“One of the Best!”

Amethyst Court Motor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Porirua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was initially nervous about booking in to Amethyst, because I had read a few poor reviews.
My experience was fantastic! Even though this motel is 6 years of age everything looks as new.
I have stayed in many Motels/hotels around the world over a number of years and Amethyst is up there with the best of them for...
cleanliness and friendly Service Great shower and little soaps and shampoos etc.

The Hosts had even put my heaters on as I was late getting in on the first night.I stayed in room 805 and it has the sun streaming in on th the little table and chairs to have brekky at in the morning....automatic lights that come on when you go down the hall at night to your room...and Quiet!!!

I will deinitely stay here again when back at Porirua..dont forget to go to Pataka Gallery Complex.....fantastic exhibitions and cafe...

Room Tip: See above re room 805
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
court02, Owner at Amethyst Court Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thankyou for your glowing review - it is very much appreciated.
We are so glad you enjoyed you stay at our Motor Lodge and look forward to seeing you again next time you are requring accommodation in Porirua.

Murray & Helen

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Such a great place to stay have had 3 stays recently - of 1 night 2 nights and then 4 nights- very clean rooms- such friendly moteliers and with a yummy smell of food cooking that made me order breakfast each day and that was the best value for money.
On my first stay I had a hold up and rang to say I would be late in like 11 pm - the man was very accomodating - he had boiled the jug in my room and put the heaters on - was waiting for me to arrive - and helped me with my bags.
Sure dont no how the other review had this trouble - just doesnt seem like these people
Thank you and I will definately be back when on business in Wellington

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
court02, Owner at Amethyst Court Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Thankyou for your lovely review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you choose our Motor Lodge for your accommodation requirements next time you are in Porirua

Murray & Helen

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

The people who run this place were incredibly rude to the point of hanging up on me when I tried to make a booking after telling me rooms were available. Don't bother contacting this hotel if you want a late arrival or are coming off the ferry. Normal practise for late arrival is to leave room open and take payment before not be rude!

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank rogerssa
court02, Owner at Amethyst Court Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thankyou for your second review after the 1st one was removed from Trip Advisor because you violated their guidelines. As we have already explained our website states we do not accept guests checking into our complex after 9pm and you were coming off a late ferry and 9 times out of 10 the ferries are always later than the scheduled time of arrival.

We do not have keys for the suites, we have swipe cards and we need to explain the procedure on using them to gain entry. We are not allowed to leave cards out for guests as this would void our insurance cover.

You were not hung up on - you did not get the answer you wanted.

Murray Mears

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed in the spa unit on ground floor. Unit was warm and very comfortable. Lady on reception was very pleasant. Good spaces for car parking. Nice and easy walk to shopping centre which is just accross the road.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors would get better veiws.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
court02, Owner at Amethyst Court Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thankyou for your lovely review - it is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately we do not have any Spa Bath Suites on the top floor.

Murray & Helen Mears

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Having travelled across South East Asia,Europe,Australia & New Zeal&,we never thought the stay would be any different.Couple of our visiting guests flying in from Auckl& & Sydney. Due to mild earthquake jolt during 16th Aug noon,there were enough travel chaos that was going through major roadways in Wellington so we all expected to just reach the motel & rest it out before heading for our exhibition following day.

1:The accommodation we booked was 2 bedroom unit (queen bed & 2 single beds),due to last minute travel plan we thought it would not be much of an issue to have 4 guests (in total) staying at the unit. One of our friend arrived at the motel early so it was great that she could check-in before we arrived.
After we reached the motel the first thing we encountered was bit petty (may be reasonable for the owners) of charging $25 extra for the 4th person - well it wasn't big deal considering we didn't want to spoil the
experience for our guests,as we already had one guest checked-in plus it was too late to book elsewhere.

2:As we stayed at the motel to attend an exhibition,we had few printouts to be taken at the last minute so our guest asked at reception if we could get the printouts & were told that 20 cents would be
charged per copy -fair enough.
Following morning before heading to the event I went downstairs with an USB & asked for total of 10 printouts,Helen was at reception with usual grumpy look & she yelled "Maurice",the gentleman came out with a map &
showed me where I could get the printout. Oh well! I got the sign & without spoiling our day,went ahead to our exhibition & we managed to get printouts somehow.

