“Reasonable food but indifferent service”

Greswolde Arms Hotel
Ranked #17 of 24 Restaurants in Knowle
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have stopped going to the Greswold (which is local to us) as we have had too many niggling service problems-slow service, incorrect orders. I'll try to pursuade wife to try it again, but won't hold my breath.I know staff come and go so maybe it can improve. The menu is Chef & Brewer, so should be better than this.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have visited this establishment a few times over the past couple years after a move to knowle. Each time the service has been consistently bad. When visiting the restaurant with a friend a couple weeks ago, there was no staff in sight. We sat ourselves down and waited for ten minutes before getting up to find our own menus. When we did finally locate our waitress, she seemed to be the only person around. Food was nice. When it was time to pay we were asked to cme down to thr bar as the card machine doesn't work in the part of the restaurant we were sat in. It then took a further ten minutes to pay at the bar.
Whilst the food is nice, and pretty good value for money, the service is absolutely shocking. The manager (i assume he is as he is in his own clothes) appears uninterested, incompetent and almost rude on the occasions i have encountered him. From appearing annoyed whilst i decided what to eat at the bar, to then getting our orders wrong this is a place i would avoid at all costs. There is plenty of lovely places to visit in knowle but sadly this is not one of them.

1  Thank nickylou2014
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My fiance and family, 4 of us; visited here on Monday 14th April. Never been here before and it was a lot larger than I had expected. On arrival the outdoor seating area looked very relaxed and comfy. We opted to eat inside as it was cold and dark!
The bar staff were very friendly and conversational and we ordered our drinks. We had the option to sit in the main bar area or the restaurant, and opted for the latter.
We sat comfortable in a good sized booth and perused the menu at length. There is a really nice set menu for 2-3 courses and a good range of items available. The service was prompt and we ordered reasonably quickly.
No starters were had and our mains must have arrived within 20 minutes which was perfect for us. The food was hot, look great and appetizing. I had the burger and it was great! Really tasty and a good size; chips were lovely too and plenty of them. My mother had cod and chips, the cod was huge!
Desserts were equally as good and the waiters checked back to see if everything was okay with our meal. The cheese board was fantastic with 3 types of cheese in plentiful amounts and a good old chutney. My fiance was very happy with it!
We all enjoyed the experience and I would go back again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have actually been to this restaurant a couple of times before and have had a lovely meal with great service. This time however there were three generations to cater for...great-grandmother, grandmother/great aunt, grandmother, mother and two children...one teen and one pre-teen who can only see eye to eye when one or the other is hurt! Mothers' Day menu was perfect, well thought out and catered for all of us....too much for some of us who had eyes bigger than their stomachs! The service was excellent....despite being at full pelt since early lunch and filling up when we were leaving the staff were spot on and nothing was too much trouble....all done with lovely smiles and great manners. We will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Every time we have eaten here the service has been awful!!
Even at the bar, they never have enough staff and when we went to pay for our tab after a couple of drinks they had added wine that we never ordered.
Ok, they took it off no questions but had we not checked they would have gotten away with it!