My sister and I spent two nights at the Wilderness Retreat. it is located as close as it is possible to be to Flinders Chase National Park at the western end of Kangaroo Island. The very pleasant owners of the lodge are trying hard to be ecologically responsible. They have a bio-waste water recycling pond, and while they realise the irony of providing airconditioning and TV, they feel they need to do that in order to keep their four stars. But the property is filled with trees and birds, and the overweight littleTammar wallabies looking for a handout are a real plus for most people. Our room was comfortable but not lavish, we liked sitting out on our little veranda, the restaurant provides excellent food, and there are walks around the property that are pleasant and interesting.
The location can't be beat for people interested in visiting the national park. Be aware that it has just about been burnt to the ground, and it will be years, perhaps decades, before it is revegetated. It is hard to believe that the many firefighters made any kind of effort to save the park vegetation, just the buildings and continiguous blue gum plantations on private land. However, the heathland around Cape du Couedic is intact, including near Weir's cove and the Remarkables, and the NZ fur seal colony is well worth visiting. We spent part of two days there and also drove to Cape Borda to see the lighthouse and the Beautiful Firetail finches that hang out near the picnic shelter. (There is a tiny little pool with a drip feeding it that keeps them there.)
If you are interested in nature and need a very pleasant base in the west of Kangaroo Island you will be happy with the Wilderness Retreat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated adjacent Flinders Chase National Park a unique mix of eco-friendly facilities, local food and wine and located in the middle of the forrest provide an unforgettable wilderness experience. The idyllic location provides the perfect base for discovering the splendor of Kangaroo Island's natural wonders before returning to the tranquillity of the retreat to enjoy comfortable accommodation in the company of friendly native animals and an amazing array of birdlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Hotel Flinders Chase
- Hotel Kangaroo Island
- Wilderness Retreat Kangaroo Island
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Flinders Chase