This retreat was part of a package that we got through Flight Centre, and I am very glad that it was included. We would come back again and book directly with them anytime.
We stayed in one of the courtyard suites, and it was very nice accommodation considering the location. I was pleasantly surprised by the room, after reading some other reviews, but I guess that is the difference between the courtyard suites and the Eco Lodge. The porch out the front lets you sit down and relax with a nice glass of whatever and think about what amazing wilderness and nature you have seen during the day.
The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom, while a little dated, provided a very good shower, which is want you want after a day of walking around taking in all the nature the island has to offer. There is a good sized TV, with only a few channels, surprisingly only 1 free to air - which was the ABC, and a few foxtel channels, which suited us fine. There is a bar fridge, that would be able to hold some supplies you want to bring, but as it is not an apartment hotel set up, there is no crockery or cutlery, or microwave to do anything with it if you needed to cook. I am not exactly sure of the facilities for the eco lodge, as we were not in that part of the retreat, but I understand there is a shared outdoor BBQ/kitchen that you can use if you wish to cook your own food. There is a kettle with the usual tea and coffee accessories available.
We chose to eat at the hotel restaurant, which you need to book to eat in, and it was excellent food, and the service was very good as well, although we were travelling in a quiet period of the year. It is a little pricey if you were backpacking etc, but we were happy to pay the prices, and the food was good value, excellent quality and a very good example of championing local produce and wines. I had the best kangaroo I have ever eaten there.
Breakfast is also served in the same restaurant with continental or full breakfast options at the typical hotel prices.
BBQ Packs can be purchased for you to cook yourself, but we did not do that. Lunch packs are available if you give advance notice, but again, we did not use that facility, so I cannot comment on how they were.
There is free wifi available, but only in or near the large hotel reception with lots of lounges and a fire for the cold days in winter, I am with Telstra and had 3G/4G reception in our room, so it was not a huge issue for us. There are also DVD's that you can take back to your room if you feel like watching a movie, along with many books to read.
The general feeling of the retreat is very calm, as all the courtyard suites face into a small little wilderness in the middle of the retreat where birds work as your alarm clock in the morning. The proximity to the Flinders Chase National Park is what gives this retreat it's edge, as it is only 4km from the visitors centre, so you can get a good early start to the day before the park gets crowded. It has it's own small nature walk options, and overall, was a very pleasant experience for being in the middle of nowhere!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated adjacent Flinders Chase National Park a unique mix of eco-friendly facilities, local food and wine and located in the middle of the forrest provide an unforgettable wilderness experience. The idyllic location provides the perfect base for discovering the splendor of Kangaroo Island's natural wonders before returning to the tranquillity of the retreat to enjoy comfortable accommodation in the company of friendly native animals and an amazing array of birdlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Hotel Flinders Chase
- Hotel Kangaroo Island
- Wilderness Retreat Kangaroo Island
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Flinders Chase