“Basic and ok”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knowle
UK
“Basic and ok”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Tired and a bit shabby, but clean and everything worked. Comfy bed, large thick towels, plenty if hot water. No toiletries at all, not even soap on the basin. Staff helpful and cheerful. Large bar area, food all day into the evening, opposite a curry house and right in the village of Knowle with all sorts of other shops etc, five mins form M42 junction 5.
Only stayed one night. Room 8 - tv remote control absolutely filthy, toilet needed some enthusiastic flushing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
huddersfield
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I spent 2 nights here in Jan 2014. The service was excellent, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable. It has a (very) small gym and sauna which I used - good facilities. The bar area is large and comfortable with a reasonable range of beers. I didn't eat there but the menu looked very good. Its right in the centre of the village which has a number of pubs and restaurants in walking distance so very handy.

I'm looking forward to staying there again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Let's deal with the rooms first. My room was pretty much what you expect for the price. Probably on par with a Premier Inn, functional, clean, decent bed etc. Perfect for an overnight stay for work. Now the service. Appalling would be a positive statement. Couldn't get wifi in room so dialled reception, rang for at least 15mins. Then I rang the hotel landline to be told that they were short staffed which is why they didn't answer. That's good to know. My £90 quid room rate isn't worth someone to be on reception & after a promise to sort the wifi it still doesn't work. The website say wifi throughout-not my experience. . Now the bar - there's a nice pub 4 mins down the road that is about a pound cheaper per pint, plenty of staff to serve who do so with a smile. Draw your own conclusions.
In summary then: rooms ok but the rest is shocking. Value =low

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Greswolde Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear GS-CVT

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Greswolde Arms Hotel in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Travellers are raving about these Knowle hotels

Leeds
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stay here a lot while traveling on business. Always clean rooms, food is good and the service is always spot on. No fuss just does what a decent hotel should.

Bar area is clean and a decent atmosphere. The gym is a bit basic but I only stay for periods or normally one night

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My visit was a real tale of two halves. However I have to say my complaint was dealt with extremely professionally so I will give a very brief comment with regards to this as I have discussed the detail with management.

The positives
+ Food and the service I received in the dining room. A very tasty meal and very friendly service.
+ Room was well appointed and nicely decorated bed was very comfortable.
+ Prompt and efficient check in

The negatives
- pay and display parking meant I got soaked twice (they refund the ticket but you have to put another ticket in the car)
- very noisy at night / early morning just couldn't sleep at all constantly woken up

Would certainly recommend for food, if you can be garunteed a quiet room then I guess it would be a good stay too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gingercat_2010
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night in September before travelling on to Birmingham airport. On first impression, public areas very clean and staff very friendly. Having read the reviews I had pre-booked a quiet room to the rear of the Hotel. Room very clean and tidy with no complaints other than there was no phone. We questioned reception regarding this, to which they stated that head office in their infinate wisdom had had them removed from all rooms. We feel that a phone is necessary in case of emergency. Bar prices are quite high. Food in the restaurant is nothing special and predictable. Breakfast was very disapointing. In this day and age - I would expect a buffet. When you dont eat tinned tomatoes and baked beans, an egg, a sausage (which I didn't eat because it was spicy) a mushroom and a rasher of bacon seemed somewhat lost on a large plate.
In conclusion, would we stay here again? Yes - as it is very handy for the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My company were meeting in Bromsgrove and once again decided to stay overnight at the Greswolde after our get together. Check in was swift and polite and I was delighted to find that I had been given a super room way up in the rafters of this old coaching house. It was a bit of a trek to get there via various staircases and corridors but it was well worth it.

The door opens out into a comfortable living area complete with easy chairs and a table, along with a writing desk and wall mounted flat screen TV as well as a window overlooking Knowle High St. Walking through to the right takes you past a large, open wardrobe before entering the open plan bedroom area, boasting an enormous, and very comfortable bed, as well as a further, smaller wall-mounted TV, more easy chairs and bedside cabinets.

The bathroom, which was to the left of the entrance door was pristine and featured a full sized bath with shower as well as WC and wash basin.

We dined in that evening and I opted for the chicken and choritzo which was delicious and a good-sized portion. The meal was washed down with a couple of pints of Marston's Pedigree ale which was in tip top condition.

Even though my room ooverlooked the High St, I enjoyed a great night's sleep and went down for breakfast at 8am. As with my previous stay here, I was greeted by a waitress, and shown to a table. I helped myself to fruit juice and a mug of tea and had my order taken for a full English breakfast quickly. It turned up within a couple of minutes and was just the ticket.

Check out was equally efficient and friendly, even to the point of, " I hope will we be seeing you again?" When I reviewed the Greswolde three months ago, my four star rating was solely due to my slight disappointment with the room being like many other hotel chains but based upon the stay this time, and the wonderful room, it is now definitely a five star rating.

So, an very enjoyable stay and I look forward to the next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knowle
Hogarths Hotel
#14 of 28 in Solihull
Ramada Birmingham Solihull
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Nailcote Hall Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Greswolde Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!