“A great venue for a large gathering!”
Review of Cholwell Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clutton
Cholwell Hall
Ranked #4 of 4 Clutton B&B and Inns
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“A great venue for a large gathering!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Cholwell Hall was ample for our party of 20 adults and 3 children. It's large enough for you not to feel you are on top of one another. The places they recommended for catering and eating out were all good. Ian made sure we had all the information we needed and very helpful when one if our party had to make a trip to urgent care centre! All was well I hasten to add

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Cholwell Hall worked really well as a "hen do" venue. The house is comfortable, warm, a bit quirky and the beds, bathrooms & kitchen are spotlessly clean. The kitchen was well equipped with lots of crockery & cutlery, and an immense wine/beer fridge! We managed to churn out home made pizzas for 20+ on Friday night and eat them round the kitchen table... and the dishwasher works! The lounge has comfy furniture and a karaoke machine (!), as well as a games area with table footie & pool table. The dining room has amazing formal furniture, set out in a square - worked well for competitive cup-cake decorating (!) & Saturday lunch which was "afternoon tea" style... Some of the bathrooms are dated (avocado!) but the showers work and the there is new wallpaper. The bathrooms, beds & bed-linen were fresh & clean - much appreciated after the dodgy night club facilities in Bath :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christine H
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have just returned home from having spent 2 nights at Cholwell Hall. I went there with 12 of my daughters friends for a hen party to celebrate her forth coming wedding.
I can not speak highly enough of Ian, Lucy and team for the excellent service we received from them. We were due to go to another venue when unfortunately beyond the owners control we were unable to go. The owner of this other property contacted Cholwell Hall on our behalf to see if they could accommodate us. This was with only 3days to go!
Ian came to the rescue, we had various phone calls with Ian late on the Monday evening, followed with various e mails. Friday eventually came and we set off for Cholwell Hall. On arrival someone met us opened the door and my reaction was WOW!!
Cholwell Hall is very large and very spacious, comfy beds various rooms with ensuites, plenty of hot water, beautiful dining room, huge lounge and a very large kitchen. The whole weekend was brilliant.
I would not hesitate in going again, a fantastic venue for a large number of people, where you can make plenty of noise and not disturb anyone.
To the team of Cholwell hall thank you all so very much for saving the day and your very efficient handling of our booking.

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I tried to book this venue for a friends and their families get together in November but, having sent a request for information email and indeed received a reply, I then decided there were quite a few questions I needed to ask so I requested a telephone number which was refused saying that I could ask as many questions as I liked but it had to be by email.

I was then told that there was going to be some renovation work that weekend and detailed that there shouldn't be any disruption. Obviously after this news I had quite a few more questions and proceeded to 'to and fro' with emails. After the first couple of questions an answer came back that we would not be allowed to carry on with our booking. I decided to book this place after a friend of a friend who had cancelled her booking needed to fill some dates otherwise she would lose her deposit. My family and some friends had been looking for somewhere to spend a weekend and, after having a closer look, this seemed ideal. Everyone agreed so we decided to book. It would also be helping out a friend's daughter so that she could get her deposit back.

The whole experience was very unprofessionally handled. I would definitely press for a phone number if you are thinking of booking.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank casafiori
LucyBell-Cholwell, Guest Relations Manager at Cholwell Hall, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
This review should be read in conjunction with the earlier one from "CRandy84", as they are friends who are working together to secure the return of a deposit for a booking that the group cancelled. This was a bogus enquiry - the person had no intention of booking but was trying to help her friend and I will try to explain this bizarre situation below. Please remember, this reviewer has never seen Cholwell Hall and nor has her friend CRandy who cancelled her November booking. I have already posted a lengthy reply to the CRandy one - sorry there is such a lot to read.

We have followed the cancellation policy carefully, and there is no entitlement to a refund. A refund can be given if we are able to secure an alternative group reservation. Altogether, close to 40 emails were exchanged with CRandy before she cancelled (while we were still turning away perfectly valid queries from other groups), and an additional 24 emails were exchanged with this reviewer. We bent over backwards to answer the string of questions from this one "casafiori", but as these questions became ever more odd, it grew clear to us that this was a set-up, whereby we were supposed to turn down the booking and so shift blame to ourselves. So what happened? We did turn this down, and hey presto, up pops CRandy moments later saying Shame! You turned my friend down, so pay up or I will pour a ton of nasty publicity onto you.

I am sorry CRandy and Casa, we will do our business fairly, and will not be intimidated by threats of this sort, which are akin to blackmail (of the innocent). Were we justified in turning down Casa? Yes, it was clear they were never going to book. The lady had no idea where the house was. She didn't know whether it has grounds. When we said a corner of the grounds would have an excavator at work, she said is that in the room next to mine? I repeated that it was outside. Then she asked will there be a digger. I explained that excavator is my fancy word for a digger. Then she asked for a link to the photos of the grounds that I was trying to describe. The photos are on the website, that she had never looked at. And so it went on ... I think that even Job would have put a stop to it eventually.