3:We did online booking so didnt know one of bedroom (which had single beds) didnt have any window.
Our guest was in Wellington for the first time & due to earthquake,she was bit shaken to sleep in this windowless room,so we neatly picked up one single bed & arranged it in the hall.
Following morning we all woke up,did out bits & left for the exhibition. No concerns were raised by anyone for whatsoever reasons even next day though we saw Helen & Maurice every single day at the reception.
During checkout,Helen again kept her usual grumpy face & said to my wife "I'm very upset" only after asking for the reason she says "Oh you took out the single bed from 2nd bedroom & placed it in the hall which raises hygiene problem". Regardless of what the reason was,we felt there was much better way to express
such concerns i.e. notifying us after first room service,she saw us every single & not just during checkout on day 4 (we extended 1 day of our stay,perhaps that was a reason she was into pretentious sweet talking)
On Day 3,Helen was showing the motel to few of their guests & was extra sweet,we didn't know what was coming our way. Upfront & honest behaviour is something we'd have appreciated.

4:We had many small things to be carried to the car during checkout,so I started our move from 9:30am onwards by carrying simple handheld stuff,its our nature to exchange smile; when I came across Helen,she was quite rude to just look elsewhere. This was totally not called for or appropriate for anyone in service sector.
At 10:15 while I'm still taking our luggage out,our phone kept ringing (perhaps reminder call from reception that we were running 15 minutes overboard the checkout time). The motel pretty much looked vacant to us &
15 minutes delay is not end of the world. They must have seen me 3-4 times while I carried our stuff downstairs)- Oh! There's no lift if you have heavy luggage.

5:Shower! There is a lovely note with a message in bathroom about saving water/reusing towels.
The shower area is designed in such a way that water seeps out even if one is extra careful,resulting in throwing one extra towel to soak the water.

I should have read honest feedback about the service & did my research better-this is just our experience.

Room Tip: Broadband is available but no wifi. Do ask for longer broadband cable. If you have phobia with bedro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
court02, Owner at Amethyst Court Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Prior to check in I was telephoned by the guest and advised that there were now 4 persons for the 1st night & 2nd night and two persons on the 3rd night. I was asked if I would let one of the guests who was arriving early into the room in which we allowed an early check in. When the person who booked the suite arrived I advised them that the booking was made for 2 guests only and they would be required to pay an extra $25.00 per person per night which they objected to.
On check in they also enquired about another suite for their two extra guests who did not want to share the 2nd bedroom of the two bedroom suite and were quoted $145.00 per night - the offer of another suite was declined. Rather than coming to reception and asking for a rollaway bed to put in the lounge they removed the mattress from the base and placed it on the lounge floor - most unhygenic for the next guest. They did this to avoid paying for another suite
Our compendium states that we charge 20cents per page for photocopying. We do not print information from memory sticks for the fear of a virus especially during when other guests are checking out between the hours of 9-10am.
The shower is on a swivel and can be moved to any position required.
Guests were telephoned at 10.15am ( we gave them some extra time to move their belongings from the room) they did not answer the telephone and finally checked out at 10.30am .
On checkout I discussed the mattress being on the lounge floor and said we were very unhappy that they did not ask for a rollaway bed.
We were most surprised that if we are such bad hosts they extended their reservation by another night after 3 nights of our bad service.

Murray (not Maurice as stated) & Helen Mears

Reviewed 29 May 2013

excellent location, close to everything and the service from staff was amazing. The rooms are clean and tidy and the daily cleaning is done very well. No traffic noise even though its on a busy road. We stayed here for work and we will definitely be returning. I will also return for personal purpose. Rooms are modern and well appointed. Great kitchen facilities in the room we stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Stayed for one night - room very well appointed and comfortable. Being a colder day I really appreciated that the heater had been turned on so the room was cosy. There was no traffic noise in the unit I was in, despite being on a very busy road. Great location with the proximity to the mall. Pleasant and professional gentleman in reception both on arrival and departure.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porirua
No photo provided
#2 of 2 in Porirua
Moana Lodge
Moana Lodge
#1 of 1 in Plimmerton

Been to Amethyst Court Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!