“Beautiful place to be with excellent service” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Stanwick Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stanwick
Kettering
“Beautiful place to be with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I have visited The Courtyard on many occasions, whether it be for a meal, an over night stay,or just for a night out. I have to say that anyone planning on going there would not be dissapointed. The location is beautiful and well kept, the rooms are clean and quiet and the food is amazing. Also you could not fault the service as everyone is so helpful and friendly, and you are made to feel really welcome. I spent 2008 New Years Eve there with friends and it was an amazing night and the group of people I went with would like to go again in 2009.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Bishops Stortford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

As a regular guest at The Courtyard I was amazed to read a bad review. It has got bigger over the years but the bar & restaurant are great and the place is so popular that the owners are building more rooms and a bigger bar & restaurant can't wait I often can't get a room now.

Keep it up Courtyard especially the friendly staff.

John Charles Dyer

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Northants, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

My partner & I stayed at the Courtyard Luxury Lodge in Stanwick (near Rushden) in Northants on Saturday 20th June 2009 after our friends wedding reception was held there. I was shocked to discover that it was a 5 star hotel as the facilities were poor & the manager very unhelpful, bordering on rude.

When the bride & groom arrived from the church they did not receive a warm welcome & congratulations from the staff, they were told quite rudely, that they were 20 minutes early & they weren't ready for them.

Our 11 month old daughter came with us to the wedding reception in the day & when i asked about changing facilities i was simply told by the male manager, there was none. he said i should ask someone who had a room to use their bed.

there was only 2 waitresses who served over 80 guests the wedding breakfast. the top table had finished their main course but the last table hadn't even been served the same course. i had the vegetarian option of mushroom risotto & it had so much oil on it i poured the oil out into a pint glass and it filled it a quarter full. I felt sick and did not finish my food. the starters were served at 430pm but we didn't get dessert until almost 7pm. i felt this was simply because of the lack of staff and organisation. there was only one barmaid all day to serve 80+ guests.

our room, which cost us £75 for the night for a double room, was tiny. I could only just get round the bed. some of the overnight guests missed breakfast as no one was told what time breakfast was, something i expected them to do when we checked in. we weren't told when we had to check out by either.

The whole day and evening was seriously understaffed. my friend, who was the bride discovered at midnight that neither the manager nor waitresses had cut her wedding cake and no one had given it out. she now has a three tiered cake which no one has eaten. i thought this would've been a basic thing the manager/waitresses should've done after the bride and groom had photos of the cake being cut, they should've served it out.

we had a lovely day and a fantastic time but i think The Courtyard Luxury Lodge seriously let my friends down in their service, for the thousands of pounds they spent, I expected so much more.

for a five star hotel i expected luxury and a warm welcome with friendly, helpful staff. i have stayed in friendlier, more welcoming and more luxurious two star hotels.

I would never go here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank llainey
Cleveland Oh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

We booked a room with twin beds in May 2008. We had been to The Courtyard in 2005 when we were referred by the owner of The Griffin in Higham Ferrers, and our stay that year was wonderful. I added notes in the Forum letting everyone know how wonderful it was. Wrong place to do that, I now realize. So when we knew we were returning this year we made a strong effort to stay at the Courtyard. This was a very different experience. The property has been "improved" to include a restaurant, wedding services, etc. We were a little shocked when we arrived on the date we had made reservations for, since the character of the Courtyard had gone from being a lovely homey place to being a rather cold business. And coldness was what we got. We were told that our twin beds had been changed into a single double bed, which meant that neither of us would get any sleep. I protested, and was put on the line with Kim, the general manager, who gave me excuse after excuse for the blunder but no help at all. It wasn't his fault, he told me, it was the fault of the guy before him. It was his day off, he told me, and he couldn't do anything from a distance. We had booked for 4 nights and would have been understanding if Kim had even once showed an interest in our difficulty. Sadly, what we were given was more excuses and a sort of "take it or leave it" attitude. Portia Farr, the young lady behind the desk, did what her boss should have done: called around and found us suitable accomodations. If I were the owner of the Courtyard, I'd give her his job. She understands how to handle customers and, had she been in charge, we would have been sad that we couldn't stay at this beautiful property but wouldn't have been upset. Now, I doubt that we'll ever go back. Too bad that the owners decided to move away from their business and left it in Kim's care. From other comments on the Northamptonshire forum, I see we aren't the only ones with a bad taste in our mouths.

• Liked — Memories of the earlier happy stay
  • Disliked — That they didn't honor their reservation
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Courtyardhotel54, Owner at The Stanwick Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
I know it is a bit late but I didn't respond to this at the time. We were still very small then and I am sorry that you were caught in the transition from being a family run guest house to a proper hotel with all the facilities. This has all been customer driven because they demanded bigger and better facilities!
The majority of my staff have the customer first ethic and we all try to treat our guests with courtesy and friendliness.
I hope that you have found another estavblishment that meets your needs.

Kind regards

Jo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanwick
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
#1 of 4 in Wellingborough
Bridge Hotel
Bridge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Thrapston

Been to The Stanwick Hotel? Share your experiences!