“Simple but enjoyable country living”

Country Club Killarney
Country Club Killarney
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Firstly let me state that I'm a timeshare owner in this "resort" and have been since it was developed. The term "Country Club" is definitely misleading particularly if one applies the American use of the term.
This development is located in the countryside, with basic amenities, but with everything one needs for an enjoyable self-catering week stay. It has a good on site 'pub', serving food on Sunday and music most weekends in 'high season'. It is within easy travelling distance from all the attractions that Killarney, South Kerry, and West Cork have to offer.
My family & I have used and enjoyed KCC for the last 10 years. Unfortunately, in recent years the general upkeep and appearance of the 'resort' has suffered from lack of investment. This is very disappointing but not something the timeshare association has control over. The timeshare unit that we use (No22) has always been in an acceptable condition (not perfect) and well serviced. Our most recent stay was only last week, end July.
My advise to any intending guest is to manage your expectations. This is self-catering in rural Ireland. Clean linen, towels, furniture in good condition and facilities that work. We haven't experienced the "unsanitary, unsafe" conditions that one reviewer has. Hopefully that was a once off, never to be repeated event.
Yes, the water is on timed (night rate) immersion but there is a 'booster switch' if needed! The kitchen cooker is old fashioned but works perfectly well. If TV is your thing (why I'd ask) the Sat service has more channels than we have at home.
The reception isn't manned every day but is open to match guest arrival patterns. Guests should bring any matters of concern to receptions attention upon arrival or Monday morning if arriving on Sat/Sun. We've found Rosemary very friendly and helpful.
PS The village of Beaufort, 6km away has a great parkland golf course and a fantastic restaurant. Both at very reasonable prices comparer to Killarney itself.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank IrelandSean

Reviewed 19 June 2013

If you had told me this house was being given to me by free by a college friend I would be happy, because it was functional, but alas people are actually paying to stay here.

Kitchen needs to be updated, no patio furniture, reception unmanned, DVD player didn't work, hot water is by immersion and not instantaneous gas as you might expect.

To summarise there is nothing wrong with this place per se, its just the prices charged should be much lower to reflect the actualy reality of the place

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank frontiergentleman
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is the most unsanitary unsafe place I have ever experienced. Please see the pictuIe i have uploaded, and yes that is fecal matter smudged on the back of my bathroom door! I called the care taker and the office manager and have to wait 24 hrs to get a cleaning crew! After calling and emailing (pics included) both Interval International and Irish Resorts I have had no help on getting my family out of here and going somewhere at leaste sanitary! Shame on you Interval, shame on you Irish Resorts, shame on the care taked and shame on you Marybeth the office manager here ! This property is in liquidation and is in disrepair. The rotted fence in the first cottage we were in fell over thank God my child wasn't playing on the patio! I repeat DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I've stayed here twice and will always return. It's a little ways out of the actual village but if you want to visit a country and really experience the country, this is the place to stay. There is a little bar where the neighboring villagers visit regularly. If you are looking for the lap of luxury this is not where you want to be but then that's not really visiting a country and really experiencing it and the people of the country. Stay home then. Killarney is breathtaking, the history, the castles that you find just along the way. Rent a car, grab a map, plan your trip and what you want to see. Be cautious driving and highly recommend being back to the Killarney area before dark if you plan on venturing any distances. We aren't used to driving on the left or on the tiny roads but it was totally fine once you got used to it. My first trip I drove over 2,000 miles in one week to see the countryside, numerous castles and sites. It was magnificent. As for the self-catering, it's great to be able to have all the amenities available, we packed lunches and hit the road, evenings we would dine in the village. Everything was clean and well kept, if you do go off season as I did just be aware that the office hours are shortened. Again, I can't say enough it's wonderful and a great way to REALLY see the country.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Gisele G
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We had booked an apartment but we are guessing that as we booked out of season we were allocated a 2 bedroomed cottage. What a pleasant surprise. Two bedrooms with an additional bed in the lounge room. Both bedrooms full ensuite. Fully equipped kitchen, lounge,tv, writing desk,- in fact everything that you could ask for. The only problem we found was that we had only booked two nights there!!!!!
As in previous comments there wasn't anyone at reception but our cottage was open and the heating had been out on for us.
Upon our departure, and halfway back to Killarney, we realized that we had left some things behind. A quick call to the caretaker solved all of our problems and we had no problems retrieving our belongings.
Cannot recommend this place highly enough .

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SES56
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

There was no hot water, no people working in reception, no caretaker around. Had papers to call in case of needing anything, but no one answered. I will never recommend this place to anyone. The interval international time share company really screwed up by having this as a destination for holders!!! I should be paid for having to stay here. No hair dryers ladies!!! Not enough towels, & have to pay for extra ones if you find a person who works here.

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank Shamrock6373
Reviewed 4 August 2012

when we drove in and saw the outside of the country club we both looked at one another and said what have we done the flower beds have not been touched in years and the pathways all around are full of weeds. the tennis court is unusable and not safe . the buildings on the outside badly need painting . when we got in to our apartment things looked better . the place was clean there was plenty of hot water .the heating was panel heaters which done the job fine when on but if you turned them off the apartment got cold very fast . one of the bedrooms had damp patches all down one side of the wall which felt wet to the touch . i think the one thing that stood out the most for us was there was one fire extinguisher which had not been serviced since 2010 . there is one external door and all the opens to the windows are top openings which are about four foot from floor level . with some effort this place could be lovely as it was nice and quite in the night time .but over all the outside really lets the place down .we will not be returning .

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank IrelandLou39

Been to Country Club Killarney? Share your experiences!