“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #1 of 8 Leintwardine B&B and Inns
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of a two night stay at The Lion whilst catching up with family and attending the Arcadia Music festival.
I loved the look of the hotel, it is very attractively decorated and set out with quality fittings and we received a warm welcome from Reception.
The room (7) was well appointed if on the small side - it was a surprise to find the fabulous bathroom was almost the same size! There was no view to speak of sadly, which was a shame as we understand that we were the only guests staying on our first night and their might have been a better room available?
We made use of the bar, the seating area and ate both nights in the restaurant, with family joining us on the second night.
Food was good, not the best we've had but perfectly acceptable for the price, it was an inventive menu and Chef was happy to make changes according to taste. I felt the portion sizes were more than adequate, with both of us leaving a bit as feeling well fed on the first night. (Coq au vin & Fish & chips)
Breakfast was superb on both mornings - cooked to order with wonderfully tasty ingredients, served with a smile in a lovely room with nice views. I'd go as far as to say it was one of the best cooked breakfasts I've ever had in a hotel.
On our second night family joined us for dinner and they liked the food as much as we did. Only slight niggle was how salty the side dishes of kale / cabbage were accompanying both the chicken and duck dishes. Otherwise the food was again well cooked, full of flavour and nicely presented
So all in all we enjoyed the stay and would happily stay again should the need arise.
Of particular note was how well trained, attentive and friendly the staff are, the service was really great from each and every staff member we encountered, so a big thank you is in order to all who made our stay such a pleasant one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LarriDB
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Good afternoon Larri
Thank you for posting a review and for your very positive comments which are very much apprecaited and will be passed on to our kitchen and front of house staff.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will be back again soon. Breakfast awaits!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

My wife book is into the hotel for one nights stay for my birthday.

The hotel is only a few miles outside Ludlow.

It's a fabulous venue, the staff where only too please to help.

The room was a little hot, but we found a fan to cool the room down.

The food was absolutely outstanding. Both my wife's meal and my own where first class, I can't recommend this venue enough.

Before dinner we sat outside by the river and its idyllic.

Wel worth a visit..

We will definitely going back and telling our friends.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank MickeyC0970
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Good morning Mickey
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed and by the way Happy Birthday!
Hope to see you again soon.
South Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stopped off for some during a walk and had some lovely food at the Lion Hotel. The staff were friendly and service was very good. A very good choice of beers and a great food menu. Will certainly go back.

Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hi John
Thanks for your review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal. - do come again soon.
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed for one Saturday night a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in room 4. Very pleasant inside and lovely view across the river, the window is a bit on the small side, as was the room, very clean and tidy, the bathroom was nearly as big as the bedroom. The only real downside of the accommodation was the noise from other guest coming and going from their rooms. The walls are thin and the doors have an auto close mechanism that if left to its own devices sends a shudder down the corridor. This may have been worse for our visit as I think the other rooms were all booked out to the same family and there comings and goings may have made this seem worse.

Both the evening meal in the restaurant and breakfast in the separate breakfast area, were excellent quality and very generous portions. All the staff were welcoming and friendly and seemed to enjoy their work. Special mention to the cleaners we met in the morning, who could not have been friendlier or more helpful when we came back with rather grassy and wet boots from a morning walk up the river bank.

Thanks to everyone concerned for a pleasant stay with you. Only giving 4 stars due to the noise in the accommodation rooms, everything else first class. Oh and the bed in room 4 is very squeaky!!!

Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Good morning Michael
Thank you for your review. Im glad you enjoyed your stay and your meals with us. I am sorry about the noise made by other guests walking up and down the landing and letting their doors slam - what can I say - that old perennial problem of noisy neighbours - I do hope you made the most of your squeeky bed to get your own back!
Joking aside, thanks for mentioning the squeeky bed I will ask our maintenance man to have a look and see if he can tighten up the fixings a bit, this is one of the things which is difficult to spot unless you actually sleep in the bed.
Another thank you, our housekeepers dont often get a mention - they are our unsung heros - I have passed your comments on which has put a smile on their faces.
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We arrived for an early dinner and wondered around the gardens at the back which confirmed the spectacular setting of this place .
As soon as we entered the Hotel we were met by a well presented lady who showed us to our table and handed us the menus .
Shortly after another well presented lady asked for our drinks order .
Then the first lady returned to take our order .
The meal was served by another well presented lady and my lamb was perfection along with perfect vegetables (although it must be said my wife thought the vegetables slightly under done) , who would be a chef cooking for all different tastes ?
I have specifically mentioned the staff because they contributed so much to the evening , very professional but also friendly and attentive .
It came over as a very well run operation , well done , and all for just under £20 per head (main meal and drinks) .
Many other restaurants could do a lot worse than send their staff undercover to see how it should be done .

Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Good morning Tony
Thank you for reviewing the Lion, I am glad you enjoyed your meal and liked the gardens, you are lucky this week to have had a day when it hasn't been a bit too wet to walk down to the river!
I will pass your comments on to the ladies who served you on the night, I feel they deserve the praise, but then I am biased, and I know that feedback about our service encourages everybody and keeps the standards up.
I hope you will visit us again soon.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

A fine old building, tastefully restored. Lots of attractive oak flooring and panelling. Very comfortable rooms, good value. Excellent, welcoming service. Some road noise but not intrusive.Dinner was also very good, my only minor quibble being a slightly limited wine list with a lack of information on vintages. But overall a great find and highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Good afternoon Gourmike
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
I am a little surprised you felt our wine list was limited, we do keep our wine cellar as well stocked as we can given the space available, and our staff are more than happy to talk you through the wine, vintages etc if you are unsure of what you would like to choose. Next time you stay if you would like a specific wine we are more than happy to source it for you with a little bit of notice.
Maesteg S Wales
Reviewed 2 September 2013

On a visit to Ludlow we were undecided whether to stay in Ludlow or further away. We were sol glad we chose further away at the Lion. Form the time we arrived the friendliness of the staff was amazing . The receptionist who welcomed us who was also our waitress in the evening and the morning deserves a special mention. The food was so good the fish cakes amazing. Will be recommending this hotel to all our friends and hopefully we will return later in the year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanswales
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Good afternoon Joan
Thank you for your review, I am glad you chose us.
Thank you for you comments about our staff, I think it was Georgie who checked you in and looked after you at dinner and breakfast, I will certainly pass your comments on to her.
We look forward tp seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leintwardine
Fishmore Hall
#1 of 1 in Bromfield
Old Downton Lodge
Old Downton Lodge
#1 of 1 in Downton on the Rock

Been to The Lion? Share your experiences!