“Tale of two halves”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knowle
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Tale of two halves”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

My visit was a real tale of two halves. However I have to say my complaint was dealt with extremely professionally so I will give a very brief comment with regards to this as I have discussed the detail with management.

The positives
+ Food and the service I received in the dining room. A very tasty meal and very friendly service.
+ Room was well appointed and nicely decorated bed was very comfortable.
+ Prompt and efficient check in

The negatives
- pay and display parking meant I got soaked twice (they refund the ticket but you have to put another ticket in the car)
- very noisy at night / early morning just couldn't sleep at all constantly woken up

Would certainly recommend for food, if you can be garunteed a quiet room then I guess it would be a good stay too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gingercat_2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night in September before travelling on to Birmingham airport. On first impression, public areas very clean and staff very friendly. Having read the reviews I had pre-booked a quiet room to the rear of the Hotel. Room very clean and tidy with no complaints other than there was no phone. We questioned reception regarding this, to which they stated that head office in their infinate wisdom had had them removed from all rooms. We feel that a phone is necessary in case of emergency. Bar prices are quite high. Food in the restaurant is nothing special and predictable. Breakfast was very disapointing. In this day and age - I would expect a buffet. When you dont eat tinned tomatoes and baked beans, an egg, a sausage (which I didn't eat because it was spicy) a mushroom and a rasher of bacon seemed somewhat lost on a large plate.
In conclusion, would we stay here again? Yes - as it is very handy for the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Devizes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My company were meeting in Bromsgrove and once again decided to stay overnight at the Greswolde after our get together. Check in was swift and polite and I was delighted to find that I had been given a super room way up in the rafters of this old coaching house. It was a bit of a trek to get there via various staircases and corridors but it was well worth it.

The door opens out into a comfortable living area complete with easy chairs and a table, along with a writing desk and wall mounted flat screen TV as well as a window overlooking Knowle High St. Walking through to the right takes you past a large, open wardrobe before entering the open plan bedroom area, boasting an enormous, and very comfortable bed, as well as a further, smaller wall-mounted TV, more easy chairs and bedside cabinets.

The bathroom, which was to the left of the entrance door was pristine and featured a full sized bath with shower as well as WC and wash basin.

We dined in that evening and I opted for the chicken and choritzo which was delicious and a good-sized portion. The meal was washed down with a couple of pints of Marston's Pedigree ale which was in tip top condition.

Even though my room ooverlooked the High St, I enjoyed a great night's sleep and went down for breakfast at 8am. As with my previous stay here, I was greeted by a waitress, and shown to a table. I helped myself to fruit juice and a mug of tea and had my order taken for a full English breakfast quickly. It turned up within a couple of minutes and was just the ticket.

Check out was equally efficient and friendly, even to the point of, " I hope will we be seeing you again?" When I reviewed the Greswolde three months ago, my four star rating was solely due to my slight disappointment with the room being like many other hotel chains but based upon the stay this time, and the wonderful room, it is now definitely a five star rating.

So, an very enjoyable stay and I look forward to the next visit.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Regular visitor for drinks and food, but a Friday night visit has really out me off. Friday is now music night apparently, so if you enjoy your meals accompanied by a 5 piece covers band or some X factor wannabe squawking along to a backing track, then this is ideal. But it's not for me unfortunately. The relaxing atmosphere last night was compounded by a dozen plus kids constantly running around in the pub in the hour that we were there --- more wacky warehouse than traditional pub atmosphere. Can't imagine what the folks who've booked accommodation here think.
I've noticed wholesale changes to the bar staff in recent weeks, which is never a great sign in my view. This has been accompanied by a failure to get staffing levels right - 10 min wait at the bar for an early evening pint, tables that are cluttered with glasses and plates. Food same as it ever was, but ambience shattered. Always disappointing when a regular haunt goes downhill....

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Greswolde Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Fbick

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Greswolde Arms Hotel who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board and passed it to the relevant teams.

We do hope to see you soon in Greswolde Arms Hotel soon.

Chef & Brewer

Travellers are raving about these Knowle hotels

High Peak UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I thought this was an average hotel because I thought the rooms were a bit dated and tired with marks on the carpets and walls etc the main light are like something from the seventies bit like a dentist light not sure what going on there this was room 6 by the way.
Only one bar staff so prepare for a wait if busy. Also at breakfast again one person serving poor girl and the breakfast was just warmish I saw people send there's back to the kitchen as it was stone cold, note to manager use more staff at breakfast to stop this happening.
Various nice places to eat around there too didn't risk the meal in the evening there due to breakfast being a bit of a wait and only just warm so again this has had a knock on effect for the hotels business. Not much of an atmosphere at this place to be honest.
Also when trying to sleep very noisy in room 6 and the room above was like a stampede and creaking ceilings so don't expect a goon nights sleep heard other comment the same at breakfast too. I would not stay there with my family i'm afraid.

Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Nice hotel with comfortable rooms and good location BUT there is a fan (or a number of fans) underneath room 11 which come on at around 4.30am to heat the hotel. These are extremely loud and irritating. Was like trying to sleep on a plane.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Greswolde Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear kevin a

Thank you for providing us with your review

We do hope to see you soon.

Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

The hotel is in the centre of the very classy Knowle village. Practically outside the hotels door on the high street is a mass of restaurants and pubs to cater for most tastes.
I chose the hotel to have something different from the usual Travel lodge clinical type accommodation. The hotels bar seemed a very popular trendy location for locals serving typical bar food. I would describe its style as "Cost a coffee" Brown seating cosy corners!
I had room 10 a double over looking the roof with the aircon units! If you like sleeping with your window open you might like another room.
When the cleaner were doing their job the next morning and all the room doors were open I was able to have a good look at the other rooms on that corridor. Room 10 was by far the smallest. Rooms 7 and 9 opposite overlooked the side road and would not have the air con unit noise and were a lot larger.
Super king bed and pillows were very comfortable.
I Had breakfast there it was very good.
I would stay there again but not in room 10.

Room Tip: Not room 10! of the rooms on my corridor a room over looking the side street would be best