

Thank you for writing such a nice review of your stay at the Ship Inn - Siggi and I really appreciate your kind comments. As a rule of thumb we simply try to treat our guests as we woulld like to be treated ourselves, there is no magic formula.

We hope you will come and stay with us again when you next perform at Snape Maltings.

With best wishes,

Adrian.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaxhall
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Yoxford
The Ship at Dunwich
The Ship at Dunwich
#1 of 1 in Dunwich

Been to Ship Inn Blaxhall? Share your experiences!