“Excellent meal”

The Heron's Nest
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Visited here on 9/3/14. We were told on arrival that the menu was limited, and they had ran out of the majority of the Sunday roast menu. Luckily, me and my partner wanted something different. I had chicken and ham pie and my partner had haddock and chips, both of which were absolutely lovely! Took around 40 minutes to arrive but we were happy to enjoy a drink and take in the atmosphere! Again the dessert menu was missing a few dishes due to demand, but we shared a giant eclair which was divine. Prices are very reasonable. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Food was amazing although the wait was ridiculous. It was a Sunday and busy and they must have had a rush on the beef as we were told it was a 30 minute wait. It ended up an hour.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Owned by M&B their food knocks hell out of Marstons chain of pubs I.e Whittington Arms.The meal we had was battered fish and chips,what a difference to the regurgitated fish we had the previous week at the Whittington.Superbly cooked,a great piece of paddock and their chips were also a lot better.The only fly in the ointment is the fact they will be closing at the end of March for a return I just hope that the new menu won't be an arty farty menu and spoil their food.
The Heron is right by a canal with a lot of outside space,the wood fire crackling in the background leant an olde worlde feel to the pub,no doubt the new refurb will take out all the nice cosey features and we will be left with a sterile pub.
But for now the pub gets a huge thumbs up from us.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We visited the Heron's Nest on a recommendation. We hadn't booked but upon arrival we were politely seated at a table with plenty of room. Our waiter Sean was quick and attentive, taking our order for drinks, then food well within good times. His courteous manner set up a fantastic meal. Our mains arrived within 15 minutes, flavoursome and sumptuous we couldn't help but indulge in a dessert either. These arrived to the table, were hot and very tasty. So much nicer than the pre heated rubbish you receive at a lot of other restaurants.
We will definitely be visiting again, the ambience, the food and the service Sean provided us with were second to none.
I would highly recommend this little gem to anyone.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My partner and I went on Saturday night with his parents. Log fire was roaring, atmospheric candles, cosy, chilled out vibe. I've never been to a Vintage Pub before, and as a vegetarian, dining with three carnivores I was looking for something new to cater for all. I was pleasantly surprised with the wide variety of veggie dishes (dish of the day) which consisted of three cheese and potato pie, bean burger or mushroom korma. My family were pleased with the menu choice but each found something slightly off, steak was too fatty, gammon too dry, burger to hard. The tear and share garlic bread was extremely dry on the crust, and very soggy in the middle. All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will go back again. The table next to ordered a pie and a salmon dish, both of which looked lovely - definitely worth a try. I felt that each meal had an authentic, home made vibe about it. I went for the mini pudding plus coffee, and my pudding was as big as everybody else's!