“Stopover”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, Canada
“Stopover”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I arrived late afternoon at this hotel, having spent the previous eleven days in Lisbon. I had an early flight the next day and wanted to relax.

Check-in went smooth (thanks Pedro) and my invoice was waiting as I had prepaid. The hotel looks remarkably like every other Holiday Inn Express. The room was basic, but did have a window that opened. Television provided lots of English channels. The major drawback was the bed. It was so hard, I could have been sleeping on the floor at the airport.

A short walk into Prior Velho provided at least three restaurants to choose from. I had a good meal with a bottle of wine at a small cost.

The major drawback seems to be timing. I had a 6AM departure the next day. My wake up call never came (it had been incorrectly scheduled for 5AM). The breakfast and shuttle both started far too late for an airport hotel. Fortunately a taxi was only E8.

The lobby also has a bar, and Pedro made a really stiff Gin & Tonic for me.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GWMtravels
Inês M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Overlaid,

Your comment is very important for us, so on the name of all our team we apologize for any inconvenience caused. Feedback from our clients is one of the best ways to keep the quality service standards high, so we can improve what is wrong and maintain what is good.

Sincerely apologize for missing your wake up call. We will make our best to avoid these situations on the future, and we expect to have you with us again in a near future, in order to have another opportunity to welcome you and make the hotel your home.

Inês M.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Köln, Deutschland
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed here just for one night, arriving at 2 AM and leaving again the next morning. The hotel is located in a quite ugly industrial area, next to the highway. Don´t let them tell you anything else. There are NO attractions near the hotel. A bus stop is about 5 minutes walk away with a not too busy schedule to the airport and probably some other metro stations. Other than that, access by public transport is very poor. The hotel offers a shuttle service to the airport but you have to pay for it, which I find absolutely ridiculous and poor service.

The hotel itself is very modern and I liked the room I stayed in. Nice features like a coffee maker and quite nice interior. Beds are very hard, which I like but many people do not. I had a room with a connecting door and when my neighbours were talking in the night, I could hear every word.

The internet connection offered is free of charge but was incredibly slow. I tried to make a flight booking and it was too slow, didn´t work. Breakfast is offered free of charge and for that price, it is quite okay. But, for an airport hotel, with many people staying here to catch an early morning flight, breakfast starts very late, at 6.

All in all a nice hotel but with too many negatives to make it attractive for me as a quick overnight stay near the airport. With Lisbon´s city centre so close to the airport, I would recommend to stay there, even if it is just a quick overnight stay. In order to be attractive, this hotel would need to offer free and frequent shuttle service and FAST internet as well as early breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank airevents
Inês M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Airevents,

We thank you in advance for choosing Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport.

Sincerely apologize for not offering you the express breakfast.

Travellers are raving about these Prior Velho hotels

Arizona
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a twelve hour layover so we took a taxi from the airport to the downtown area of Lisbon for a tour. After the tour we grabbed another taxi and he took us to this HIE near the airport. As a Platinum member I was immediately recognized upon arrival.

All we wanted was a room for about 4 1/2 hours to shower and take a quick nap. The shower was hot and the water pressure sufficient. The shower door was a little unique but functional. The A/C was not working but it was cool enough outside for us to open our window and the breeze really helped. The hotel has a unique layout and this hotel did not remind me of a HIE property. However, it was clean and the staff at the front desk was exceptionally friendly!

As we prepared to leave we asked the front desk to call us a taxi. She said that they had a driver headed to the airport so we could catch a ride. This was so nice... until she informed us that it would be a charge per person. I'm not sure if we were overcharged or if it would have been cheaper with a taxi but we did make it back to the airport with no problems. It was nine minutes from the hotel to the airport on a Saturday around 6 p.m. The driver was very nice and we enjoyed talking with him.

As a side note... there is NOTHING around this hotel to walk to or see. There are no restaurants or stores so just know this when you make your reservations. I would stay here again if I just needed one night of rest and a quick ride to the airport; otherwise, I would take the 20 minute ride and stay downtown Lisbon.

Room Tip: As an Ambassador Platinum Elite - we just received an average two bed room so I'm not sure they...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank im4duke
Inês M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport for being an IHG Platinum Rewards Member.

Feedback from our clients is one of the best ways to keep the quality service high and consistent. We expect to have you with us again in a near visit to Lisbon.

