“old memories from hard workin times there!”

Mining Museum Beringen
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Beringen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Het Mijnmuseum tells the story of the mines and mining in Limburg. The new museum opened in april 2012 and is highly interactive, with testimonials, a huge touchscreen and lots of audio and moviefragments. There is also the possibility to visit the underground simulation with an enthousiastic guide (ex-miner) to experience how the mineworkers had to work. There are programs for families, groups and schools.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 2 April 2018

nice place to see the history from Belgium cole mines in the province limburg,called here beringen,you can go at special times with a guide for see all in the big factory,and down to the earth with elevator ,than you see how all this working!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"belgium"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Nice 'play-mountain" for kids, great environ for walking !
There are also a dive-club, shops and a restaurant if you like to tast some Belgium beers.
Great place for the prof. mauntain biker!

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

My grandfather and uncle were working in the mine in Zolder so I wanted to learn more about it. At 11 o'clock I went to do a guided tour of the reconstructed underground. The whole tour is in Flemish unfortunately I speak only a little bit of it so didn't understand much however enough to grasp the concept.

Exhibition above was great too and the IPad guide in English was cool, however just a minor issue with finding numbers on the walls corresponding with recordings.

I will recommend to everyone to go and see it.

Reviewed 5 January 2017

The museum gives a good idea about the mining tradition of the area and Beringen especially. The testimonies of the guides who used to work in the mine are an additional value

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 June 2016

My dad was a miner here, so were my grandfathers. Growing up in Beringen in the 80s the mine was part of life, always in the background, and its cultural heritage still lives on long past its closure.
I never bothered visiting the museum, figuring I knew what it was about anyway. But my dad really wanted to show his kids "what a tough life" he had ;) And I must say the museum exceeded my expectations. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't go down the actual mine tunnels anymore (too dangerous and they've been sealed off) but the basement exposition of how the underground looked was very well done too. My dad was an enthousiastic guide, but we also had one of the official guides join us in the basement and he was excellent.
On some Sundays larger parts of the museum are opened up (with official guide tour).
Outside there's a café where you can try out the local "koolputtersbier" ("coal miner's beer") and have some food. Actually the outside of the mine complex is rather interesting too if you're into industrial architecture.
One of the old mine terrils (the debris excavated from the mines) can be climbed as a vantage point (for free), and the other one is being turned into an "adventure hill" with mountainbike track etc. And by the end of the year they'll open up a diving school on the premise as well, we'll probably return then so my boyfriend can give that a try, it sounds very cool.
A surpisingly nice way to spend an afternoon.