Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
old memories from hard workin times there!

Reviewed 2 April 2018
fonina
Balen, Belgium
Nice place for visiting with kids

Nice 'play-mountain" for kids, great environ for walking ! There are also a dive-club, shops and a... read more

Reviewed 12 August 2017
Kurt T
Houthalen, Belgium

All reviews nice place mines history guide belgium
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A family with kids (5&7), the museum becomes interesting thanks to the booklet, but the underground tour is definitely not for small kids, we needed to go out in the middle, i felt like i wasted our money

Johanna R, Public Relations Manager at Mining Museum Beringen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Sorry to hear this Joris, we try to accomodate as much as possible for the smaller children in the underground simulation. Off course, it is a darkish confined space and the tour is in Dutch. Happy the booklet gave you some more insight. We also have a free iPad-tour in different languages. I hope this was presented to you as well.

Best regards,

Mijnmuseum

Reviewed 2 April 2018

nice place to see the history from Belgium cole mines in the province limburg,called here beringen,you can go at special times with a guide for see all in the big factory,and down to the earth with elevator ,than you see how all this working!

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Nice 'play-mountain" for kids, great environ for walking !
There are also a dive-club, shops and a restaurant if you like to tast some Belgium beers.
Great place for the prof. mauntain biker!

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

My grandfather and uncle were working in the mine in Zolder so I wanted to learn more about it. At 11 o'clock I went to do a guided tour of the reconstructed underground. The whole tour is in Flemish unfortunately I speak only a little bit of it so didn't understand much however enough to grasp the concept.

Exhibition above was great too and the IPad guide in English was cool, however just a minor issue with finding numbers on the walls corresponding with recordings.

I will recommend to everyone to go and see it.

Reviewed 5 January 2017

The museum gives a good idea about the mining tradition of the area and Beringen especially. The testimonies of the guides who used to work in the mine are an additional value

Reviewed 14 June 2016

My dad was a miner here, so were my grandfathers. Growing up in Beringen in the 80s the mine was part of life, always in the background, and its cultural heritage still lives on long past its closure.
I never bothered visiting the museum, figuring I knew what it was about anyway. But my dad really wanted to show his kids "what a tough life" he had ;) And I must say the museum exceeded my expectations. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't go down the actual mine tunnels anymore (too dangerous and they've been sealed off) but the basement exposition of how the underground looked was very well done too. My dad was an enthousiastic guide, but we also had one of the official guides join us in the basement and he was excellent.
On some Sundays larger parts of the museum are opened up (with official guide tour).
Outside there's a café where you can try out the local "koolputtersbier" ("coal miner's beer") and have some food. Actually the outside of the mine complex is rather interesting too if you're into industrial architecture.
One of the old mine terrils (the debris excavated from the mines) can be climbed as a vantage point (for free), and the other one is being turned into an "adventure hill" with mountainbike track etc. And by the end of the year they'll open up a diving school on the premise as well, we'll probably return then so my boyfriend can give that a try, it sounds very cool.
A surpisingly nice way to spend an afternoon.

Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

Good overview of history of immigrants working on the mines, nice to see the variety of tools used. Don't forget to book a guided tour through the cellar, where piece of the mine is rebuilt.

Reviewed 14 August 2015

It has been a while but this experience was great, there is a lot of stuff still left from the time the mine was still open. We where even able to drive with one of the old trains that still works. Due to the fact that the mine is closed they made a mine look a like which gives you the feeling that you are walking in one of the old mine shafts.

The best part was that our tour was done by one of the former employees who knew everything out the mine and it's history you could ask everything and he would know the answer.

1  Thank JanusVL
Reviewed 26 June 2015

the old mine site has been completed renewed and given an atrractive vieuw towards the live in the mines and all the activities around .
Great site, highly recommended to visit with the family.

1  Thank Eric L
Reviewed 18 February 2015

Is the most complete museum related to the coalmine activity in Belgium.Easy accessible ,plenty of parking and after the visit on can taste a very good local beer called Koolputter .

2  Thank Alex109