As far as Tripadvisor is concerned, we now have two reviews about one booking, even though no trip to the accommodation took place! We have a concerted attempt to extort (sorry to be so frank, but the cancellation policy is simple and clear), using deception. Dreadful, and shocking to us and presumably to you, the reader who is trying to make head 'n tail of it all. Whilst the vast majority of the public is fair minded, I regret that occasionaly we have to deal with this sort of thing. We feel we have no option but to tell it as it is ...

I hope Tripadvisor takes action to remove shoddy reviews like this that lower the standard for the rest.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I am a very honest and fair Tripadvisor reviewer and I don't enjoy leaving such a bad review but I feel I need to warn others against booking Cholwell Hall.

The booking secretary Lucy is terrible at responding to emails and it is impossible to find a telephone number in which to contact anybody on regarding a booking.

We booked Cholwell Hall for a hen weekend and were very much looking forward to it, however, we started to worry that 4 weeks after transferring the large deposit, we still had not received a letter of confirmation despite requesting in on more than one occasion. With the weekend quickly approaching and failing to get a reply from our emails, we began to worry and so decided to find alternative accommodation and cancel our reservation at Cholwell Hall.

Eventually we did hear back from Lucy who confirmed our cancelled booking. In the terms & conditions it states that £200 of the deposit is a non-refundable admin fee, at this stage as it was clear Cholwell Hall had done absolutely no admin relating to our booking as they hadn't even sent a confirmation letter, I requested a refund of the £200, this was refused.

The other £200 is refundable should the property be re-let on the same dates. This in mind, I decided to try and find somebody to take on my booking, a friend of a friend wanted to do so and so contacted Lucy. Again, communication was difficult with long gaps in-between replies and no telephone number being given despite repeatedly asking for one. After 2 weeks of emails Lucy explained that there was conservation work happening over that weekend and she would not be pursuing with the booking.

Therefore, we did not receive any of our £400 deposit back which I think is very unfair. This is a lot of money and we received a terrible service leading to a lot of stress and a lot of sleepless nights.

Lucy is very rude and unprofessional, she spoke to me in a way that no business should ever speak to it's customer. I have never in my life dealt with such a horrible person and I would strongly advise that you find somewhere else to stay as there are plenty of other properties in the area which are also much more reasonably priced.

It is your decision as to whether or not you book Cholwell Hall, my advice would be to exercise extreme caution and I wish you the best of luck in dealing with them as they are the most unprofessional/untrustworthy company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
13 Thank cday84
portsmouth
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed for a surprise 40th birthday weekend.

The place is very large, and easily accommodated the 28 of us. The largest bedroom became home for 8 kids and they loved it.

It is definately a house for a large group, but everything was very clean, and everything worked....

The garden was great for the kids, just enough to keep them interested, even on a cold day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
LucyBell-Cholwell, Guest Relations Manager at Cholwell Hall, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
That's super, thank you for your kind words. You were a great group, and it was a pleasure to take your booking.

Behind the scenes, quite a few people (house-keeper, maintenance man, cleaners, and dare I include myself ..) put a lot into making the guest experience pleasant. How nice it is to get a pat on the back, a thank you. Very morale boosting! This is a wonderful business to be in.

Best wishes to all
Lucy
Southampton
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were on a 30th birthday celebration with friends some of which we hadn't seen for several years. Our weekend surpassed all our expectations, Cholwell Hall is definitely a great place to have a celebration if you are a large group.
From the moment we drove up the drive to the front door the mood was lifted; brilliant views, superb house. Inside it was all we imagined from the website. There is loads of space, well maintained, huge rooms, and overall smart décor. All the beds were comfy, everything was clean, and everyone was happy.
We had a party in the main lounge on the Friday as people arrived at different times. Noise didn't seem to be a problem, as the house has a private setting. On the Saturday we went to Bath in the evening and I can recommend Woods restaurant who couldn't have done more to look after us.
If I had to criticise at all, some of the bedrooms are smaller than others, so be ready to allocate accordingly! The décor is brilliant on the whole, only slightly worn here and there, but nothing to take away the grandeur and splendour that is everywhere. Everything worked, we had lots of hot water for a group of 26, and we were looked after by the duty staff who called with new table tennis balls after we rang to enquire.
This was brilliant value for the price, and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clutton
The Carpenters Arms
#1 of 4 in Clutton
The Warwick Arms
The Warwick Arms
#3 of 4 in Clutton

Been to Cholwell Hall? Share your experiences!