We stayed in the Eco Lodge - which is apparently where some of the staff stay too. The rooms were small sized but adequate, and the bathroom clean and neat. In terms of facilities, there was a tiny bar fridge and a kettle for tea and coffee making.
We unfortunately had a family with a small noisy child next door and the thin walls meant we were subjected to hearing every shriek the child made.
We had only a small window looking outside, so there was no chance to really watch wildlife from our room - by the looks of it, only the more expensive suites had that privilege.
On the plus side, the location of the Wilderness Retreat meant we could have an early start in the morning and zoom straight down to Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch, beating the crowds and enjoying the early morning views. This is by far the preferred location to stay to explore the Western Side of the island.
We would recommend bringing everything you might need for the stay as options to purchase food etc is very limited in this area. Buy all food before you arrive!! Fill the car with fuel before you leave the bigger towns! The free wi-fi in the reception area is a bonus that was greatly appreciated in such a remote location. Phone reception was minimal, as was to be expected.
Overall, it was perfectly adequate accommodation but nothing special. The location more than makes up for the boring rooms, and does give you a definite bonus in the early morning start to see the spectacular scenery nearby. Drive carefully on the roads as we saw LOTS of Tammar Wallabies and K.I Kangaroos!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated adjacent Flinders Chase National Park a unique mix of eco-friendly facilities, local food and wine and located in the middle of the forrest provide an unforgettable wilderness experience. The idyllic location provides the perfect base for discovering the splendor of Kangaroo Island's natural wonders before returning to the tranquillity of the retreat to enjoy comfortable accommodation in the company of friendly native animals and an amazing array of birdlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Hotel Flinders Chase
- Hotel Kangaroo Island
- Wilderness Retreat Kangaroo Island
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Flinders Chase