“Eye off the ball”

Ranked #1 of 8 Leintwardine B&B and Inns
London
“Eye off the ball”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I called into The Lion for supper, and decided to have a pint by the river before eating. There is a lovely view. After waiting about 10 mins to be served, to be given a short pint of slightly cloudy beer, of finding my table in the garden was dirty with the spilled food of the previous users, and sitting downwind of a table of loud, smoking diners, I decided to go elsewhere. It seems the staff have taken their eye off the ball, a shame really.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that your visit this time was not as enjoyable as your last reviewed visit.

In good weather we do try to ensure the garden is well staffed so that we can keep up the very high standards we expect of our offering, however, early in the year when good weather can sneak up on us unexpected it is sometimes difficult to predict how many people we need. However, we would never normally allow tables to go uncleaned and drinks to be delivered low-filled and for this I apologise, perhaps you arrived very quickly after somebody had left the table and we had not had a chance to clear properly.

I can only apologise again for the guests who were smoking at the next table, unfortunately it is quite within their rights to do so in the garden and this is something which is beyond our control, normally when sitting outside the smoke would dissipate and would not cause a problem to other guests using the garden, although if there is a light breeze in the wrong direction I can appreciate that this may be less than pleasant.

I hope you will accept that this was an unusual experience and come and try us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had a quick lunch here today..just a pint of cider..burger and chips out on the terrace...as it was a beautiful sunny day...and i don't mind paying the premium for the location. In short, service was good, staff friendly, Robinson's cider excellent...but was surprised and really disappointed that such a simple meal was ruined by being served up 'cold'...(its a cardinal sin for any restaurant to do this)...the fact it was generally under seasoned (and no condiments were offered) didn't help matters...we eat out regularly..and this experience would definitely make me think twice about eating here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Good afternoon
Thank you for your review, it is always useful to hear guests experiences both good and bad and we will certainly learn from this occasion.
I am glad that our service was good and the cider served well, I can only apologise that your food was cold, this should never be the case and I am sure the Chef would happily have replaced the food for you had you pointed this out to him at the time.
Of course, when sitting in the garden or on the terrace, particularly at this time of year when there is a slight breeze and temperatures are still fairly cool even on a sunny day, food will not stay as hot as when taken inside, but it should have been delivered to the table piping hot, in which case I am sure you would not have mentioned it. I am very sorry and can assure you that this is most certainly not the norm at the Lion, please come again soon and let us prove this to you.
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

For a lovely Sunday Lunch couldn;t wish for a more pleasant place . ambiance was lovely staff were extremely pleasant and to top it all the food was excellent a splendid choice on the menu my friend had the beef looked mouthwatering i had the roast pork couldn;t fault it good choice of veg also , and starters and desserts excellent choice , and had coffee to finish in a joining lounge and no pressure to rush you a definite must they also have accomodation if you fancied a break away .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for your glowing review. It is always lovely to receive praise from customers and I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us. Perhaps you would like to come and stay next time.
Ludlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from Sunday lunch and it was excellent. The service was very professional the only thing they forgot was the water for the table, and that is nothing really. The food was presented well, very tasty, an excellent experience for Sunday lunch. I had the salmon and the beef, my husband had the soup and the pork. We both agreed it was probably the best Sunday lunch we have had in a pub. Well worth a visit

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your comments, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us. Sorry about the water! I hope you will come again.
Kent, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at The Lion for two nights on a shooting trip. We were the last to arrive and so got the smallest room. Having said that it was plenty big enough, nicely decorated with tea/coffee making facilities and the bed was very comfortable. Also the bathroom was a very decent size. We ate in The Lion on the first night and the food was extremely good as were the breakfasts we had in the evening. All the staff were very welcoming and helpful and the bar was a lovely place to chill out and relax. The Lion has been extensively refurbished and this has been done very tastefully. If you are in that part of the world then I can highly recommend The Lion.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Good morning, thank you very much for your positive review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Having been to The Lion a few times since it's big refurbishment, it is almost impossible to find fault. The decor ,ambience , quality of the food and cooking ,situation , friendliness of the staff difficult to find better. Do try their Hake & chips, just almost perfect ( almost perfect ,I would rather have a plate rather than the wooden platter). All the other dishes which our friends had were first class too. In the summer the river flowing past is so relaxing , at one time The Lion used to flood but that seems to have been remedied. Be prepared to wait a while for your food , it is cooked to order. Reasonably priced menu and wines too, especially for the quality served. Find the Lion if you are near Ludlow .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Good morning, Thank you for your really positive review.

I have noted your comment about the vegetarian choices and discuss it with the chef.

I am glad you enjoyed your meal and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We have been 3 times now to this hotel for lunch. All meals that we have had have been superb, but the Fish & Chips are the best ever. It is a very attractive hotel tastefully furnished , friendly and helpful staff. The situation is lovely with the river passing so close to the grassed area at the back. You have to be patient as the food is all freshly cooked which obviously takes time. Do visit The Lion sure you will not be disappointed. Would love to stay there but we live too close., pity!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Penn01, Owner at The Lion, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Good morning Graham
Thank you for your review, I am glad that we don't disappoint and that you have enjoyed your visit to us every time you come. I hope we can continue to please.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leintwardine
Fishmore Hall
#1 of 1 in Bromfield
Old Downton Lodge
Old Downton Lodge
#1 of 1 in Downton on the Rock

Been to The Lion? Share your experiences!