Colorado Mountains
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This property is exactly what you would expect from the name.
However it was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff were MAGNIFICENT.All of them speak very good English.
I was robbed of my passports,money and iPad when thieves broke into my car near Evora.
I arrived at the hotel with no money and in a difficult situation as I was flying the next morning early.
They arranged a shuttle which took me to the Embassy and then waited,after helping me contact the Embassy. The upshot was I had a travel document in hand about 2 hours later and they charged everything to my hotel bill which CC number they had from a previous stay.
THe food is not to be recommended but I could not say it was bad...just not very tasty.
The breakfast on the other hand was very adequate...I think they have a very small kitchen and the line cook, NOT a chef, is given very little leeway to be creative.

Room Tip: Higher up as there is some road noise in the mornings
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Christopher M
Dear Christopher M,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay.
We're very appreciative that you enjoyed our Hotel. We're very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Most importantly, we would like to apologize for not having a tasty meal.
We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Recife, PE
Reviewed 14 March 2014

It was an average airport hotel. I wouldn't stay again. No hot water in the room, and they staff couldn't fix it or move us to another room. Honestly, they treated us like we were idiots that couldn't figure out a euro-shower. It was very frustrating. Once they finally admitted it was broken, they basically shrugged and said there was nothing they could do. Couldn't move us to another room, no comps, nothing. Also, there was no AC and the bed was just two twin beds pushed together, making for a very lopsided sleep. Breakfast was blah. There are plenty of other options at the airport. Don't bother with this one.

Room Tip: No hot water and no AC, don't bother with this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Eric O
Inês M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Eric O,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us.
We're deeply sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret you found our facilities and guest services less than satisfactory. Rest assured, your thoughts will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

YYC
Reviewed 2 March 2014

So we stayed there because we had a morning flight. In the past we had stayed at the Radisson. Neither place is really that close to the airport, and neither is particularly nice, but the Holiday Inn is clearly worse. Good new is that there is a hotel that's opening soon right at the airport.

Rooms are small and stuffy. They have some sort of a restaurant, with horrible food and they charge EUR12 for some cheap wine that retails for EUR 2 or 2.50. But then no real alternative.

Breakfast is not what you expect in Portugal but the typical Holiday Inn worldwide thing. Only redeeming value is that they have an espresso machine. We ended up having breakfast at the TAP airport lounge.

Poor location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bauwens
Inês M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Bauwens,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport.

We will make our best to avoid these situations on the future, and we expect to have you with us again in a near future.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was a bit apprehensive to book a room here, based on some of the negative reviews I saw on tripadvisor. I am pleased to report that my stay at the Holiday Inn Express was extremely positive!

My partner and I had an early flight out of Lisbon on February 8th. We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express on the evening of the 7th. The room was small, but we really only needed a place to hang our hat before the flight, so to speak. As another poster reported, there was only one bath towel in the bathroom, but the extra towels were placed in clear view on a shelf in the main room, not hidden.

The decor was modern and new. We had no issues with the free internet that was provided to guests. We used the computer and printer in the lobby to print out our boarding passes and all went well. The front desk staff was friendly and professional. I would like to compliment Joao and Mariana, the "face" of the Holiday Inn Express on the night we arrived. Mariana went above and beyond for us. She told us the best night spots in Lisbon, ordered a taxi for us, and explained to him where we should be dropped off. The driver had spent some time in France as a youth, and my partner and he chatted in French. He gave us some great tips for our visit and took great pride in showing us some of the beautiful spots on our way to our destination. I wish I'd paid attention to the name of the Taxi company, because that driver deserves a compliment as well!

We had dinner out in Lisbon, but the Holiday Inn Express did offer a dinner on site. The breakfast was more than adequate. Cereal, milk, yogurt, fresh fruit, several different types of bread, rolls, etc. Marmalade, butter, jam, pastries, orange juice, coffee, a machine that cranked out lattes, cappuccinos, etc. I was more than satisfied.

So, to summarize...reasonably priced, practically on the tarmac of the airport, modern, clean, with great staff. I'm definitely staying here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annette L
Inês M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Annette L,

What a wonderful review! Thank you very much for taking time to express your thoughts. It will be shared with our team.

Looking forward to serve you again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prior Velho
VIP Executive Arts Hotel
VIP Executive Arts Hotel
#181 of 247 in Lisbon
TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport? Share your experiences!